Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Copyright

Photo Copyright

After a number of incidents, I've decided that it's enough. I'm not very inclined to enter any more photography competitions or share photos elsewhere without massive watermarks on them, because I've seen and found my photos on websites a fair bit, without me giving permission for them to be used. I'll give you two examples of this.

Firstly, there's the GT-90s Revival. Silverstone, May 4-6, there will be an event hosted which features GT race cars built in the 90s. An event that I am hugely interested in, as it features some of my personal favourite cars. In support of this event - although unfortunately not able to attend - I support it by browsing through the website regularly. Upon such a browse, I come across this. This is the fourth image of a Ferrari F40 LM, and it is mine. I took this at Phillip Island at the beginning of last year. This photo has somehow ended up on this very official gallery without my permission. If I were to paid for it, fine. If my name were mentioned, a credit to the photographer, I wouldn't be so upset, but the fact is that they took a photo of mine and put it on a website which gets a lot of hits without so much as asking me really really does not sit well with me.
    http://www.gt90s-revival.com/pics/slides/F40LM%20IMSA%20(16).html

Secondly, I have recently been informed through a friend that a photo of mine is being used as the COVER of a PRINTED PUBLICATION. This means that it's been sent out to bike stores throughout the state, if not country, with my photo on it and NO CREDIT to me. I have never heard of this publication (don't even know the name), have never emailed them, have never called them, yet somehow they think that it's alright for them to publish a photo, print it and send it out without so much as asking me if it's ok....

I really doubt I can keep posting photos freely if this happens like this and so frequently.

You should contact anybody that takes your shots without asking, particularly if they gain from it. Both examples require your action, but please don't let the rest of us pay for it. We have had several occasions where our images were 're-used', which isn't too difficult with our discrete watermark. I have so far not gone to the lenghts you suggest of protecting your image. Approach the magazine and maybe send them a bill.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'm no V-Bulletin god so I'm not sure if this is possible, but.. can coding be put in place on the competition threads that prohibits people from right clicking => save file as?

I understand that people can hit print screen and throw it into image editing software, but at least the above would deter them from putting in all the effort.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I'm no V-Bulletin god so I'm not sure if this is possible, but.. can coding be put in place on the competition threads that prohibits people from right clicking => save file as?

I understand that people can hit print screen and throw it into image editing software, but at least the above would deter them from putting in all the effort.

Just my $0.02
    Seems like a really good idea too me... And as always, photo's can be exchanged by PM's to other members.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    And as always, photo's can be exchanged by PM's to other members.
    Isn't that going a bit far? How are members supposed to vote? Are you going to send the pictures to every member on UCP?
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    Isn't that going a bit far? How are members supposed to vote? Are you going to send the pictures to every member on UCP?
    No, my comment was in addition to the idea of Rock. Because if you can't 'save as...' you can't get any pictures from other members. So if you like a picture entered in the photo comp but you can't save them, you have to contact the member. But some members already do that nowadays. I mean that you can still enter photo's in the comps, but other members can't save them from the site.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    No, my comment was in addition to the idea of Rock. Because if you can't 'save as...' you can't get any pictures from other members. So if you like a picture entered in the photo comp but you can't save them, you have to contact the member. But some members already do that nowadays. I mean that you can still enter photo's in the comps, but other members can't save them from the site.
    In that case it might be an idea, to allow attachments in PM's, if technically possible.

I agree and disagree... I agree because it would be fair for the photographer not to get his or her work copied, but I disagree because I save every pictures I see on Photography Competitions that I like in a folder, which would take ages to have if I had to ask for all the pictures by PM. Who would handle such a long task? I believe a kind of digital signature on the picture or any other way to copyright it would be a better way. Also, as Damian said, there's always the Print Screen method making the anti-right click rather useless.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Blocking "save as" only stops the noobs.
    There's little you can do to stop capture of an image without requiring every valid reader having an application installed to encrypt/decypt the image.
    As has been said, all you can really do is write to those using your image and request them to remove them or pay. Especially in the case of a magazine, they're in "trouble" legally
    To aid in that it might be worthwhile for UCP to put a stock text beside each attachment saying copyright belongs to the submitter ? At least then you have a reminder to the honest. Equally in blocking right click have it pop up a "This image may be copyright" - but may be too weak, but again at least a reminder to the honest.

Wouter ??

I know your frustration, I've had many items appear elsewhere and have even "enjoyed" the experience of a full on patent infringment in the US.
    For personal stuff I've always found the other person most apologetic and willing to remove the item.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

email the website, tell them to take it down immediately.

send the magazine a bill. and dont undersell yourself, charge market value. try to find out how many copies are in circulation. maybe accompany the bill with a letter explaining their unauthorized use of the image, and that if they do not pay the bill, they will be receiving a letter from your attorney.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Sauc3, could I see the photograph in question via PM or posted here please?

Kitdy, the link is in the first post.

BTW, did you get my PM last night?

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    Kitdy, the link is in the first post.

BTW, did you get my PM last night?
    Yes, I have just been to lazy to get a good pic. I will send it over when I find one, thanks man. I have no idea how I missed the link in the first post!

i know what you feel mate, my website is less than a year old and i've seen many copies from it already

if you want i can help you with fighting with the thieves, i enjoy actions of that kind

BTW i've just found your pics on some polish ferrari website maaaan!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post

Just my $0.02
    go to the website's source and you'll get a link to a proper pic in no-time
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    i know what you feel mate, my website is less than a year old and i've seen many copies from it already

if you want i can help you with fighting with the thieves, i enjoy actions of that kind

BTW i've just found your pics on some polish ferrari website maaaan!

go to the website's source and you'll get a link to a proper pic in no-time
    Well, we already talked about the fact that a print screen is possible and how it could slightly defer some people not willing to go the effort, so mentioning something else that takes more effort is kinda pointless

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information