Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Anybody Seen District 9 Yet?

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.

Has Anybody Seen District 9 Yet?

I did see the film today. The film was actually pretty good. I thought that the plot was quite interesting. Its just that there were f words in practically every second or third sentence. Let alone, the graphic violence. And to make it " better ", it was rated 14A. Your guy's thoughts?
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Swearing really bothers you? I don't mean to sound patronizing, but you are 19, right? I have not seen it, but many of my friends have and none of them mentioned excessive cussing as detracting from the movie at all.
    In fact, most of them are giving the movie rave reviews. One went so far as to say it was the best movie he had ever seen in a theater, and he is a pretty hard man to please cinematically. I do hang around sci-fi/exploitation-movie nerds, so maybe their views won't quite align with the general public's but I am definitely seeing this movie in the near future, and based on the Halo movie teaser the director knows his shit.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 08-20-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Swearing really bothers you? I don't mean to sound patronizing, but you are 19, right? I have not seen it, but many of my friends have and none of them mentioned excessive cussing as detracting from the movie at all.
    In fact, most of them are giving the movie rave reviews. One went so far as to say it was the best movie he had ever seen in a theater, and he is a pretty hard man to please cinematically. I do hang around, sci-fi/exploitation-movie nerds, so maybe their views won't quite align with the general public's but I am definitely seeing this movie in the near future, and based on the Halo movie teaser the director knows his shit.
    i don't swear. i got into alot of trouble when i was young for doing it. and i love my mom too much to swear. when it comes to sci-fi though, i love that kind of stuff. i don't believe in aliens or anything, i just think its a cool idea.
    PINGAS!!!!

As far as swearing goes, I'm so immune to the stuff that I don't even notice it anymore. District 9 as a movie was amazing. I highly recommend this movie to anyone that has been disappointed with movies of late and wants to feel very excited again. This film will make you go "that was so cool!" It starts off with a documentary kind of twist to get the audience filled in on the events that have/are taking place, and soon goes into a very involving sci-fi experience. Loved every single minute of it.

I went to see it, but only saw about 30 minutes of it. About the part (POSSIBLE SPOILER) he gets sprayed in the face, the camera man drops the camera (I think) and the theatre screen went black(As if the camera shut off). Turns out the bulb in the projector went ka-put. So I got a re-fund AND a free movie. Completely worth it.

i remember going to a theater and having that happen.
    PINGAS!!!!

I'm a massive fan of Neill Blomkamp's original short film - Alive in Joburg - before knowing about this film, it was great to see the jump onto the big screen and done so well. Although the mainstream adaptation is excellent, some of the politicization of the short is gone, and a major element or two from the short have been removed from the long version, such as more than one ship, the censorship of the alien's faces and the theft of supplies such as power by the multiple ships.

Having said, I greatly enjoyed District 9, and as I said I really enjoyed seeing a short film re-made to such a scale. Sharlto Copley also is in the short, which was quite cool to see him re-appear in the lead role.

Copley was amazing in there. am i the only one that wants to turn into an alien?
    i just couldn't get over that cute Prawn child.
    PINGAS!!!!

haha the little prawn boy was cute. i saw it last night, it was really good. the graphics were done really well. it had some humour in it and the plot was very nice. lots of interesting points made about society. felt the movie had a tinge of racism. not being racism but was depicting racism. i enjoyed it. thought it was very good. lots of action. as for the swearing, i love in NYC. i'm immune
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I haven't seen it yet, but my friend said it was horrible. Horribly awesome!
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

District 9 was great, but it made me want to take a shower afterward. And get a tetanus shot. And throw a pig at someone.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

I'll probably go and see it when I'm back in England, but yea, all that I've heard so far has been really good.

I had a date set up with this movie, but pulled a sickie and didn't go. This one or inglorious bastards was the choice. And being to confused i decided to miss them both. But i will at some stage see it.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    District 9 was great, but it made me want to take a shower afterward. And get a tetanus shot. And throw a pig at someone.
    LOL. Yea, I felt the same way. But man, was it awesome. One of the better Sci-Fi films I've seen in a long time. And am I the only one who thinks the prawns must be the technological agents behind the creation of every Unreal Tournament weapon ever made? Loved the lightning gun. I don't think I've ever seen a mainstream film where so many ppl were actually "gibbed".
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    LOL. Yea, I felt the same way. But man, was it awesome. One of the better Sci-Fi films I've seen in a long time. And am I the only one who thinks the prawns must be the technological agents behind the creation of every Unreal Tournament weapon ever made? Loved the lightning gun. I don't think I've ever seen a mainstream film where so many ppl were actually "gibbed".
    i agree i was thinking of unreal tournament the whole time. wish we could have seen more prawn weapons in use. or even the Quake series.

the pig throw was epic! so was catfood.

i think im gonna name my first kid vikus!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Thread Information