Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monterey Sports Car Championships (Oct 8-11)

Monterey Sports Car Championships (Oct 8-11)

Hot on the heels of the rain-soaked Petit Le Mans, the American Le Mans Series has traveled to the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for the final round of the 2009 season. While most of the championships will be decided this weekend, it was Gil de Ferran who grabbed most of the attention. The 41 year old Brazilian is set to conclude his driving career in great style. In honour of his former team-boss and mentor Jim Hall, he has repainted his Acura ARX-02a in the style of the legendary Chaparral built by Hall in the 1960s. Ahead of the on-track activities the livery was revealed with Jim Hall in attendance. Hall, De Ferran and his team-mate Simon Pagenaud next took to the track in two of the classic Chaparrals and the Acura. The 2003 Indy 500 winner piloted this 1963 - 1965 Chaparral 2 Chevrolet - Images, Specifications and Information.

Later in the day De Ferran also topped the timing sheets in the first free practice session in the all-white #66 Acura. Today's qualifying session can be seen live on SpeedTV.com at 6 pm Eastern Time.

A full preview by John Dagys can be found here:
    AUTO-RACING - ALMS: Laguna Seca Race Preview - SPEEDtv.com

A look at Gil de Ferran's long racing career by Marshall Pruett:
    AUTO-RACING - ALMS: A Farewell To De Ferran - SPEEDtv.com

A video of Gil de Ferran in the Chaparral 2:
    SPEEDtv.com Videos

Attached pictures courtesy of Marshall Pruett
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 10-09-2009 at 02:15 AM.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

qually on now
    American Le Mans Series - SPEEDtv.com

i'll be there tomorrow. if you are going to be, let me know.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Please take lots of pictures. I thought Yokohama had sponsored the track..
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Marshall's entertaining track-side notebook: AUTO-RACING - ALMS: Pruett's Trackside Notebook - SPEEDtv.com
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Am I right saying now one will broadcast/stream the race?
    And specifically, when will it start?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

speed tv will broadcast on sunday. not sure about stream. radio lemans will be doing live commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    speed tv will broadcast on sunday. not sure about stream. radio lemans will be doing live commentary.
    What I found as well, thanks anyway.

fantastic race.... a bit of a controversial finish from the GT guys though. i took lost of shots, but im going to relax for the rest of the evening. im wrecked.

fantastic race.... a bit of a controversial finish from the GT guys though. i took lost of shots, but im going to relax for the rest of the evening. im wrecked.
    Just watched the race, such a shame it ended that way in GT2.
    looking forward for your pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Just watched the race, such a shame it ended that way in GT2.
    looking forward for your pictures!
    Was very exciting but that finish put a damper on things. Any word on fall out from it, or is it just passing by?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Was very exciting but that finish put a damper on things. Any word on fall out from it, or is it just passing by?
    Officially it was fine, even if it honestly tasted bad to watch.
    The Corvette tried all the possible spot to pass the Porsche, and once they made it, they were slammed against the wall. Not fair me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Officially it was fine, even if it honestly tasted bad to watch.
    The Corvette tried all the possible spot to pass the Porsche, and once they made it, they were slammed against the wall. Not fair me thinks.
    Including one illegal spot. I saw it as the vette intentionally ramming the porsche then there was some back and forth until the vette finally lost it and went across the track. I watched it a couple of times trying to figure out exactly what happened but it didn't look to me like the porsche actually put it into the inside wall, just shoved him over close as they jockeyed.

I think both of them should have backed off a little, but if the porsche was the one that crashed would you be thinking it was the vettes fault?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

a tease for the rest of the shots.

this is a really crappy shot, but it is the corvette after the wreck. it was very dark, from a good ways away, and shooting over a fence, so not great quality. but it was a beat up car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Practice and qualifying gallery: SPEEDtv.com - Gallery

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Including one illegal spot. I saw it as the vette intentionally ramming the porsche then there was some back and forth until the vette finally lost it and went across the track. I watched it a couple of times trying to figure out exactly what happened but it didn't look to me like the porsche actually put it into the inside wall, just shoved him over close as they jockeyed.

I think both of them should have backed off a little, but if the porsche was the one that crashed would you be thinking it was the vettes fault?
    For what I understood, the Porsche was moving on the left to reduce the free spot for the Corvette, and when the Corvette eventually passed, the Porsche while keeping on moving to its left, hit the rear of the Corvette on the right, hence why the Corvette suddenly crossed the track that way.
    Surely the Corvette was pushing the Porsche in many corners, but I didn't see the Porsche getting out of the track or loosing control, that I'd say it's racing, while what happened on the last straight is pushing the contender out of the way.

a tease for the rest of the shots.

this is a really crappy shot, but it is the corvette after the wreck. it was very dark, from a good ways away, and shooting over a fence, so not great quality. but it was a beat up car.
    It's actually a good shot , perhaps not technically perfect, but it's the kind of thing you expect from a guy hanging around the track waiting for something...

Thread Information