Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Killer? Viper '08 is coming!

Corvette Killer? Viper '08 is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by LNN.com
    Chrysler has revealed the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 — a more powerful version of its popular two-seat sports cars. It will arrive in Dodge showrooms in North America this summer. The SRT model gains an additional 90 horsepower from the new 8.4-liter powerplant, for a total of 600 hp and 560 lb.-ft. of torque.

Zero to 60 mph takes under four seconds, and 0-100-0 mph is completed in just over 12 seconds. The Viper SRT10's 8.4-liter engine breathes through new cylinder heads equipped with CNC-machhined combustion chambers, larger valves and Variable Valve Timing (VVT). VVT electronically adjusts when the exhaust valves are open and closed according to engine speed and load.

The Viper SRT10's V10 channels its power through a new, smaller-diameter, twin-disc clutch. The transmission is the latest evolution of the Tremec T56 six-speed manual, known as the TR6060. It features 10 percent wider gears for higher torque capacity and a new synchronizer package. Stopping power is another key attribute of the Dodge Viper SRT10 formula, with 14-inch brake rotors gripped by Brembo dual opposing calipers, good for 60-to-0 mph in less than 100 feet.

2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

What are dual opposing calipers? Is that two calipers facing each other on each rotor? Sounds pretty nice. I'm surprised they've gone with a VVT system.

I don't see Dodge's logic. They didn't need to up the engine size and possibly add weight (it's already above 8-litres FFS!) to gain power. I'm sure they could find a LOT more than an additional 90 horsepower in the existing engine without upping the size. A TVR Sagaris/Tuscan S will get to 100 in 8 seconds...yes, that is correct, with a 4.0 Speed Six powerplant, so why does Dodge need an 8.4 V10 just to manage it in over 12?

All of this is irrelevant though, what they need to do is make it handle. Chevrolet have managed it with the Corvette (Z06) as well as giving it tremendous pace. The Viper will have to beat this mix in order to "kill" the Corvette. If the stated changes are all that's being done it's already game, set and match to the Corvette.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    I don't see Dodge's logic. They didn't need to up the engine size and possibly add weight (it's already above 8-litres FFS!) to gain power. I'm sure they could find a LOT more than an additional 90 horsepower in the existing engine without upping the size. A TVR Sagaris/Tuscan S will get to 100 in 8 seconds...yes, that is correct, with a 4.0 Speed Six powerplant, so why does Dodge need an 8.4 V10 just to manage it in over 12?

All of this is irrelevant though, what they need to do is make it handle. Chevrolet have managed it with the Corvette (Z06) as well as giving it tremendous pace. The Viper will have to beat this mix in order to "kill" the Corvette. If the stated changes are all that's being done it's already game, set and match to the Corvette.
    The '06 Viper had near equal times in almost every road test. I'm sure it'll handle pretty well compared to the Vette.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

0-100 and back to 0, not just 0-100.

I don't see Dodge's logic. They didn't need to up the engine size and possibly add weight (it's already above 8-litres FFS!) to gain power. I'm sure they could find a LOT more than an additional 90 horsepower in the existing engine without upping the size.
    The weight of the motor won't change significantly since it's not a new block, just an overbored or stroked one.

A TVR Sagaris/Tuscan S will get to 100 in 8 seconds...yes, that is correct, with a 4.0 Speed Six powerplant, so why does Dodge need an 8.4 V10 just to manage it in over 12?
    The 12 seconds is 0-100-0. That includes braking time.

http://autos.yahoo.com/dodge_viper_s...e-performance/

Last I checked a G on the skidpad and just under 70mph through the 600' slalom was pretty damn good.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03
    What are dual opposing calipers? Is that two calipers facing each other on each rotor?
    The caliper is fixed on the rotor, and pistons on both sides provide clamping force against the rotor.

Normal systems are sliding or floating and have pistons on one side. When the piston comes out, it hits the rotor and the other side of the caliper then slides on a pin to contact the rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo.com
    What are the benefits of opposed-piston fixed calipers?

A fixed caliper is secured rigidly to the axle assembly and has at least two opposing pistons that force the pads against the disc. A sliding or floating caliper has pistons on only one side of the disc. Therefore, when the caliper acts, it must slide or float in order to bring the pad on the opposite side in contact with the disc. Nearly all original equipment calipers are of the floating type. In a system with fixed calipers, not only is the mounting much more rigid, but the stiffness of the caliper itself is greatly increased. This manifests itself in enhanced braking performance, pedal feel, and pad wear.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    The '06 Viper had near equal times in almost every road test. I'm sure it'll handle pretty well compared to the Vette.
    What I'm saying is that they've possibly added more weight, meaning handling on the limit will suffer. The uprated brakes will help track times, but reducing weight will see bigger gains. It's the key. The SRT-10 Coupe weighs 1,563kg, the Z06 weighs 1,421kg.

The Tuscan S (I'm comparing it because really it's the same type of car) weighs 1,100kgs and is quicker than them both (the new Viper is a third slower to 100) with a smaller, less powerful engine. Oh, and it handles.

If I were in charge of the development of the Viper I'd try to cut the weight down. Just swapping one material for another can be enough, you don't have to change the design of the car at all normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    The 12 seconds is 0-100-0. That includes braking time.
    Ah, misread that. That's more like it! I was wondering how it could be so slow.... What's the 0-100 part of that?

I don't have any braking figures for the Tuscan S that I've been comparing to the Z06 and the Viper.

EDIT: the only thing I do have is this quote from the review on pistonheads.com:

"Gut Wrenching

Braking, as you’d expect from racing spec brakes, is awesome, almost too awesome in fact. The fronts are 322mm ventilated discs with four-piston callipers and the rears a single-piston sliding calliper clamps on to 298mm discs - and no ABS remember! Under heavy braking the Tuscan S can rearrange your organs and the lack of weight comes into play once again as the car seemingly shoves its feet into the road and stops on command. It can lead to sensory overload, but the savage brakes fit the car’s character perfectly."

Last I checked a G on the skidpad and just under 70mph through the 600' slalom was pretty damn good.
    Handling isn't just about figures though. The Viper has been slated by UK jouralists for very vague steering, amongst other things. I remember one test in particular. The Viper was taken through a series of corners and compared to other cars. At least, that was the intention. Carrying a decent amount of speed through an 'S' bend resulted in the Viper understeering at first, then slithering (no pun intended ) off the track sideways.
    Last edited by Clivey; 12-28-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Rummmmble

i saw it at a local magazine stand....but isnt the "blue devil" z06 coming?
    Ferrari will be WCC. Whoever wins the WDC will be from the Scuderia.........Yet who?

8.4-litres... that's big...

Does it actually replace the 8.2-litre version or will both be sold together?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

its still underachieving its displacement
    Ferrari will be WCC. Whoever wins the WDC will be from the Scuderia.........Yet who?

In before "HP/L is bs!!!11!1" posts.

This is the old underachieving 8.3L SRT motor. Find me any other street engine that makes 400ft-lb at 2000rpm.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Find me any other street engine that makes 400ft-lb at 2000rpm.
    1.8T, moron.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Thread Information