Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque wins

Pound-foot.

Although the SI reckon it should be measured in Newton-metres.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 09-23-2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Removed an offensive word.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Pound-foot.

Can you rectify that statement? I am offended. You have obviously no clue of what you just said. As a moderator you are on this site to prevent such stupidities, not to produce them.

and diesel=torque, wins.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 09-23-2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Removed an offensive word.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Can you rectify that statement? I am offended. You have obviously no clue of what you just said. As a moderator you are on this site to prevent such stupidities, not to produce them.

and diesel=torque, wins.
    As for the first part, it was a joke, I thought you were joking for a minute but I guess not.

And as for the second, is diesel's specific torque greater on average than gasoline if one considers naturally aspirated engines only? An interesting question... then again, I don't think people that buy diesels are often motivated by how they perform, rather, how cost effective they are.

Pound-foot.

KW and NM ftw. backwards imperial should have died with the british empire

power for most circuit racing. torque for hillclimbs and towing caravans...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

and diesel=torque, wins.
    You shouldn't be offended Pieter. I was watching Top Gear and saw Clarkson do the Hitler salute when talking about making a car quintessentially German, and I thought it was funny but indeed out of place, but that's kind of humour I like. So I plugged it in without actually noticing. There are no reasons for it. Sorry if I offended you.

For the record I love the SI units, and try to stick using them even though I grew up measuring my height in inches and my weight in pounds, but somehow using kilometers per hour for speed and centimeters for measuring anything else other than my height. A bit awkward I reckon. In fact, I'm feeling a bit sad the United States and the United Kingdom are still widely using Imperial units, can we just live in a world where every units are the same everywhere? That would make it so easier. For now I learned how to convert the Imperial units to the Metric ones, I guess it'll do...

It's not like I'm expecting the Americans to get out of their bubble anytime soon and live in 2008 though.

God I love to be controversial. Mea culpa.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 09-23-2008 at 12:02 AM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

lol, i'm getting pretty good at converting HP to KW and pounds to KG on the fly..but torque is harder lol
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    As for the first part, it was a joke, I thought you were joking for a minute but I guess not.

And as for the second, is diesel's specific torque greater on average than gasoline if one considers naturally aspirated engines only? An interesting question... then again, I don't think people that buy diesels are often motivated by how they perform, rather, how cost effective they are.
    Probably under our current local circumstances diesel is a bit more expensive to drive here, but I do love the torque that comes with it. And more torque is on the way pretty soon.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You shouldn't be offended Pieter. I was watching Top Gear and saw Clarkson do the Hitler salute when talking about making a car quintessentially German, and I thought it was funny but indeed out of place, but that's kind of humour I like. So I plugged it in without actually noticing. There are no reasons for it. Sorry if I offended you.
    If you had said SI Police nobody would have noted. And Clarkson is not the greatest example of good taste to go by.
    But accepted.

Even in America, anyone who's ever taken a science class has at least some knowledge of SI. I don't consider myslef an expert but i know 60cubes/L, .6km/mile
    3/4kW per hp etc.
    SI is infuriurating because it makes so much goddamn sense, but I still cannot think in it.
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Is this a special continental European touchiness about the subject, I dont mean to offend, but do Nazi references just hit closer to home?
    For the record i cannot convert nm to lbft
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 09-23-2008 at 12:22 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    SI is infuriurating because it makes so much goddamn sense, but I still cannot think in it.
    Probably you need the SI police to teach you a lesson

Unfortunately in Canada we use some Imperial as well, height is in feet and inches, weight in pounds, and car stats in hp and lb.-ft.

Probably you need the SI police to teach you a lesson
    Maybe
    but I agree with David, NM are evil
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Unfortunately in Canada we use some Imperial as well, height is in feet and inches, weight in pounds, and car stats in hp and lb.-ft.
    It's the influence of our big bad neighbour.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Maybe
    but I agree with David, NM are evil
    do you realise that NM gives a higher figure than pd/ft? It increases bragging potential....

It's the influence of our big bad neighbour.
    don't say anything wrong about the USA, some people here don't like that....

Thread Information