Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Car Shopping

Just wanted to touch bases with you guys, I'll probably be buying a car soon as I am almost done with graduate school. We finally got rid of the 1983 Accord, which has been a complete joy to drive. It was fairly underpowered, but it sprung a power steering fluid leak and was becoming unsafe to keep on the road. My dad wants to keep it, but we don't have a garage. I would have kept it if we did.

So right now I'm looking at any Subaru with a stick, preferably an Impreza or a even better, an Impreza hatchback, as I want the 4WD. I also really like the new Civic hatchback though. I feel semi-obligated to get one just because of the Honda lineage in the family.

Also, my dad plans to retire from the garage, so that's new too.

Hope everything is going well with you guys, and once I get a car I'll do the egg nogg test.

true pussymobiles, gets em so wet hmmmm, the panel vans for extra creepy sexy
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Are you planning to buy new?

The '03-'09 Legacy Wagon is a really sharp-looking car to this day and seems right up your alley. I believe it could only be had with a manual in '03 and '04, though.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

+1 for 4th Gen Legacy, mine's pretty great. There were certainly manuals available here through the whole product life, but not sure about USDM.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Are you planning to buy new?

The '03-'09 Legacy Wagon is a really sharp-looking car to this day and seems right up your alley. I believe it could only be had with a manual in '03 and '04, though.
    I am definitely not planning to buy new unless it's the new Civic hatchback. I have a definite soft spot for the Legacy, especially the wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    +1 for 4th Gen Legacy, mine's pretty great. There were certainly manuals available here through the whole product life, but not sure about USDM.
    I love the Legacy. I've always said if I had an unlimited budget, I'd do an engine swap from a Porsche 911 GT3 4.0 into a Legacy.

I'm just really looking for any Subaru with a stick honestly, as I'd like to learn.

Pimento, the Lancer wagon is a very sharp looking car. Too bad from the factory it's so underpowered here, they never came as an Evolution variant.

What did you end up buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin68 View Post
    What did you end up buying?
    Unfortunately, nothing.

Plans changed, I still got into a job, but I'm not moving far from home. My salary is meager, so it'll be a while before I have my own car.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    On the upside, if you do go looking again, the sheer number of cheap stick Subie Legacy and Forester wagons is staggering, at least in Texas. Then again, we don't have the salt problems you guys up there curiously don't seem to object to
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    On the upside, if you do go looking again, the sheer number of cheap stick Subie Legacy and Forester wagons is staggering, at least in Texas. Then again, we don't have the salt problems you guys up there curiously don't seem to object to
    I would love to grab a Subaru wagon anything from Texas like you said, no rust!

The only consolation is that this job is paying me more than what I was expecting, and if anything I can expect a raise once I'm done with it in 3 years. At that point I hope I can grab something I want.

Okay!

Let's try this again! Clearly I didn't buy a car as things didn't work out.

We have very old, old cars in our lineup. We have a 1995 TL and a 2001 Subaru Forester. Likely the TL is going to go.

My choices are as follows, all stick as it would be my preference to actually learn.

Honda Fit
    Honda Civic
    Honda Accord

Subaru WRX
    Subaru Impreza wagon

Any other thoughts? I'm partial towards Japanese cars of course.

Subies are gonna be more fun but be ready with that $$$. And in NYC I assume you don't drive too much?

I like the Accord. Boring, gets the work done. Civic is fine, but ugly. Fit is similar; but very usable. Sowing engine motor.

EDIT: This has been kitdy's capsule car reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Subies are gonna be more fun but be ready with that $$$. And in NYC I assume you don't drive too much?

I like the Accord. Boring, gets the work done. Civic is fine, but ugly. Fit is similar; but very usable. Sowing engine motor.

EDIT: This has been kitdy's capsule car reviews.
    Haha, thanks for the input.

Subarus are expensive in what way? Gas and upkeep?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Haha, thanks for the input.

Subarus are expensive in what way? Gas and upkeep?
    Gas, upkeep, insurance... Mods, when you get addicted. Friend has a 450 hp at the wheels Hawkeye... Not cheap to keep running.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Gas, upkeep, insurance... Mods, when you get addicted. Friend has a 450 hp at the wheels Hawkeye... Not cheap to keep running.
    That's fair.

I'm probably going to lease with the option to buy, but we'll see.

Budget?

GT86?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information