Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiat Abarth 595/695

Fiat Abarth 595/695

Fiat Abarth 595/695

The hottest version of the Fiat 500 came of course from the magic hands of Carlo Abarth, turning the diminutive car into a real bomb.

In 1963 the 500 became subject of the Abarth treatment, initially as the 595 increasing power of the vertical twin cylinder engine from 18 to 28 BHP and next as the 695 with the 32 bhp and the ultimate version, the 695 SS (esse esse) which had 38 BHP in standard trim but could easily reach 50-55 BHP and much more if needed in the competition with the BMW 700 CS and the sister car, the Steyr Puch

Production stopped in 1971 and in good Abarth tradition no production figures are known, but is not unlikely that currently more of them exist than were ever produced, taking into account the numerous conversions of the regular 500.

Here are some older pics of the car taken at various occasions in Europe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

OMG!? Another one similar to all these other micro cars being posted!
    Before Posting Please Watch This Short Video... URL=http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

hope you like them, there is a lot to learn here
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

695 "esse esse" at Lisbon this year.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Beautiful. As a Fiat 500 owner, I do love the Abarth 500s!

They fetch a fairly hefty sum these days if they're the real deal (£10,000+) but there are a lot of imitations around now. Too many people take a standard Fiat 500, put it on 126 running gear and put a Fiat Panda or 126 head on the standard 500 engine block to gain the extra horses through higher compression and higher capacity. Then paint the car yellow, buy after-market Abarth badges and off you go. One "Abarth" Fiat 500 ... not.

Mind you, to be fair these folk are only doing what Abarth did in the first place I guess. I dread to think what it must feel like doing 120kph in the original Abarth models. 90kph in the standard 500 is terrifying ... truly!

G
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Yeeaahh ,, Many great memorys about this little cars !
    They may look like toy´s ,, But I sure u they was´nt !
    Abarth was a little fast car ...
    I dont think many of u in this Forum got a car that would go
    faster around the race track !

Challe /
    http://race68.com

@henk4

Nice pictures. I remember the car in the first picture. It is a genuine 595, which has been upgraded to 695 specs by the former owner in Holland. He also widened the arches. I wonder where this car has gone.......Sadly the former ownet passed away about 5 years ago.

The third picture is also a delight to look at. Do you remember where you took this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    695 "esse esse" at Lisbon this year.
    Great shots and a nice car! Any more info on this car? There are several fender sets available to widen your 500 nowadays, but this car seems to have the original Abarth style fenders!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Corse
    Great shots and a nice car! Any more info on this car? There are several fender sets available to widen your 500 nowadays, but this car seems to have the original Abarth style fenders!
    Hi Alex and welcome to UCP. I'm glad to see someone with extensive knowledge about the amazing Abarths here. I love them.
    Are you in any way related to Abarths? Do you race them or work on them?

I have no further info on this car but it had been recently imported to Portugal judging by the license plate. It was in great shape and for sail. Wish I had the money.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Corse
    @henk4

Nice pictures. I remember the car in the first picture. It is a genuine 595, which has been upgraded to 695 specs by the former owner in Holland. He also widened the arches. I wonder where this car has gone.......Sadly the former ownet passed away about 5 years ago.

The third picture is also a delight to look at. Do you remember where you took this picture?
    Hi Alex, welcome to UCP, I would have to carefully think where I took the engine shot of the 695. It is pre-digital, so I would have to check my negatives, it is quite old though.

more recent are two pics of a 1972 model that went on auction at RM in Monterey in August of this year

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Hi Alex and welcome to UCP. I'm glad to see someone with extensive knowledge about the amazing Abarths here. I love them.
    Are you in any way related to Abarths? Do you race them or work on them?

I have no further info on this car but it had been recently imported to Portugal judging by the license plate. It was in great shape and for sail. Wish I had the money.
    Thanks for the wellcome, McReis! I have been a big Abarth enthusiast for years. I do not race them, but I do work on them. I have several friends who own Abarths and I am trying to help them to find info and parts. I am hoping to buy a genuine 695SS in a few years. Last year I sold my two Abarth A112's to make time and space for the 695.
    Do you have anymore shots of the car in question? Maybe the dashboard and a detailed shot of the engine? Any idea what is sold for?
    Last edited by Alex_Corse; 12-28-2006 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Hi Alex, welcome to UCP, I would have to carefully think where I took the engine shot of the 695. It is pre-digital, so I would have to check my negatives, it is quite old though.

more recent are two pics of a 1972 model that went on auction at RM in Monterey in August of this year
    Thanks for the wellcome, Henk! The engine looks good and has got my interest. The inlet-manifold is non-Abarth though.

Argghhhh, that yellow 1972! I read it was sold for 30800 dollar! I hope the new owner is not related to you or me......this car is a true fake all over.....All the details are wrong!

The engine is based on a 650cc Fiat 126 engine (maybe even unaltered), base car is a 500R which can be recognized by the engine support; Rocker cover is replica, data-plate belongs in the front compartment, not in the engine bay.....even the designation is wrong! Wheels are CMR/Borrani and look like the Abarth wheels, but are not identical (I have a set myself).....

I just had a look at the car this morning, on this site:
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...a/default.aspx

Alex
    Last edited by Alex_Corse; 12-28-2006 at 08:09 AM.

also from the site you quoted:;

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...0,0/photo.aspx

sometimes things go horribly wrong

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    also from the site you quoted:;

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...0,0/photo.aspx

sometimes things go horribly wrong
    Early examples of rice perhaps... ?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Early examples of rice perhaps... ?
    no the wrong picture with the car being described...

Thread Information