Thread: Bryan's MGB GT

Bryan's MGB GT

It's been a while, but I thought I put a thread about my little project.

She's a 1970 B GT(built 10/69), and I've had her since August. Found it locally for a good price and decided to go for it.

I'm working on restoring her to driver condition and modifying it a bit to get some more performance. I am toying with the idea of a V8 conversion, but as the engine runs fine I'm focusing on the suspenion and brakes. It also need to be completely rewired thanks to some rodents and the rigors of time and the mid-atlantic climate. The right side sill has to be redone as well thanks to some serious rust. It's just a hobby though so it's not exactly happening in a big hurry.

The structure's solid and the body's completely straight. The car came with quite a few spare parts and did drive before I started disassembling it, though not very well thanks to frozen drums and worn suspension.

The front suspension is now completely disassembled. The rear end is coming out this weekend. I'll have more pictures soon.

Tell me what you all think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Buy a real car, you hippy.

No seriously, drop the Rover engine in, would be immense. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Buy a real car, you hippy.

Good luck!
    I'm working on buying a real car, these things take time and consideration. Thanks though.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

I concur. Rover V8!

All I can say is good luck man, and have fun, there seems to be quite a lot of fun to be had working on this car.

And it's nice seeing you two posting again.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Awesome! I've always wanted one of those cars. I might have some new old stock and other misc. parts for it if you are interested. I have some panasports w/slicks for the wire wheel hub, but they are 13" and might not fit. Also, auto-x that beotch.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Congratulations on your pinnacle of british engineering.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Maybe in a few years...
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

seen some really neat examples, hopefully uors will follow suit
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Awesome! I've always wanted one of those cars. I might have some new old stock and other misc. parts for it if you are interested. I have some panasports w/slicks for the wire wheel hub, but they are 13" and might not fit. Also, auto-x that beotch.
    Yeah Johnny, it's going to get auto-xed. I'll drop you a PM about parts. I have a pretty good source locally, but he can be somewhat frustrating to deal with.

First, not sure on US imports ... BUT ... the '69 BGT is a buggar to shoe horn a V8 in to.
    You will have to reconstruct most of the front end chassis to widen it. Sorry man !!
    Not the best auto-x MG as it's heavier body makes it less nimble than the B and midget.
    We tried for two seasons to mod a BGT for classic forest/tarmac rallying. Controlled parts meant we couldn't uprate the rears to discs ... first thing I'd recommend for auto-x before searching out the power-excess
    MGCs straight 6 is a nice sounding "original" mod that doesn't take excessive work to install.
    What classes in auto-x do you want to run and how much originality do you want to keep ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Looks like it will be a nice project. It will definitely take some time.

At least it still ran when you first got her. Your off to a good start
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    First, not sure on US imports ... BUT ... the '69 BGT is a buggar to shoe horn a V8 in to.
    You will have to reconstruct most of the front end chassis to widen it. Sorry man !!
    Not the best auto-x MG as it's heavier body makes it less nimble than the B and midget.
    We tried for two seasons to mod a BGT for classic forest/tarmac rallying. Controlled parts meant we couldn't uprate the rears to discs ... first thing I'd recommend for auto-x before searching out the power-excess
    MGCs straight 6 is a nice sounding "original" mod that doesn't take excessive work to install.
    What classes in auto-x do you want to run and how much originality do you want to keep ?
    I'm well aware of the work required to get the V8 in to it, and yes, it is just as much of a pain in the ass for US imports. I'm not the type to be easily detered, the V8 conversion is still very possible in the early cars and isn't that uncommon in them here.

Also aware that it weighs more than other MGs and therefore isn't the most ideal for autox. It's not going to be dedicated racer and it's what was available for a price I wanted to pay.

While it would be really cool to intal the straight 6, I doubt I'd be able to find the engine and performance parts for it are more expensive than those for a V8 or the 1.8L. I'm not opposed just modifying the original engine, for now, though, driveline work isn't a priority it all works so it'll be the last thing to get torn down.

I've not worked out what class I'd want to compete in with this car, I'm still weighing out my options in that regard. Originality certainly isn't a concern. I plan on keeping it for the forseeable future and I'd rather enjoy the car than try to make a profit on it. Discs for the rear are on the to-do list though, as well as composite leaf springs, a panhard rod and converting to tube shocks.

Thanks for the reply and I'd be interested to hear more about your attempts with that BGT.

Thread Information