Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Hungarian F1 Grand Prix

Hate to tell you slick, but knowing his luck he'll be the one that gets caught out from the tyres. The temperatures are about 20 degrees less than they were predicting so after a few laps, the tyres arent working anymore. Everyones pretty much on a gamble and i wouldnt be surprised to see everyone 3 stopping to minimise the effect of old rubber.
    I am the Stig

I think Kubica should stay in for the remainder of the season.

I'm happy to see De la Rosa in 4th.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the only thing i want to say is:

GO KUBICA GO KUBICA GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12 cylinders or walk!

What a surprise: Ferrari question severity of Schumi penalty

Ferrari have expressed their frustration at the severity of the two second penalty given to Michael Schumacher in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix, with the punishment seeing him down to eleventh on the grid, although crucially still four places higher than Fernando Alonso.

Going into qualifying having claimed the fastest time in morning practice and aiming to capitalise on Alonso's penalty, Schumacher was then given the same punishment moments before session when he was judged to have overtaken two cars under red flag conditions during that free practice.

However, while the team chose not to dispute the nature of the penalty, they were rather mystified as to why Schumacher received a two second penalty, where as Alonso only received a one second penalty for 'dangerous driving', the other second coming after he himself overtook under a yellow flag in the same session.

"Naturally, we are very disappointed about what happened," Brawn said, "and by that I am referring of course to events involving Michael in this morning's free practice. It's true he made a mistake, but I leave it to you to decide if the penalty was fair. It's a shame because we had a great potential and we were unable to exploit it."

Schumacher meanwhile was keeping his opinion on the matter to a minimum, the German now determined to concentrate on the race starting from just outside the top ten on a circuit that regularly favours those qualifying in the first three rows at most.

Nonetheless, Schumacher was easily the quickest driver in the two knockout stages before his penalty was added on, leaving him hopeful that a good start from the clean side of the grid will help him make up a few important positions from the start.

"I prefer not to go into a long explanation of what happened this morning. Everyone can form their own opinion, looking at the replay. I would rather just concentrate on preparing for tomorrow's race as well as possible in these unfortunate circumstances.

"Eleventh place was the best I could hope for, taking into account the penalty given me by the Stewards. At least it means I start from the clean side of the track. I hope to make a good start and move up a few places and I will be trying to make the best of it tomorrow."

Here is the video of the Schumacher redflag incident....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzFD_aEVeAY

You can clearly see that Alonso is going unusually slowly there, but the simple fact of the matter is that the red flag was flying. The second the red flag is called then the session is suspended with immediate effect and they would all just have to cruise back to the pits anyway. I don't see why Michael was travelling as fast as he was under redflag conditions, there was absolutely nothing to be gained from it. Sure, Alonso was crawling along at a ridiculously slow pace but so what? He should just've backed right off and followed Alonso back to the pits, especially after yesterday's events had proved that the race stewards were being extremely strict with offences like that. Alonso might well have been playing a little bit of gamesmanship but Schumi took the bait hook, line and sinker. He should've known better IMO.

As for whether the punishment fitted the crime it's a tough one to call. Of the three offences commited by Schumi and Alonso it's clear to me that the most severe was Alonso's swerve-then-braketest as that was quite clearly very dangerous. That was deserving of a very strict punishment IMO (more than just 1 second per session), but the way the penalties have been dished out suggests that overtaking a couple of snailpace cars under redflag conditions is a more serious offence than deliberately almost punting someone off into the scenery at high speed. Go figure.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I just can't believe the time MS puts in at session 2.....that was faster than his 04 Pole time, when they had the sprint tires AND 900bhp.......
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Hope Webber has something up his sleeve again this race, He was doing a top job last out until his famous POS Williams with it's 10/10 reliability stopped him from getting into a great fight for the podium with kimi. Would have been great to watch.
    Kimi had already passed him and was battling with Button for 3rd. He wasn't gonna do anything but keep Klien from a point.
    "That's the first time I've been unhappy to have a bird on my face."

-Jenson Button after having a bird hit him during a preseason practice

You cant say that for sure. The water leak had already started by his 2nd stop.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Here is the video of the Schumacher redflag incident....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzFD_aEVeAY
    I don't see why Michael was travelling as fast as he was under redflag conditions, there was absolutely nothing to be gained from it.
    this was part of the overarching strategy, to show Alonso who is boss on a lovel playing field.....MS has deliberately incurred 2 penalty seconds (of course in close co-operation with FIA) and will then make mince meat of little Freddy in the afternoon....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    this was part of the overarching strategy, to show Alonso who is boss on a lovel playing field.....MS has deliberately incurred 2 penalty seconds (of course in close co-operation with FIA) and will then make mince meat of little Freddy in the afternoon....
    Whilst enabling the future of Ferrari to battle it out for the win together at the front? Right?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Whilst enabling the future of Ferrari to battle it out for the win together at the front? Right?
    yes all part of the grand scheme...We all know that Ferrari controls everything and that is good. If it was left to the British garage companies, we would all be watching Formula Junior now.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's raining atm, it's been so long since a good wet race.

Hopefully it'll get rid of the tyre issues as well. I'd imagine the wet and inter tyres have a far wider operating temperature window, so hopefully all this nonsense of the graining goes away and we can see them pushing 100% as well as have some weather.
    I am the Stig

So my rain dance seems to have worked.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information