Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW i8 2014-

There's strong rumours of a 500bhp version coming, powertrain yet to be confirmed. Definitely still an hybrid.

I like it, I like what it is and I like the design and I like that it's so different.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Looks glorious. Specs and performance figures dont seem to match the appearance though. Stick a V8 in it for Christs sake.
    I'm not sure it looks glorious (it certainly looks advanced), but you are bang on with the latter. It looks like it should go a million miles an hour; as it is, not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    There's strong rumours of a 500bhp version coming, powertrain yet to be confirmed. Definitely still an hybrid.

I like it, I like what it is and I like the design and I like that it's so different.
    That's fine and dandy, and the looks will definitely match the performance more. It is kinda odd to have a mid-engined car in this day and age with that high a price tag that "only" has 500 hp though.

Yes, I get that i is meant to be different. The i3 and i8 don't seem to stir me as much as some of you guys. My issue with the i3 it is so damn ugly and reminds me of the 2AT. Props for trying BMW, and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Looks glorious. Specs and performance figures dont seem to match the appearance though. Stick a V8 in it for Christs sake.
    I have to agree- if you spend that much money on a car, saving gasoline isn't your first concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I'm not sure it looks glorious (it certainly looks advanced), but you are bang on with the latter. It looks like it should go a million miles an hour; as it is, not quite.

That's fine and dandy, and the looks will definitely match the performance more. It is kinda odd to have a mid-engined car in this day and age with that high a price tag that "only" has 500 hp though.

Yes, I get that i is meant to be different. The i3 and i8 don't seem to stir me as much as some of you guys. My issue with the i3 it is so damn ugly and reminds me of the 2AT. Props for trying BMW, and respect.
    Haha, props. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I have to agree- if you spend that much money on a car, saving gasoline isn't your first concern.
    Wrong way around. It's a car for people who want 'save gasoline' and have that much money.

It's a sports hybrid. If you don't like it, buy a 911 turbo, or a 'Vette, or a Viper, or an anything else that already exists for you. This is for the crowd that have money and want to play with sparks. They already have a V8, so this is something else. Of course it's expensive, it's bleeding edge stuff. Each new one of these will be more and more capable in terms of power and performance but will always be pursuing the third thing, the using of stuff all fuel.

Basically, it's not for you, and that's OK. Look at it as a curio.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

One of these were at an auto show a couple of weeks ago. It looked good. It definitely seemed like something extraordinary; not exactly a first, second, third, or even fourth car.

It's supposed to be a design statement, and raise more eyebrows than pulses, I reckon. For now, it's just a curiosity.
    Turning money into memories.

The 2AT is awful and should only be mentioned next to similar abominations like the Ferrari California. Or any Audi.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Not sure why you'd buy a sports car, and then get "narrow" tires. Beats the purpose of the car for sure.
    Less is sometimes more.

If the chassis is well designed and the suspension well set up it could be a terrific a sportscar, even if grip isn't very high.

I know. I used to drive an MX-5.
    Wrong way around. It's a car for people who want 'save gasoline' and have that much money.

It's a sports hybrid. If you don't like it, buy a 911 turbo, or a 'Vette, or a Viper, or an anything else that already exists for you. This is for the crowd that have money and want to play with sparks. They already have a V8, so this is something else. Of course it's expensive, it's bleeding edge stuff. Each new one of these will be more and more capable in terms of power and performance but will always be pursuing the third thing, the using of stuff all fuel.

I understand the appeal.

I'm not into ecomentalism, but wasting for the sake waste is just stupid.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Or any Audi.
    Emphasis added.

Says the man... Who bought and drove an Audi.

If the chassis is well designed and the suspension well set up it could be a terrific a sportscar, even if grip isn't very high.

I know. I used to drive an MX-5.

I understand the appeal.
    "They" say this about the Scioyotaru a lot. As good press as this car received, Evo didn't really like it that much, and that somehow stuck with me.

I think it is a cool car. The electric steering seems lame, but I guess we will have to put up with that. The fact it was codeveloped has likely imbued further development with political problems. As fine as the base model is (it is great, I want it, and I would drive it) there should be a factory performance variant by now, and this could maybe serve as a further differentiona between the Sction/Toyota version and the Subaru version if each company got to manage the development of the performance version by itself. Sticker tires, maybe around 300 hp, a more sport suspension, et voila!

I'm not into ecomentalism, but wasting for the sake waste is just stupid.
    Well, you got your degree in economics, right? Hiyoooo!

Emphasis added.

Says the man... Who bought and drove an Audi.
    Oh god, I did. Then again I'm an idiot and my opinion is worthless; who knows maybe I'm onto something.

I actually am fond of that car. It was magnificently unreliable (although never let me down on the road) but it was fast, comfortable, compact, easy and smooth. I miss those characteristics... and the six cylinder enigne.

Oh and the A2 is one of the most brilliant city cars of the last 20 years.
    "They" say this about the Scioyotaru a lot. As good press as this car received, Evo didn't really like it that much, and that somehow stuck with me.

I think it is a cool car. The electric steering seems lame, but I guess we will have to put up with that. The fact it was codeveloped has likely imbued further development with political problems. As fine as the base model is (it is great, I want it, and I would drive it) there should be a factory performance variant by now, and this could maybe serve as a further differentiona between the Sction/Toyota version and the Subaru version if each company got to manage the development of the performance version by itself. Sticker tires, maybe around 300 hp, a more sport suspension, et voila!
    Different things to different means.

I like the supercharged Challenger as much as anybody else, but sometimes it just isn't feasible. There can be a variety of reasons for it; fuel prices, narrow roads, tight bends or purchase prices amongst others.

There is also the connection those cars give you. In essence, because the limit is low and so is the performance you are closer to the limit easily and far safer than in a bazillion horsepower, every wheel drive, sequential supercar. And there are also far less layers of electronic control and isolation.

Sometimes feeling part of the experience can be even better than the actual experience itself.
    Well, you got your degree in economics, right? Hiyoooo!
    Long live to ultra liberal wild capitalism.

Or something.
    Visca Catalunya!

Oh god, I did. Then again I'm an idiot and my opinion is worthless; who knows maybe I'm onto something.
    Acceptance is the first step towards happiness. I realized I was an idiot and my opinion was worthless years ago, and I've been happier ever since!

Long live to ultra liberal wild capitalism.

Or something.
    Spoken like a true communist.

... But seriously, the externalities of long term environmental degradation are an existential threat to the current liberal formation of capitalism that exists today. This, however, is neither here nor there.

Back OT: boy, that i8 sure is shiny!

Spoken like a true communist.

... But seriously, the externalities of long term environmental degradation are an existential threat to the current liberal formation of capitalism that exists today. This, however, is neither here nor there.
    Yes, money, good?

Electricalness is modernistical too.

(I'm on topic now too)
    Visca Catalunya!

You are correct. But I think it looks good enough to go like stink. What I like about the current Chev V8s and everyone else’s I guess is that they have managed to get them to be more efficient. Holden currently have 6 lt V8s as their large engine. The largest they ever had before we realized oil was a finite resource was a 350cu. I rekon my LS1 350 is more economical than my old 186cu Holden 6. I like that manufacturers are pushing development with the combustion engine. I am actually more hopeful we can develop a synthetic fuel for these engines we have spent over 100 years developing rather than trying to reinvent and develop something completely new. I know electric cars can go fast but they will never sound like a combustion engine (unless an engine sound is played over the audio system as is becoming the fad). That doesn’t mean anything to people who aren’t interested in cars but neither really do uber expensive, hi tech, electric, pseudo sports cars.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

OK, on further reading I'm OUT! If this car truly pipes an engine sound into the cabin to make it sound like it has an engine then it’s an unmitigated FAIL. I suppose it has faux carbon fiber panels and vinyl wood grain as well. Fake engine sounds are like fake bacon ( In know, I tried it). If you are a vegetarian (I’m not), live the ideology and just eat a mushroom.

I'm not down with the fake sounds either. If there ain't an option to cut that crap out, there should be.

The real shame is the M5 does this as well.

Ya know, car enthusiasts that are not teenagers almost universally sound like grumpy old men, hah!

Many BMWs (and cars from other manufacturers) have this say... feature. The M135i/M235i also have it.

Fake noise is bad indeed, but I still think this is an interesting car.

This, the i3 and the Tesla are the only electric cars which I could consider. Eventually.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ya know, car enthusiasts that are not teenagers almost universally sound like grumpy old men, hah!
    This.

Thread Information