Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Last minute Koenigsegg, Lamborghini and Porsche news from Geneva ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Why? It's got a long bonnet, short overhangs and a tiny cabin. It should look good, sportcars like.
    it is a pathetic effort to produce a small four seater family car, with a longitudinally placed engine and stubbornly sticking to RWD as being the non-plus-ultra. And they knew how they could have come up with something smarter looking, as they once produced the 2002.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it is a pathetic effort to produce a small four seater family car, with a longitudinally placed engine and stubbornly sticking to RWD as being the non-plus-ultra. And they knew how they could have come up with something smarter looking, as they once produced the 2002.
    I can agree with all of that. Still, there's nothing inherently wrong with its proportions as far as aesthetics are concerned. It is the detailing that lets it down.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

perhaps we should define aesthetics. I my eyes the car is butt ugly. Even the Z3-Coupe wins it by mile in the looks department.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

it is a pathetic effort to produce a small four seater family car, with a longitudinally placed engine and stubbornly sticking to RWD as being the non-plus-ultra.
    BMW manages to sell approx 200,000 1-series annually. I wouldn't call that a pathetic effort.

Apparently I am the only one here who finds 1er appealing, both in detailing and in proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    BMW manages to sell approx 200,000 1-series annually. I wouldn't call that a pathetic effort.

Apparently I am the only one here who finds 1er appealing, both in detailing and in proportions.
    it is a pathetic effort because it can hardly take four persons...

perhaps we should define aesthetics. I my eyes the car is butt ugly. Even the Z3-Coupe wins it by mile in the looks department.
    As I said I don't disagree, the 1er is not a good looking car. But the proportions are ok, it's the detailing that makes it look bad. As you mention it, the Z3 Coupe is a car with same proportions but good detailing, and as a result a good looking car in my opinion.
    Visca Catalunya!

There are many cars that can't take four people and aren't pathetic. It is not practical, I agree, and I will agree on the looks as well, but everything else is brilliant and it's hard to deny it.
    Visca Catalunya!

There are many cars that can't take four people and aren't pathetic.
    Yes, mostly cars that don't pretend to be able to carry four people...

And by hardly, you mean....?

It CAN take four people, that is the fact.

Yes, mostly cars that don't pretend to be able to carry four people...
    Strange, usually it's the americans taking this stance and the europeans defending the car. I've sat in the back seat of a 128i and if my fat ass can fit comfortably I'm thinking anyone not big enough to play american footbal professionally should be fine. Do we get different versions or something?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I think you only get the Coupe, but I believe both the Coupe and hatchback have the same interior space, altough the Coupe's boot is probably bigger.

By the way, last week I was able to fit four people (including me) inside easily as well. Only the access to the back seats wasn't very comfortable, but that's because it's the three door model.

In any case, I agree it's not the most practical or spacious car in the world due to its layout.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think you only get the Coupe, but I believe both the Coupe and hatchback have the same interior space, altough the Coupe's boot is probably bigger.

By the way, last week I was able to fit four people (including me) inside easily as well. Only the access to the back seats wasn't very comfortable, but that's because it's the three door model.

In any case, I agree it's not the most practical or spacious car in the world due to its layout.
    I think a dedicated platform and some good engineering could have improved this. As it is it's not much lighter than the 3 nor is it much cheaper, but I see the potential of another 2002 type vehicle. Still, I wouldn't call it unlivable.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Well I understand using shared parts with the 3er, since after all BMW car manufacturers are bussiness, but the 1 Series isn't that much smaller which could explain partly as well why it's not that much lighter than its bigger brother.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well I understand using shared parts with the 3er, since after all BMW car manufacturers are bussiness, but the 1 Series isn't that much smaller which could explain partly as well why it's not that much lighter than its bigger brother.
    Right. I guess my problem isn't so much the shared parts (as long as it's done well I never object to that) so much as the feeling that if it shared fewer parts then maybe there would have been a bigger difference in size and weight, not to mention cost. I guess I was looking for a new mini but a bit more BMWish than just shared suspension.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Right. I guess my problem isn't so much the shared parts (as long as it's done well I never object to that) so much as the feeling that if it shared fewer parts then maybe there would have been a bigger difference in size and weight, not to mention cost. I guess I was looking for a new mini but a bit more BMWish than just shared suspension.
    BMW will build small, front wheel drive model positioned and priced right under the current 1-Series.

Now, you can expect a massive protest coming on from so-called enthusiasts who believe all BMWs should be RWD only.

On the other hand, a general consensus here seems to be that BMW could use a more efficent layout. I find that quite suprising.

Thread Information