Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan's rotary or America's V8

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    What is THE most reliable Le Mans engine EVER built with the highest percentage of finishes ??
    The 20B.

The rotary is a fantastic racing engine but it never has to last for longer than 24 hours. For highpower street applications, the rotary is almost worthless.

Didnt they race the 26B

The rotary is only worthless because too many people are ignorant. Look outside the US and tuned rotaries are revered like GTR's
    I am the Stig

I have a chevy blazer that has 135k on the odo. A toyota supra that has roughly 100k on the odo and they both run perfect. For all the "jap cars dont run for a long time" you probably haven't owned one. I know they are reliable cars because my mom drove a Honda Accord and nothing was ever wrong with it. They are becoming popular and people dont like it. Just because toyota is selling more, just as much, or a little less as ford and gm. My family owns both a Ford F150 and also a Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. The X-runner doesnt rattle at all, even with a Xtant Subwoofer blasting constantly in it. My dads truck is silent as a mouse also. Ride is smooth as hell and very nice. My supra on the other hand rattles some, its mostly in the glove compartment and the hatch though. Which is most likely metal to metal or plastic to plastic vibration. Fixable, but most things more than 15 years old need some work. And as for the rotary thing like i said its all about power these days. And with the GTO having alot, its pretty obvious. But style and technology goes to the rotary. With out a doubt. Plus how many other cars are running rotary engines these days? Not tooooo many. Maybe cause replacement parts are quite a pocket burner.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by PBB
    The 20B.

The rotary is a fantastic racing engine but it never has to last for longer than 24 hours. For highpower street applications, the rotary is almost worthless.
    lol the truest statement i've seen in this thread yet.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    japanese cars last until ~120,000km's, and then they're on borrowed time. this is fact.
    simpler, not as stressed V8's will last a lot longer.
    What?

You're just talking about Rotarys right.

Our Corona is at 230,000kms and never skipped a beat ever. I've seen Coronas with almost twice that that are fine.

Pull yer head in Clutch!

V8 there is no question about it, I love the feeling of sitting behind a gigantic inefficient engine as opposed to the little power developed from the rx-8's rotary, but i preferably would like a bigger engine to add mods to

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    What?

You're just talking about Rotarys right.

Our Corona is at 230,000kms and never skipped a beat ever. I've seen Coronas with almost twice that that are fine.

Pull yer head in Clutch!
    yeah, rotaries and honda's
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

If were comparing the GTO to the rx-8, what about breaking and handeling? Theres no doubt the GTO would win on the drag strip, but i think the lighter, nimpler rx would do laps around that beast on the track.
    Again, although the GTO puts out 400hp compared to the RX-8's 232, the GTO does displace 6.0L, compared to the mazda's 1.3L. The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
    the GTO puts out 400hp compared to the RX-8's 232, the GTO does displace 6.0L, compared to the mazda's 1.3L. The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.
    Comparing power/displacement with the sbc v8 and wankel rotary is like comparing an apple and an orange. The two engines serve different purposes, and rotaries aren't known to displace 2+ liters. 3+ would be overkill in a street-legal car.

If were comparing the GTO to the rx-8, what about breaking and handeling? Theres no doubt the GTO would win on the drag strip, but i think the lighter, nimpler rx would do laps around that beast on the track.
    Again, although the GTO puts out 400hp compared to the RX-8's 232, the GTO does displace 6.0L, compared to the mazda's 1.3L. The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.
    i thought they did put a 3 rotor rotary in the eunos cosmos.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    japanese cars last until ~120,000km's, and then they're on borrowed time. this is fact.
    simpler, not as stressed V8's will last a lot longer.
    hate to break this to you but i got a mistu L300 1990 model, with 400,000 kms on the clock and its still going stong. so much for 120,000

The per liter out put of this engine is staggering, mazda should consider producing a 3 or 4 rotor version that would out gun almost anything we Americans could throw at it.
    And have about 1/10th the longevity as the American cars.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebrows
    hate to break this to you but i got a mistu L300 1990 model, with 400,000 kms on the clock and its still going stong. so much for 120,000
    fine! FINE! i admit it. i was talking out my ass
    i still say rotaries and 4-bangers will die sooner than a V8 will

twin turbo the rotar and youre laughing
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    The LS2 shits all over the Rotary. It has a great torque curve, sounds so much better, and is not heavy by any means (385lbs dry).
    The Rotary eats oil like it does gas, and form what Ive heard are not very reliable.
    Eat oil, where are these facts coming from Slick, sounds like a massive generalization again. A guy I know races a 13b and its heaps more reliable than some high stressed V8's that he always beats . He freshened up his motor before the Nationals, before it had raced for 4 seasons, 6 races a season of 15-20 laps plus probably 12 prcatice days . You do the math slicks. The other pic of Torana with a 650 hp 350 Chev gets freshen twice a season and it costs more to freshen a V8 than it does a rotor.

As the old saying goes V8 for towing a rotor for going
    P.S Check out the lap times the V8 gets smoked

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/cars/sutton.htm

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/cars/eldridge.htm
    Last edited by charged; 03-09-2006 at 02:42 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Thread Information