View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Since I can't handle a spanner I wouldn't buy a car based on mechanical accessibility.

Having said that, a mid-engined Corvette feels... wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
I was talking to a friend last night and he brought up and interesting point: all of the boomers who squirreled away a few shekels each paycheck (while their employers saved for their retirement...) to buy their dream Corvette have already done so or died. In the succeeding generations (X, Y, and Z), the Corvette is stigmatized as crude, uncouth, and, worst of all, a General Motors product. I feel like that is unfair to the Corvette and it will certainly never shed that last point, but I certainly can't see myself in one. However, this seems like a golden opportunity to reinvent the Corvette for new clientele and I wish them all the best.

To NSX's point: I think the fix-it-with-a-hammer philosophy will go with the Boomers; access will certainly prove a pain, but tinkerers from our generation have shown plenty of willingness to electronically do what their forebears did with carb jets and busted knuckles.

I, however, am a dinosaur and think that the C6 Z06 with seven liters, six speeds, and five hundred horses is the apogee.
Is there anything wrong with buying a GM product? I may not like their other car offerings, but let's not kid ourselves here, people buy the Corvette for modification potential and cheap speed. I also believe a mid engined Corvette is an odd choice, even if Duntov had designed one at some point. People always compared the Corvette to the 911 and one of the main advantages of the Corvette was always the low cost to buy in, maintenance costs, accessibility and potential to wrench on it yourself. Making the only Corvette available a mid engined car negates all these benefits, even if the price to buy in is just as low as ever. GM's other excuse was that they're doing it because they've exhausted all racing potential from the FR platform, but I also think that's quite a convenient excuse.

I would have had no problem if Chevy built a "Duntov" edition above this Corvette and started it at $100,000, maybe even if they called it a Cadillac. I will forever associate the Corvette as cheap, accessible speed in a FR chassis.