Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Jaguar F-Type review

I like the F-type as well as any Jag. But I don't see how they're coming away with this being connected in any way to the E. (is it just me?) :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It still is, quite possibly, the most desirable car currently on sale though...
    I'd rather have the brute from the colony in the new Vette...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I'd rather have the brute from the colony in the new Vette...
    The Corvette is a fine motor car, undoubtedly, but the F-Type looks better, sounds better, has a lovely interior, quite possibly equivalent handling and of course it's a Jaguar; which the Chevrolet isn't.

(Shame about the preposterous price tag)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Looks better I agree. Sounds better is subjective and so far, basing on youtube vid I've seen of both, thats kind of a toss up(I've heard the F-Type in person and it does sound nice, but not a new Vette yet). Interior the Jag better be nicer. The new Vette is quite a bit better than any Vette I've seen. And most of the new GM have pretty good interior now.

And it'll probably cost 30-40% less than a Jag V8S(V6 is still $17k more than the base price for the Vette, and $11k more than the Vette I'd spec if I were to buy one), most likely be faster on a track(I doubt the Jag will actually handle better). And its 200lb(100 less than a V6) lighter than a Jag V8S...and since European always like to complain, it has manual transmission to Jag's auto only....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 07-30-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

As I said the new Corvette is a fine motorcar and I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed if I had one, and of course it has a manual gearbox which is nice touch (although eventually the Jag will also get one). I would personally go for the V6S, which probably strikes the best balance between handling, music and performance and of course bear in mind that in Europe the Corvette isn't the bargain it is in the US.

However in terms of sheer desirability none of this matters. Here, the Jag has the Corvette not just beaten, but destroyed. The F-Type is the first proper production Jaguar sportscar since the E-Type, which was unveiled a massive 52 years ago. That's a lot of time for a comeback, so they had to get it right. And they have. It may not be perfect, but on what matters it ticks all the boxes. Yes, it's expensive and maybe a little bit too large and little bit too heavy and for the moment only available with an automatic; but it's beautiful, sounds mean and (apparently) drives like a sportscar.

Most of all though, it feels like a proper Jag, and a modern one at that. Everyone knows I like the XF a lot, it is a proper sports saloon, modern and special to drive, but perhaps it's a little rough around the edges and it looks a little bit too generic. The F-Type improves on the modern Jaguar formula, with excitement turned all the way up to eleven. It's one of those cars that needs no explanation, much like the Dodge Challenger or the Fiat 500 TwinAir; it's just an example of how great the automobile can be.

In those aspects, which can't be measured, the F-Type is hard to beat.
    Visca Catalunya!

Does F type come with a luggage rack option? Because I think it also comes with a tiny trunk...

www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It looks a lot like a Maserati Gran Turismo. Same platform or what?

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    It looks a lot like a Maserati Gran Turismo. Same platform or what?
    Nope...this thing is tiny compare to the Maser...

Rather, Maser is quite large...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The Maserati has more wheelbase than the XF saloon car. However the F-Type isn't exactly tiny either.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hence comparing to the Maser....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This thing is 3900+ lb? How? Last C&D issue has the V8S weigh in at 3974lb. The C7 Vette is 3444lb....How is an all aluminum open top Jag weigh 500+ lb more than a Vette?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This thing is 3900+ lb? How? Last C&D issue has the V8S weigh in at 3974lb. The C7 Vette is 3444lb....How is an all aluminum open top Jag weigh 500+ lb more than a Vette?
    The F-Type vs C7 is an interesting comparison, I hadn't considered it myself being British but it is interesting to see the competition and comparison's made in non-domestic markets.

I will say that as someone who is now very familiar with the F-Type that I am not entirely sure that the 500lb weight difference is truly representative. I haven't read the C&D article myself but i expect there will be some minor differences in infotainment and options that contribute to the weight difference.

Note: Having finally navigated the C&D website myself i find their V8S weight to be listed as 3671 lbs [2] and the equivalent C7, which should be the convertible for equal comparison (a lot of people are comparing it to rival coupe's which isn't entirely fair) is 3362 lbs [3] so say a 300+ lb difference which changes what i had to planned to write following this.

The C7 is impressively light for its size, however i think the 300lb difference can be attributed to something you originally touched upon which is the primary construction material. The Jag is all aluminium but the C7 features a significant number of composite panels, some of which are semi-structural and can provide significant weight saving.

From the list of composite panels i have seen "Carbon-fiber (CF) floor and bulkhead panels, We also expect CF to replace all the sheet-molded fiberglass exterior panels [1]" it is easy to see how the weight difference could arise, to be honest i would expect it to be a lot larger than it is, given that the original weight target for the C7 was 3000lbs.

1. 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Secret Info and Renderings - News - Car and Driver
    2. 2014 Jaguar F-type roadster Reviews - Jaguar F-type roadster Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER
    3. 2014 Chevrolet Corvette convertible Reviews - Chevrolet Corvette convertible Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER
    www.flickr.com/photos/mlunnphotography

The actual test is not on their site yet....usually a month late than the printed material(for obvious reason...)
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Wow.....I just saw the #'s on the Jaguar F-Type R coupe!!
    Thanks, Joe

The actual test is not on their site yet....usually a month late than the printed material(for obvious reason...)
    3974lb

2014 Jaguar F-type V-8 S Test Car and Driver

This is per their actual instrumented test, vs the usualy "first drive" or other stuff that quotes press release info...

C7 for comparison:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S Comparison Tests - Page 4 - Car and Driver
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information