Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Toyota Supra (A90) 2019-

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    As I was saying about a couple of months ago, who cares a infotainment when you have that engine under the bonnet.

I would even be interested if they brought here one of the fours and it was offered at a reasonable price.

One of the things that bother me is why do they offer those cars with such ridiculous tyres. The base Z4 has 255/45 R17 tyres in the back. Why? Why such big tyres for less than 200bhp?

I understand that the Supra suffers the same fate.

(By comparison the 320i, which weights about 30kg more, has 205/60 R16 tyres all round...)
    I'm going to argue the counterpoint, because if you're offering an infotainment as an option, I'm going to naturally compare what you offer to every other automaker.

And if the standard across the board is that Apple Car Play is free, why in the world the only 2 automaker(s) are you charging for it? Toyota has always been behind on infotainment, so I'm not surprised a bit.

I'm really nit picking here, because I don't even use an Apple phone so it won't realistically affect me.

Again, I'm happy they even made a big coupe with a straight six, but there are a few decisions Toyota made that just boggle the mind.

I think this was something more to do with what BMW does, rather than a decision on Toyota's side.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

They're selling it as a GT rather than a sportscar, so having a useful entertainment system is low-hanging fruit that automakers consistently manage to **** up.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

But then again is it, really?

My car does not have Apple Car Play or Android thing, but you can download apps for it and you can see emails and stuff in the infotainment screen.

I fail to see the point.

It has sat-nav to know where I want to go and Bluetooth connectivity in case someone calls me. I fail to see how will I need more infotainment than that in a car I am supposed to be driving and I doubt Apple Cap Play can provide anything meaningful other than whats has already been mentioned. I understand that the Supra will also have those (GPS and Bluetooth) as standard, so GT car or not I doubt anybody will need anything else in that aspect in their car.

Not if you intend to drive it, at least.
    Visca Catalunya!

Android Auto really integrates apps well into cars. And I think it is important now. Specifically two: Spotify, and Maps. Having quality integration for sound (and good speakers) and sat nav is important to consumers/me. The rest... Yeah forget it.

I think this was something more to do with what BMW does, rather than a decision on Toyota's side.
    I mean yes, it goes to show how much BMW is in this Toyota, which is why people still lambast the Supra.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    They're selling it as a GT rather than a sportscar, so having a useful entertainment system is low-hanging fruit that automakers consistently manage to **** up.
    Agreed! Toyota is quite possible the most stubborn Japanese automaker perhaps other than Nissan, but Nissan makes nothing desirable other than the GT-R and maybe the 10 year old 370Z. I think Toyota once put out a press release saying they have no need for infotainment systems and they have already optimized it to the best of their abilities.

Even Honda has Apple Car Play and Android Auto integration across much of their lineup.

If Toyota is going to screw it up this badly, they might as well just sell a car with no infotainment and an empty double din dash cluster so I can choose my own head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Android Auto really integrates apps well into cars. And I think it is important now. Specifically two: Spotify, and Maps. Having quality integration for sound (and good speakers) and sat nav is important to consumers/me. The rest... Yeah forget it.
    It is a legitimate concern for me, because if I'm plonking down 60k for a modern GT coupe, it better damn well be modern. If I wanted no infotainment system, I'd rather just get a Mk4 Supra or older.

My car has Spotify integration.

I think.
    Visca Catalunya!

My car has Spotify integration.

I think.
    I mean, the two cars we have in the family has a CD player and a cassette deck.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I mean, the two cars we have in the family has a CD player and a cassette deck.
    I can’t be arsed to dedicate more than 45 seconds to this, but I can have Flickr and wikipedia. Surely Spotify must be buried somewhere or other in a submenu...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

I can’t be arsed to dedicate more than 45 seconds to this, but I can have Flickr and wikipedia. Surely Spotify must be buried somewhere or other in a submenu...
    Honestly, it's quite convenient to have a cassette deck in an older car, as it's fastest way to add modern phone connectivity with a AUX cassette deck adapter to the current system that way. In a new car you would need to splice in an AUX port to the radio and it's a mess.

I'm really baffled at the Flickr bit, I'm not sure why you'd need that in a car ever.

Android Auto is definitely a must have for a car built in 2019, as you can't trust the automakers to update their infotainment system properly. Look at the rolling dumpster fire of Ford Sync. If you depend on a company that brought out Windows Phone and the Zune to make your infotainment system, you're kind of screwed even if they were at one point the 3rd most popular phone operating system.

No surprises, BMW backs off on charging people for Apple Car Play.

So hopefully Toyota changes course too, because it was totally unreasonable.

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-wont-charge...ppl-1840212951

Thread Information