Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W212) 2009-2015

I don't mind the styling, it's just of it's time and the E has always been a little awkward in the styling department.

but the overhangs? seriously.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

The tailights are an uneasy combination of the BMW 1-Series coupe's and generic Japanese sedan tailights with a hint of Hyundai.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    They have a big impact on how the front of the car looks, second only perhaps to the shape of the grille. Suprising to hear this from someone so interested in the classic designs of the car world!
    current designs are determined by aerodynamics and wind tunnels, and can only distinguish themselves from each other by minor items like the shape of the headlights etc, which some people think are important, not me though.
    Classic designs are those made by humans and not by computers.
    Last edited by henk4; 01-14-2009 at 12:36 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

For almost everyone when selecting almost anything, aesthetics plays a very important role in decision making. Whether consciously or subconsciously, our minds will be largely decided based on whether or not the item is perceived as attractive. I don't suggest that buying a car based purely on looks is a good idea, but it should play an important role. Why buy a car you generally don't like the look of; regardless of the fact that you don't see its exterior while driving it.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    For almost everyone when selecting almost anything, aesthetics plays a very important role in decision making. Whether consciously or subconsciously, our minds will be largely decided based on whether or not the item is perceived as attractive. I don't suggest that buying a car based purely on looks is a good idea, but it should play an important role. Why buy a car you generally don't like the look of; regardless of the fact that you don't see its exterior while driving it.
    In virtually any discussion here on new cars you'll find people making many comments on how the bloody thing looks, but very little about technical aspects/progress if any.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

None of the innovations in this car provoke much emotion...improved air condition...increased fuel economy, better safety. Its all good but its not really going to spark any debate or clashes of opinion. Looks on the other hand do as we can quite clearly see. Not to say I don't appreciate these innovations its just whether its worth commenting about the fuel economy and how good it is when you know you're not going to get someone saying no I wish the car was much less economical....better to hear a different range of opinions I reckon!

It's entirely possible to create a car that is both beautiful and functional, and lazy design will use either as an excuse for why the car fails either functionally or aesthetically.

I'm sure Mercedes Benz have invested billions of euros into this to make it uber functional, but the fact remains - it's not a beauty to behold.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    current designs are determined by aerodynamics and wind tunnels, and can only distinguish themselves from each other by minor items like the shape of the headlights etc, which some people think are important, not me though.
    Classic designs are those made by humans and not by computers.
    And that's why the less spacious, less aerodynamic CLS is miles better than this.

The new four cylinders are interesting, Daimler hs finally abadoned the supercharger, but that aside I can't see any innovation that makes for a better driving experience.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The new four cylinders are interesting, Daimler hs finally abadoned the supercharger, but that aside I can't see any innovation that makes for a better driving experience.
    What about Adaptive High Beam Assist option (headlamps adapts to the traffic situation and responds automatically to avoid dazzling other drivers)?

Somewhat ironically, this option makes driving experience more safe/relaxing to OTHER drivers, not to E-class owner who pays for it. From where will they find a Merc driver who is willing to pay for well-being of others?

Nevertheless, this is a technology that can really improve road safety. Haven't seen a single comment about it from fellow UCP "enthusiasts". Maybe they can't understand the concept? Don't care?

Yet Spastik_Roach for example is deeply concerned about the brown color in the press pics....
    Last edited by Revo; 01-14-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Nevertheless, this is a technology that can really improve road safety. Haven't seen a single comment about it from fellow UCP "enthusiasts". Maybe they can't understand the concept? Don't care?
    Man, don't you understand, the lights are ugly and that is what matters...

What about Adaptive High Beam Assist option (headlamps adapts to the traffic situation and responds automatically to avoid dazzling other drivers)?

Somewhat ironically, this option makes driving experience more safe/relaxing to OTHER drivers, not to E-class owner who pays for it. From where will they find a Merc driver who is willing to pay for well-being of others?
    They are interesting but I personally prefer to contol such things myself.

They are like automatic wipers, interesting but not really necessary. I like the beauty of simplicity.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yet Spastik_Roach for example is deeply concerned about the brown color in the press pics....
    iirc, that feature was firstly unveiled in the new 7 Series though.

about the dispute, looking (distractedly) to some pics takes about 1 minute, reading the press release can be much unpleasant to some.
    I for one still have to read it so that's why I only commented the pics.
    actually I'm submerged in trying to download all the pics from the NAIAS the web has to offer.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Man, don't you understand, the lights are ugly and that is what matters...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    They are interesting but I personally prefer to contol such things myself.

They are like automatic wipers, interesting but not really necessary. I like the beauty of simplicity.
    Very true, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

However, which option do you prefer in night time driving: to blind the oncoming driver OR to drive few hundred meters in relative darkness? This technology does offer a really useful compromise.

One comment about automatic wipers. I have them in my BMW and I do sorely miss them in my Fiat. Never thought I could be in need of something so usless, but somehow Fiat wiper speed seems to be ill-suited all the time. So what's next, parking sensors?

I definitely hate automatic wipers, they never act at the speed I would like.
    and every car I drove with that device also had an awful selection of manual speeds for the wipers.
    I find parking sensor useful though
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

One comment about automatic wipers. I have them in my BMW and I do sorely miss them in my Fiat. Never thought I could be in need of something so usless, but somehow Fiat wiper speed seems to be ill-suited all the time. So what's next, parking sensors?
    Depends, I had them in my Xantia and they were perfect, in the first C5 they were really horrible, going off far too often, but the new C5 does it perfectly again. When I don't have them, I miss them. (I also have parking sensors, very nervous blokes)

Thread Information