Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what anti virus software do you use?

I was running Norton antivirus it slowed my PC down considerably, but I put up with that to be safe, till I got 2 Trojan’s and it didn’t catch them so I gave it the flick.
    Now I run Ad-Aware 6, zone alarm pro and this http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    PS: the house call was the only one to find and get rid of the Trojan’s and it’s free

I use Pc-cillin
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

I don't use any antivirus software, because I have a Mac, i'm not worried about viruses.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

there are a lot of antivirus software out there. However I would say from my own standpoint, that a good antivirus needs to be very light, very complete when it comes to online protection. There are a lot of malware sites that can infect your websites with a lot of viruses and collect your data and files using spyware tools. So I guess there's quite a lot to tell. I've been using the latest version of ZenOK Free Antivirus and it's working for me.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-19-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: removed spam link

I use McAfee, although AVG is good. But whats the point of this thread, its got nothing to do with cars, this is a car site.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

^^ It's why we've a "Miscellaneous" so that forum members can help each other without folks having to go to a hundred forums

Microsoft Essentials ( as previously recommended ) is now on release 2 with more features and still free

EDIT: ZenOK, Is it still constantly trying to SELL you the backup solution ?
    If you're geeky or serious about protection then watch the video before following random advice on internet to use security solutions ....
    http://www.youtube.com/v/JkD_pTsEgYg
    In fact, it's so bad I've removed the link from the original poster - it was borderline spam anyway
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-19-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I use NONE. Never had a single problem in the 1.5 years I am using this notebook now. If you are just careful what you do (on the internet) my experience is that you should be fine and have money left for beer

hmmm youi ARE running a firewall I hope ?
    and how are you stopping scripts hidden in valid looking ads on web pages AND still getting a reasonable web experience ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Off-topic, but related, how long does it take a virus to become outdated?

I did a backup on some stuff some months ago and I'm quite sure it was infected. I haven't touched it ever since but I'd like to do so eventually.

If I simply plug it in now, could I be sure the normal anti-virus here at work or at home would detect and deal with it?
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Not necessarily. I'd recommend caution if you do plug it in, disconnected from the internet and whatnot after making sure your virus definitions are up to date. As long as nothing autoruns when you plug it in you're probably ok, but can't say for sure.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Okay...
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Virus never become "out dated". The risk is always present and every decent AV software ADDS to the virus definitions and never discards old ones.

It is possible that the infection may still be "dangerous" and I'd recommend installing on to a clean system, check and extract the files you need and then re-install that clean system. I keep a machine just for this purpose for clients.

As Pimento says, with care you can reasonably restore the backup and tehn scan the content. JUST make sure you've rock solid AV protection on the machine you do this and be willing to restore it if it goes tits up. Preferably run two or more AV products against it. Not ideal but workable

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    hmmm youi ARE running a firewall I hope ?
    and how are you stopping scripts hidden in valid looking ads on web pages AND still getting a reasonable web experience ?
    The only firewall I have is the standard one that comes with Windows. Probably useless anyway. I do know that when I use the school network, it blocks some pages with a lot of crap on it. When the network works, that is..

My web experience is actually pretty decent I guess. I use Chrome now and it's really fast. Never noticed a single hick-up really. That's why I became a bit sceptic of this money-eating software. I am probably going to regret it one day, but i've been thinking this for two years now. I just re-install Windows once a year to clean my HDD or in this case upgrade to 7 Professional. My way-to-expensive notebook is running super-smooth all the time.

Windows 7 firewall and anti-virus is now recognised as one of the leading ones
    AND IT'S FREE
    Not sue if the XP/Vista firewall updates were all compatible, but the Essentials is.
    Chrome doesn't protect you on it's own

I use AVG anti-virus.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Thread Information