BMW Concept M4 Coupe 2013

BMW Concept M4 Coupe #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMW Concept M4 Coupe #3
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's... yellow.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Been done. The E46 was all about yellow!
    All about the t-tops

Personally I thought Laguna Blue was a very, very special looking color, especially on a E46 M3 with CSL wheels.

I had to log in to vent a bit about this car...

I like BMW. I don't own one, and I probably never will, but I like their engineering philosophy: engine at the front, drive to the rear, sweet-sounding inline 6s, neat yet purposeful styled M cars etc.

And then there's this. The 4 is, I think, a very pretty design. It looks kind of like a GT in 3 garb to my eyes, what with that sloping rear window flowing into that short bootlid, ending in a pert rear end.
    I had high hopes for the M4, but I'm sitting here finding myself slightly underwhelmed. That front bumper is just way to busy for my taste. Why did they feel the need to have that many lines there? It's as if they took different proposals, superimposed the lot of them and decided that the end-result is what they'd go for. Either that, or they made the intakes on the sides really large, until Hans from engineering pointed out that intakes that big would serve very little actual purpose, to which the styling department answered by filling it in with some more bumper.
    The back-end seems a bit better, but again, do those holes serve any actual purpose? If they do, fine, I can live with it, but I suspect that they don't.

The rest of the car still looks great, and I especially like that M colors embedded in the CF roof. A nice subtle touch that (no sarcasm).
    The bonnet lines are still a bit confusing, but I can sort of understand why they look like they do.

Maybe the M styling bits will grow on me, but at this point I think I'd have opted for a standard 4 with the flared arches, functional "beemerangs" and the rest of the under-the-skin M ingredients instead of this.
    Maybe I'm just growing old, I don't know.

EDIT: I know this probably isn't the right place to discuss this, but just to illustrate what I'm on about regarding the front:
    Last edited by Kooper; 08-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.

As for the rear, the concept will feature two pairs of carbon fiber tailpipes enclosed in a carbon fiber rear diffuser.. great resource!

BMW M4 to debut in Detroit, lose manual transmission - Autoblog

I think now would be a good time to go back and read the press release for some past M cars like the Z4M or the 1M Coupé.

And then laugh. Or cry, maybe. Whatever takes your fancy.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's not unexpected at all.

Just cos it's not unexpected, doesn't make it disappointing. I like rowing my gears. It's fun. I don't want to not have that option by the time I can buy a nice sports car new. At the rate it's going I'm going to be better off buying a super sweet car before a nice house, which seems like the wrong way to do it to me.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Just cos it's not unexpected, doesn't make it disappointing. I like rowing my gears. It's fun. I don't want to not have that option by the time I can buy a nice sports car new. At the rate it's going I'm going to be better off buying a super sweet car before a nice house, which seems like the wrong way to do it to me.
    I would say that, but then I'd get jumped on by everyone on the forums for being an old man.

Plus, the reality of it is, I still haven't learned how to row my own gears.

Bah it is a lost battle. There's no point in moaning. And you are being told that by someone who is actually from 1921.

The proper driving enthusiast has to look at the other end of the spectrum for driving enjoyment: basic, no-nonsense econoboxes.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Bah it is a lost battle. There's no point in moaning. And you are being told that by someone who is actually from 1921.

The proper driving enthusiast has to look at the other end of the spectrum for driving enjoyment: basic, no-nonsense econoboxes.
    No, shortly even those will only have a single-speed transmission.
    First gear will be extremely short; guaranteeing a top speed of 12.5 mph and second gear will be neutral. The gear stick will become the gear switch as the transmission will either be on or off. The British will make a car that cannot find first gear, the Italians will realize that if you rev to 9,999,999 rpm (beyond the 6,500rpm limiter) you can reach up to 14 mph, Buick will place no fewer than eight torque converters between the engine and the differential, avoiding the need for a driveshaft and making it feel like you are driving the ocean, and Audi will invent an electronic gear selector so that you can switch into gear more quickly and say it is "race-derived" despite being no more technically-advanced than a light switch. All the while Dany Bahar will laugh maniacally and tapdance on the Sec. Gen.'s desk at the U.N.

I have seen the future.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Bring it on!

I can't wait to have a go in the Fiat UnaRelazione. The Buick Brougham Custom Par Avenue DeVille OneSpeed-o-Matic Sedan is also tempting.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information