Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: McLaren MP4-12C

Apparently they hit it lucky with the F1.

People will for sure buy the MP4-12C(dumb name) for it's engineering and daily use capabilities. Customers of F1's have put a lot of miles on most of them.

McLaren have updated their website with the new info and photos for those who are interested:

http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/uk/default.aspx

>8^)
    ER

I have checked out the website. The car just seems so understated in looks for its performance. Maybe this was deliberate by McLarens. The car should look edgier, in my opinion.

Maybe it will look better in person/reality than on the internet (the Nissan GTR was that way when it first came out). Maybe they need a better photographer to do a better job at snapping away at the sweet spots of the car.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 09-11-2009 at 03:56 PM.

looking at it more it has a front end ripped directly off of the 360, and the side profile of the Ascari, so now it is even less appealing to me.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

A commenter on the UCP page for the car said it doesn't have direct injection, and the page itself doesn't indicate that it has DI either - is this not clear or is it for sure indirect injection?

Seems a bit curious to have such a fancy and technologically advanced sportscar to come out in this day and age without direct injection. Maybe it was thought of as too expensive to implement by McLaren?

There is no direct injection. Not sure why. Cost maybe?

Where is the origin of this v8 block anyway? is a mclaren own design, or a derivation from another constuctor? "VVT", sounds like a toyota technology

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Seems a bit curious to have such a fancy and technologically advanced sportscar to come out in this day and age without direct injection. Maybe it was thought of as too expensive to implement by McLaren?
    Direct injection is a technology that primarily targets fuel economy. But on the other hand, when McLaren claim top fuel efficiency per HP, they must have a trick up their sleeves
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Direct injection is a technology that primarily targets fuel economy. But on the other hand, when McLaren claim top fuel efficiency per HP, they must have a trick up their sleeves
    Not to mention 600hp from less than 4 litres
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Not to mention 600hp from less than 4 litres
    The 2 turbochargers help a lot on that respect. Many manufacturers could get the HP figure. But only a few could get the HP and a world class fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    He resigned from his (F1) post to somehow take the heat off Hamilton after the "miscommunication" in Australia. I was under the impression that he had left McLaren to do his own thing. My slightly sardonic tone in the post is because, while I respect him as a team boss, I don't like Mr. Dennis.

I can perfectly understand your sentiment (and the Bug is one of my exceptions). The 911 is a range-topping model that uses an uprated engine that the models below it use, I view it as continuity within the range. I also view the 911 as a high-end sportscar that doesn't quite compete with low-end exotics such as the 430/458 or the Gallardo.
    Starting in 2010 the 911 Turbo gets the same direct injection as the rest of the 911 family. Many Porsche enthusiast aren't happy. If you want the GT1 based engine you better buy a '09 turbo.
    Last edited by evile; 09-12-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evile View Post
    Starting in 2010 the 911 Turbo gets the same direct injection as the rest of the 911 family. Many Porche enthusiast aren't happy. If you want thGT1 based engine you better buy a '09 turbo.
    I don't get it, what's wrong with direct injection? More power, better fuel economy.

Porsche enthusiasts are still finding thinks to whinge about after going to water cooling and flush headlights?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    After watching that video I'm even less excited for this to be released. Why does this need race/sport/touring options? With everying thing McLaren represents you would think they would make a super hardcore-no wimps allowed car.
    This going to be Mclaren's entry level car. They need to establish a customer base. They wanted to make a car that could be driven everyday. Unfortunately, we know most of these cars will become part of a collection and will sit in a garage.

Mclaren claims they have plans to build future models. At least two cars. Both of these cars are supposed to have higher performance than the MP4-12C. The MP4-12C 's competition is the Ferrari F430 and 458 Italia, Lamborghini LP560-4 and Porsche 911 Turbo. They all have similar performance settings (i.e. race/sport/touring).

Quote Originally Posted by evile View Post
    This going to be Mclaren's entry level car.
    They plan to build a Carrera rival as their base model in the coming years, so that is going to be the entry level car.

Thread Information