Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX Concept (2015)

Mazda RX Concept (2015)

It's going to have a rotary!

Mazda management have, it seems, changed their tack on spinning triangles. The new engine will be called "Skyactiv-R" and should debut at the Tokyo Motor Show.

With concerns about the rotary's ability to meet emissions standards, there has been no word from Mazda on whether or not it will have electric motors providing a McLarenesque "torque fill" and emissions-regulation assuagement or whether alternate fuels will be sought out. Mazda has hinted in the past at using a (gasoline) Wankel generator as a range extender on a purely-electric car. For a sports car, most of us would consider this to be a bad idea; not only is electric anathema to the noisy, dramatic, and somewhat fickle sportscar, it is doubly anathema to the rotary sportscar which exaggerates those characteristics still further.

In my completely unsolicited and inaccurate on-the-internet opinion, they will probably end up with a ~1800cc (swept, 3600cc equivalent) three-rotor arrangement with sequential twin turboes. To keep complexity and weight down, in keeping with the rotary mandate, I would posit that it will have a mild-hybrid setup à la first-generation Honda Insight. This setup has the electric motors between the engine and transmission for a minimal space and weight penalty. With an engine as short and as low as a Wankel, I do not think that Mazda should have any issues achieving a 50/50 weight distribution with this setup, thus negating a large advantage of placing the motors in line with the rear wheels. As the power from the electric motors will have to flow through the transmission and the differential, some efficiency will be lost, but I think the packaging advantages would be worth it in a car of this type.

All is speculation at this point so keep your eyes peeled. I, for one, think the render below looks fantastic and eagerly await its debut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Will this concept ever see the light of day? I would think it is quite hard for Mazda to make a business case for two sportscars, especially as one requires quite a lot of engineering work due to its... interesting... engine configuration. Couple that with the Miata typically performing well in sales, and the RX models not so much and it makes you wonder.

To not summarize at all: time will tell.

Apparently this new concept is a hardtop MX-5 with a rotary engine, which is... interesting if not quite in tune with the times probably.

I'm happy that they are pursuing such a thing, as it is with their principles (even if it is just a concept), but in the real world I prefer a cheaper and simpler MX version with a piston engine.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Apparently this new concept is a hardtop MX-5 with a rotary engine, which is... interesting if not quite in tune with the times probably.

I'm happy that they are pursuing such a thing, as it is with their principles (even if it is just a concept), but in the real world I prefer a cheaper and simpler MX version with a piston engine.
    I've always suggested that Mazda build a Miata with a rotary. It makes sense to not have a piston engined Miata- your sports car buyer is going to be ok with not having great fuel mileage and it'll be a lower volume car anyway.

The MK2 (or NB) MX-5 Fixed Head Coupe was an achingly pretty little thing: if Mazda could somehow replicate that with the MK4 (or ND) as base then and have it rotary powered, you'll find me at the head of the queue of potential buyers. Yes, I've had a very long love-affair with the rotary and yes, if you have a spare MK2 F.H.C. looking for a loving home, contact me!

It's been unveiled officially.

New Mazda RX-Vision Concept Looks Into The Rotarys Future

It is quite a lot larger than the MX-5. More like a spiritual successor to the RX-7.

If it reaches production it won't be before 2018, apparently.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Looks like someone squashed a Mazda 6.

I guess Mazda is going to remain a stubborn auto company, not producing a hybrid....hanging on by their fangs to develop a diesel(I wonder if the TDI was the target and now that myth has revealed itself)....finally killing the diesel program. Talking rotary again? Don't get me wrong, Mazda has some great vehicles currently regarding quality and value...but can't they just move on?

Maybe they've had a breakthrough with the rotary, or just teasing....who knows... Details are sketchy so far.

The rear tail lights are an obvious homage to the FD RX-7. I'm not a big fan of their design style, but I'm glad the rotary is back.

Dorito power!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The rear tail lights are an obvious homage to the FD RX-7. I'm not a big fan of their design style, but I'm glad the rotary is back.

Dorito power!
    What makes you glad about the rotary? Unless there has been a major evolution of it, and there could be I suppose, they are bad on emissions and mileage which in no way fits with current and future trends?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    What makes you glad about the rotary? Unless there has been a major evolution of it, and there could be I suppose, they are bad on emissions and mileage which in no way fits with current and future trends?
    It's different for the sake of being different. Maybe they solved some of the problems of the rotary? Who knows, there are no specs on it yet.

And it's also Mazda's signature "dish".

Also, it's another Japanese sports car. I'm very okay with that, because Honda doesn't have anything RWD and fun. At all. (Except for the S660).

And competition is always good.

Will it be successful? Who knows. But something different is good.

What's wrong with the rotary for you?

It's different for the sake of being different. Maybe they solved some of the problems of the rotary? Who knows, there are no specs on it yet.

And it's also Mazda's signature "dish".

Also, it's another Japanese sports car. I'm very okay with that, because Honda doesn't have anything RWD and fun. At all. (Except for the S660).

And competition is always good.

Will it be successful? Who knows. But something different is good.

What's wrong with the rotary for you?
    I just don't see the point. The rotary was obsolete when they put it in the RX-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I just don't see the point. The rotary was obsolete when they put it in the RX-8.
    That's a good point, a lot of people don't like it, it uses more fuel than a lot of other cars but doesn't really put out the right amount of power.

But I do like its "think differently" attitude.

I'm not sure if anyone has any high res photos of the RX concept, but I did find an article about it.

Tokyo Motor Show: Rotary-powered Mazda RX-Vision concept | Japanese Nostalgic Car

I'm not sure if anyone has any high res photos of the RX concept, but I did find an article about it.

there are some posters of Mazda RX Vision Concept here

Quote Originally Posted by Alice923 View Post
    there are some posters of Mazda RX Vision Concept post cycle therapy supplements here
    thanks for the link. looks good. would like to drive one to be honest
    Last edited by Mandivether1982; 12-25-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammar

Spam, go away!

I'm sad nothing came out of the Mazda RX concept. this was 4 years ago haha.

Anytime now Mazda!

Maybe make a hybrid powered sports car where the drivetrain can take advantage of the rotary for packaging and use the motors for low end torque like the 918 or the NSX.

Thread Information