Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A warning for all autosocks owners

I'm pretty sure it'll be the same all around the world, not just Brits XD

I'm impartial, I'm not British at all.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Nope, not in Denmark .

But i'm curious about how she could hit the house. If it's a normal manual, the car would go nowhere without anyone behind the throttle. So the car must be an Automatic, which makes me question the BMW automatic gearboxes, as a prober automatic gear box would change gear when it spins the wheels (as the revs raise and therefor shifts gear), but apparently it doesn't, which is why she goes nowhere (if it was in 2nd gear the torque should be higher and therefor be able to pull itself up)
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Basically, in a manual car this would've never happen.

Manual gearboxes are safety devices.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Basically, in a manual car this would've never happen.

Manual gearboxes are safety devices.
    Yes.
    And BMW AutoGears are rubbish
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Not necessarily, though her wheels where spinning too quickly for me to think its true. Once you let out the clutch, you can creep forward at idle, which I'm sure offers more resistance to the drivetrain than the wheels just spinning up by themselves, so I don't think the car would stall.
    However, the thing that makes me think that it's an auto, is first it's middle-aged woman in a 1er and second most manual drivers, I think, are conditioned to take the car out of gear whenever something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Not necessarily, though her wheels where spinning too quickly for me to think its true. Once you let out the clutch, you can creep forward at idle, which I'm sure offers more resistance to the drivetrain than the wheels just spinning up by themselves, so I don't think the car would stall.
    However, the thing that makes me think that it's an auto, is first it's middle-aged woman in a 1er and second most manual drivers, I think, are conditioned to take the car out of gear whenever something happens.
    Yes some cars do have some sort of "anti-stall" systems where the throttle will be applied automatically to keep the car from stalling when setting off. But i do not believe this is the case, as it ran for to long and too fast.

But we should have a thread every winter about "funny" ice/snow car ignorance.

Here's one from USA
    http://jp.dk/jptv/nyheder/udland/article2285389.ece
    It's basically about an ice covered hill which the Americans slide down from, and "play" dominoes.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Well maybe it's only the dim BMW ones .....

PS: They SHOULD be fitted to the DRIVEN wheels
    AAAH! Are you on PH?! Guy that lives around the corner took that on the High Street! Also in town we've had a Ford Fusion with autosocks on the rear wheels rather than the fronts...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    AAAH! Are you on PH?! Guy that lives around the corner took that on the High Street! Also in town we've had a Ford Fusion with autosocks on the rear wheels rather than the fronts...
    That's even more stupid that putting socks on a BMW front. Putting them on the rear wheels of a front wheel car do close to absolutely nothing, as the braking balance is to the front (FR cars brakes mostly on the fronts) and the rear is just following up.
    You got a picture of the Ford?
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

On a related note, a rather large number of 1-series owners actually think the car is FWD.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/23/the-craziest-damn-thing-youll-hear-today-80-of-bmw-1-series-o/
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    On a related note, a rather large number of 1-series owners actually think the car is FWD.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/23/the-craziest-damn-thing-youll-hear-today-80-of-bmw-1-series-o/
    As I said earlier, that statistic is suspect.

It comes from BMW, and it was bandied about in reference to BMW making FWD models.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    AAAH! Are you on PH?!
    yes, but link came via RX8 club forum.
    We want pics of the Ford
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Question about the 1 Series: isn't the automatic version actually an actuated manual gearbox?

Waiting for a picture of a V8 Ferrari (California excluded) with the owner trying to put his golf bag in the back.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Question about the 1 Series: isn't the automatic version actually an actuated manual gearbox?
    Nope, it's a conventional torque converter auto.

In any case, don't all clutchless cars crawl forwards a bit when you leave them in gear in order to not stall?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Nope, it's a conventional torque converter auto.

In any case, don't all clutchless cars crawl forwards a bit when you leave them in gear in order to not stall?
    Yes.
    This is also why i believe it's an automatic.
    But still a rubbish one, as it allows her to spin the wheels and build up revs instead of changing gear.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Thread Information