Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model S Concept 2009

Tesla Model S Concept 2009

Tesla unveils world’s first mass-produced, highway-capable EV
    Model S sedan has anticipated base price of $49,900, up to 300-mile range and 45-minute QuickCharge capability

March 26, 2009

HAWTHORNE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE) —Tesla Motors is now taking orders for the Model S, an all electric family sedan that carries seven people and travels 300 miles per charge.

The Model S, which carries its charger onboard, can be recharged from any 120V, 240V or 480V outlet, with the latter taking only 45 minutes. By recharging their car while they stop for a meal, drivers can go from LA to New York in approximately the same time as a gasoline car. Moreover, the floor-mounted battery pack is designed to be changed out in less time than it takes to fill a gas tank, allowing for the possibility of battery-pack swap stations.

The floor-mounted powertrain also results in unparalleled cargo room and versatility, as the volume under the front hood becomes a second trunk. Combining that with a four-bar linkage hatchback rear trunk and flat folding rear seats, the Model S can accommodate a 50-inch television, mountain bike *and* surfboard simultaneously. This packaging efficiency gives the Model S more trunk space than any other sedan on the market and more than most SUVs.

“Model S doesn’t compromise on performance, efficiency or utility -- it’s truly the only car you need,” said Tesla CEO, Chairman and Product Architect Elon Musk. “Tesla is relentlessly driving down the cost of electric vehicle technology, and this is just the first of many mainstream cars we’re developing.”

Tesla expects to start Model S production in late 2011. The company believes it is close to receiving $350 million in federal loans to build the Model S assembly plant in California from the Dept of Energy’s Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program.

Building on Proven Technology

Tesla is the only production automaker already selling highway-capable EVs in North America or Europe. With 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds, the Roadster outperforms almost all sports cars in its class yet is six times as energy efficient as gas guzzlers and delivers 244 miles per charge. Tesla has delivered nearly 300 Roadsters, and nearly 1,000 more customers are on the wait list.

Teslas do not require routine oil changes, and they have far fewer moving (and breakable) parts than internal combustion engine vehicles. They qualify for federal and state tax credits, rebates, sales tax exemptions, free parking, commuter-lane passes and other perks. Model S costs roughly $5 to drive 230 miles – a bargain even if gasoline were $1 per gallon.

The anticipated base price of the Model S is $49,900 after a federal tax credit of $7,500. The company has not released options pricing. Three battery pack choices will offer a range of 160, 230 or 300 miles per charge.

“Model S costs half as much as a Roadster, and it’s a better value than much cheaper cars,” Musk said. “The ownership cost of Model S, if you were to lease and then account for the much lower cost of electricity vs. gasoline at a likely future cost of $4 per gallon, is similar to a gasoline car with a sticker price of about $35,000. I’m positive this car will be the preferred choice of savvy consumers.”

The standard Model S does 0-60 mph in under six seconds and will have an electronically limited top speed of 130 mph, with sport versions expected to achieve 0-60 mph acceleration well below five seconds. A single-speed gearbox delivers effortless acceleration and responsive handling. A 17-inch touchscreen with in-car 3G connectivity allows passengers to listen to Pandora Radio or consult Google Maps, or check their state of charge remotely from their iPhone or laptop.

Tesla is taking reservations online and at showrooms in California. Tesla will open a store in Chicago this spring and plans to open stores in London, New York, Miami, Seattle, Washington DC and Munich later this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think that's a gorgeus sports saloon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Building on Proven Technology
    lol riiiiiiight

It kind of looks like the Maserati.

Looks 1,000 times better than the original Tesla.

Didn't Fisker design this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    That's probably because the original Tesla was a facelifted Lotus Elise.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's probably because the original Tesla was a facelifted Lotus Elise.

I wouldn't call it facelifted...maybe facemutilated.

no, fisker has his own rival car company.

i dig it. my wife has been saying she wants a plug-in electric or hybrid for a few years now. by the time this is available she'll be close to needing a new car, so this might be it. if tesla survives, of course.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

That looks interesting, and far more impressive than the Tesla Roadster.....I'd feel more comfortable if it uses a back up gas motor too like Volt, just because the infrastruture we are dealing with is not exactly robust. But I think this is definitely something worth looking at.

What's the range of Honda's fuel cell FCX Clarity?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Nice family car solution from them.
    WOnder what they expect on crash safety performance -- ie how much weight are they shaving to get efficiency.
    DOn't know why you're all so down on the Roadster.
    Saw it at last years Le Mans and it's a nice little sports car .... with a performance that's damned good

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    DOn't know why you're all so down on the Roadster.
    Saw it at last years Le Mans and it's a nice little sports car .... with a performance that's damned good
    I'm not. It take one in a hurry.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

yes he did, and when Tesla saw the car they suited Fisker for designing a worst car than the Karma. Fisker won, btw, and Tesla payed the bill.

Indeed I think this is like the ordinary version of the Karma, whit the characteristic big rear fenders from Fisker, and a polite front grille.
    I would go for the Karma personally, but this ain't bad, especially considering the price. Just wondering on the interior though.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    yes he did, and when Tesla saw the car they suited Fisker for designing a worst car than the Karma. Fisker won, btw, and Tesla payed the bill.

Indeed I think this is like the ordinary version of the Karma, whit the characteristic big rear fenders from Fisker, and a polite front grille.
    I would go for the Karma personally, but this ain't bad, especially considering the price. Just wondering on the interior though.
    Tesla should send Fisker a 'thank you' letter because the design that Tesla ended up with has a much broader appeal....though I like the Fisker better.

Tesla should send Fisker a 'thank you' letter because the design that Tesla ended up with has a much broader appeal....though I like the Fisker better.
    exactly, I don't know how many would be willing to pay 50.000 $ for such a controversial design as the Karma is. Just consider how many Golf VW sells.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

You guys are assuming Tesla will survive in the state that it is. I don't think it will, so this will probably not be in production.

Thread Information