Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Instead of just commenting and complaining,why don't YOU guys come up with idea's,suggestions and improvements !!!
    Maybe because YOU are the one suggesting there are problems.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

One suggestion that I'd give is for you to shut up drakkie.
    To me, it just seems that you are pissed off that you have no control over what goes on here at ucp and that is just plain rediculous.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

It was a system in which users could give other users reputation points for a good or bad post. It was abandoned 4 years ago IIRC.
    No...I was hear when Rep was here, so less than 2 years.

But no one else is complaining...so why would anyone else need to imoproveit?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

It was a system in which users could give other users reputation points for a good or bad post. It was abandoned 4 years ago IIRC.
    4 years ago this forum did not exist.

It was a system that allowed members to give "reputation points" to others for their good / bad posts. Next to your username, you'd have a green dot and a number (stating the amount of points that you had).... or a red dot (negative).

It got out of control, everybody gave good rep to friends, bad rep to members they disliked, others created accounts to give rep to themselves, etc...

That just seems like a shit load of work for the mods. And I'm sure they've got much better things to do with their time. There's always they "report bad post" button, I gather that works?

And I see one major problem with your "newbie" forum. How many people have come here to just ask a question or for some help and then never really post again? Heaps. And if their question only appears in some little side forum, it's likely to get ignored. Not really fair is it?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Here they come as promised, W

1) Bring back the rep system
    2) Create a new forum especially for the newbies.
    3) When they don't have enough rep,say 3-5,they can only post through a system that allows the mods to check every thread and post they make.If it doesn't contribute anything,you can block it. Otherwise only posts can be made in the newbie forums.
    4) When it is useful (for the thread) they automatically get a rep-point,allowing them to post freely in the forums. What is useful has to be discussed and stated clearly.
    5) Create a "sticky" code of conduct thread. Clear rules and guidelines about what we prefer them to post.This should automatically be linked to after joining the forums. The mods will get clear guidelines what to regard as a useless thread/post and to lock/delete in which case.
    6) Anyone that has over 10% useless posts can be trown back into the Newbie forum !!!
    7) The 10% rating will have to be set by a new button in each post. Click it and it gets the mods' attention. They can easily filter through all the posts. Everyone is able to report them and should report them if possible.
    8) Raise the age on which people are allowed to join. Offcourse they can always click yes,im 16 but it will also keep some out. Current members should be granted amnesty This is mainly to keep out the children that join in and start posting rubbish. IN GENERAL older members are way more serious about things
    9) For the newer forum membrs create a limit to the amount of posts a day,something like 10 or 20 If they get enough rep,this can be raised.

10-12) Fill in other members' suggestions, i ran out shortly before the dozen

I hope something useful comes out of this to stop the "newbie-terror".

Cheers,
    Sjoerd.
    i'm not gonna read all that lol
    i lost interest at "bring back rep" and the rest seems too complicated to ever be implemented especially when there isn't a problem in the first place.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

this forum is fine the way it is... i have no problem with it!
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox
    this forum is fine the way it is... i have no problem with it!
    Coming from the person that has 23 posts per day.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

You do have a good point.

The code of conduct sticky idea I like

ONLY #5 is actually worth taking into any sort of consideration. and even that i find silly.

CS made some good points but as he shows there are downsides to every way to aproach this.

I think the forum is absolutely fine the way it is. New memebers are not fitered, and that is a BIG plus. Sure you get a few spammers here and there, but frankly, the mods do a very fine job at taking care of them. Its not like there is a swarm of ferrarioprinze's every day. I personally havent seen spam in a few weeks!!!

Filtering members throuugh number of posts is absolutely ridiculous. To think that memebers like Peloton or Napolis would have been put in newbie forums is horrible.

The forums are fine. the mebers are fine. And the mods are very good. What is the prolem drakkie? I am not seeing this Big decline on the forums.. and ive been here for far longer than you. (jan 2004 is the date i created the acount, but visited this forum well before that)
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

This whole "newbie forum" thing is just a weird idea...I mean...we want to make newbies feel welcome, not just throw them aside to another forum just cause ONE newbie (or two) is causing a ruckus. And the whole age thing isn't that...right either. But instead of making a newbie forum, an age restricted forum would be more...right (under 16 15 14 blablabla...) And I've noticed that Drakkie is the only mod or member that has been posting "me getting pissed, any suggestions?" threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    just cause ONE newbie (or two) is causing a ruckus.
    That's you, that is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for all the fish

not anymore

You cant critique your own posting, it doesnt work like that.

When i first joined UCP i think i could arguably say that i proved the age barrier means nothing if you dont go off like an idiot. Nowadays its generally guys like Spastik Roach doing that. Segregating under 16's isnt a solution. If you guys think theres a problem with kids on the forum, well then set a better standard for them to follow.
    I am the Stig

Here they come as promised, W

1) Bring back the rep system
    Rep was removed for a reason.
    2) Create a new forum especially for the newbies.
    Effort/Time/Why can't they just post in the regular one? the only way a poster learns the forum ettiquette is to experience it first hand.
    3) When they don't have enough rep,say 3-5,they can only post through a system that allows the mods to check every thread and post they make.If it doesn't contribute anything,you can block it. Otherwise only posts can be made in the newbie forums.
    Again Effort/Time. The comments system attached to the main site was essentially what you are suggesting. Posts can wait up to 4 days to get waded through.
    4) When it is useful (for the thread) they automatically get a rep-point,allowing them to post freely in the forums. What is useful has to be discussed and stated clearly.
    I understand where you are going with this but how do we decide on whats a newby. Post quality counts more than post quantity or length of membership...for the most part.
    5) Create a "sticky" code of conduct thread. Clear rules and guidelines about what we prefer them to post.This should automatically be linked to after joining the forums. The mods will get clear guidelines what to regard as a useless thread/post and to lock/delete in which case.
    Agreed.
    6) Anyone that has over 10% useless posts can be trown back into the Newbie forum !!!
    Time/Effort once more. what, do you think we've got buckets of time?
    7) The 10% rating will have to be set by a new button in each post. Click it and it gets the mods' attention. They can easily filter through all the posts.
    Everyone is able to report them and should report them if possible.
    Same issue as rep - we had people without enough rep to neg-rep coming to other members asking them to do it. othe rmembers may not like a thread and commit the same act. Reposts are another issue because the info is still there, it's just repeated. who was first?
    8) Raise the age on which people are allowed to join. Offcourse they can always click yes,im 16 but it will also keep some out. Current members should be granted amnesty This is mainly to keep out the children that join in and start posting rubbish. IN GENERAL older members are way more serious about things
    Spastik_Roach? with every age limit comes a winner and loser. It's about maturity, not age.
    9) For the newer forum membrs create a limit to the amount of posts a day,something like 10 or 20 If they get enough rep,this can be raised.
    This is an interesting idea but will lead to some irresolvable problems.
    10-12) Fill in other members' suggestions, i ran out shortly before the dozen

I hope something useful comes out of this to stop the "newbie-terror".

Cheers,
    Sjoerd.
    Again the Newbies are easily dealt with - it's forum members with problems that have been seething under the surface for a long time that present the greatest challenge.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information