Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimatecarpage.com update (10-18-06)

Ultimatecarpage.com update (10-18-06)

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

Even though there were nearly 200 of the world's most spectacular vehicles on display on the 18th fairway of the Pebble Beach golf course, two cars were featured very prominently in all of our photographers' shots. There is a lot more that these, the Bucciali TAV 8-32 'Fleche d'Or' and Voisin C20 Mylord Demi-Berline, have in common. Both cars are designed by aviation pioneers, feature the same Voisin sleeve-valve V12 engine, sport a stylish art-deco coachwork and are one-offs. Our favourite was the Bucciali, which is the only one ever delivered to a customer by this ill-fated manufacturer. It comes complete with the front-wheel drive system pioneered by Albert Bucciali. Being the single survivor of his fine vehicles, this was our only opportunity to tell his life story, which is as interesting as his many achievements and our 2500 words still only cover the surface. For this alone we would like to recommend Christian Huet's fabulous Bucciali book, which is one of the most interesting automotive books published in recent years.
    Voisin Gabriel Voisin operated much in the same spirit as Bucciali in not following convention, but by giving his cars' design a personal touch they are easily recognizable. The C20 Mylord Demi-Berline featured today is arguably his finest work. With an underslung chassis and sleeve-valve V12 engine the C20 is a technical tour de force, and with its art-deco inspired coachwork, it also scores good marks in the aesthetics department. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Gabriel Voisin was responsible for both the mechanicals and design.

Bucciali TAV 8-32 Saoutchik 'Fleche d'Or' Berline
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2925

Voisin C20 'Mylord' Demi-Berline
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2926

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

What do you mean 'Being the single survivor of his fine vehicles'?

I have photographed three of his cars, and they are all TAVs.
    Last edited by Dickrich; 10-18-2006 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickrich
    What do you mean 'Being the single survivor of his fine vehicles'?

I have photographed three of his cars, and they are all TAVs.
    Bring them on then. Contribute rather than just critisize......
    Last edited by henk4; 10-18-2006 at 08:49 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Critisize? I was looking for clarification, and a source hopefully.

It's hard to believe all the 25 or so other cars just dissapeared, especially considering that there are contemporary pictures in Huet's book.

The forum doesn't support image uploading as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Dickrich; 10-18-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Critisize? I was looking for a clarification, and a source hopefully.

It's hard to believe all the 25 or so other cars just dissapeared, especially considering that there are contemporary pictures in Huet's book.

There is a very simple attachment system.......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks for the upload, it is always nice when claims about car history can be properly supported...

Critisize? I was looking for clarification, and a source hopefully.

That's one of the show chassis that was fitted with a Mercedes body in the 1980s. There were only four Bucciali chassis constructed of which just one received a serial number.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

It is still a surviving Bucciali with an original chassis.

It is still a surviving Bucciali with an original chassis.
    No it is a surviving Bucciali chassis, not a complete car.

(Ted Joans)

Well your definition of 'surviving' is interesting since the TAV8 doesn't have an original chassis, nor original interior, running boards, radiator, fenders...

Under your terms, it's just a surviving engine and greenhouse.

This is what I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucciali Article
    Sadly not a single (complete) Buc or Bucciali has survived, although many parts of the TAV projects are still around.

(Ted Joans)

I only read "Being the single survivor of his fine vehicles"...

In any case the pictures look good.

I only read "Being the single survivor of his fine vehicles"...
    It is the closest we will ever get to seeing one of his complete vehicles. Unless the Blackhawk chassis gets its Labourdette body back, which is currently fitted on a Mathis chassis and in Huet's hands.

(Ted Joans)

Someone might body the V16 prototype chassis too.

Thread Information