Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RWB Porsche

RWB Porsche

Stumbled upon this kit group that specializes in turning your air-cooled 911's into 993 GT2 raced out lookalikes.

Web Gallery Link

Your thoughts?

comical and slow
    styling statement before go etc
    it's 22k+labour for a body kit and some wheels essentially.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 08-05-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I follow StanceNation on Facebook (not into that scene but some people turn very ordinary cars into very good looking machines) and i've seen a few pieces of their work. Their road cars are actually pretty cool looking, i like them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cobrafan427; 08-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.

My take:

For strictly a road car, they seem a little over the top... quite silly actually. However, if one wanted to convert their air-cooled Porsche to track/competition car I think it might prove useful (considering their is significant weight reduction); with the wider wheelbase and aero package on the rear. I do like how they keep that retro late 80's early 90's Le Mans GT endurance race look.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    My take:

For strictly a road car, they seem a little over the top... quite silly actually. However, if one wanted to convert their air-cooled Porsche to track/competition car I think it might prove useful (considering their is significant weight reduction); with the wider wheelbase and aero package on the rear. I do like how they keep that retro late 80's early 90's Le Mans GT endurance race look.
    I am going to go with a no on that....

Their widebody kit literally leaves no room for suspension travel. RWB guys basically does nothing to the car aside from throwing on a set of coilovers and make you custom wide bodies, with some ridiculously deep-dish wheels. When you are altering the track width and scrub as much as they do without pretty much any work to compensate, the car probably won't handle very well....

Nothing on those cars are engineered, they go with what looks cool...

Perfect for the stanced crowd really...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post

Their widebody kit literally leaves no room for suspension travel. RWB guys basically does nothing to the car aside from throwing on a set of coilovers and make you custom wide bodies, with some ridiculously deep-dish wheels. When you are altering the track width and scrub as much as they do without pretty much any work to compensate, the car probably won't handle very well....

That's unfortunate.

Wow! I think it looks stoned. But, that wouldn't stop me... that is one sexy car...

yup x2
    most of them start as N/A cars so have the shorter axles. so once the ballooned out kit is bolted on they run quite large spacers and wheels with considerable negative offset.
    the only advantage for this is if you wanted to mount twin turbos like the 993 GT2.. which you'll notice managed it with much narrower flares (and already is capable of fitting 18x12's under the back).

it's all for looks. i'd hate to see how the steering geometry and suspension is affected, reading between the lines of the speedhunters review was quite funny
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I love RWB and every Porsche they've ever done. They do race these cars in events like the Idler 12 Hours and they are competitive. You don't have to like them but they aren't useless. They also do Time Attack events all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 250gto boy View Post
    I love RWB and every Porsche they've ever done. They do race these cars in events like the Idler 12 Hours and they are competitive. You don't have to like them but they aren't useless. They also do Time Attack events all over the world.
    I'd like to see a time that says they are competitive.....Tracking a car /= car is fast on track. I won't be surprised a stock Porsche of the same vintage is faster....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'd like to see a time that says they are competitive.....Tracking a car /= car is fast on track. I won't be surprised a stock Porsche of the same vintage is faster....
    What kind of shop would you go to then to take an air-cooled Porsche of that era and make it into track/competition car? Are there special places that can do this and make the money spent well worth it? Obviously, I'm not educated nor technical enough to attempt this sort of project myself. Kind of looking at it for a future hobby down the line once I have more time to kill.

agreed
    it's hard to make a porsche NOT trackable
    they don't change direction as fast as stock bodied models, nowhere near as agile

Just not to hijack this thread, but have any of you seen the Singer Porsches?

I think they do real tasteful mods and make older air cooled 911s more more track ready and sometimes use older details on them as well.

Although I like RWB 911s too because they look like the old race cars, I think for a track car the Singer ones may be a better idea.

if i won the lottery..

my two car garage would be an eagle E type and a singer 911 lol

and i'd sure as shit have to win the big lottery to afford that!

Singers are big money, but they are doing things properly. You won't find a dude cutting the reshaping the fiber glass fender to get it to tuck on some ridiculously sized wheels and tire, and they actually make most of the stuff that they put on the car. I mean the wiring harness and connector they used are the same grade as we used on military projects at work or what F1/WEC team uses on their cars....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information