Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Definitive Bangle Argument

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I can guarantee you he loves the controversy. But besides that, the cars just look like okay cars that then had some random lines drawn on them by kindergarteners. And while the 7-series carries the styling pretty decently, none of the others hold up to me. The 6 is okay but far from pretty, and the 5-series and especially the Z4 are absolutely hideous to me.

Give me fins and chrome any day. That's advancing styling as much as I want it to be advanced.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I suppose the thing to remember is that not every model is MEANT to be a stunner. It's meant to look like a car in it's class, only with a unique style. The Z4, to me, is the ultra-modern version of the classic roadsters of times gone by.

I like the 7 series' boot, I reckon it looks classy and has prescence. I like the boot better than the front.

jcp123 are there ANY european cars you actually like? I'm not being a smartass, but it seems like nearly anything European gets instant dismissal from you.
    PS That's quite a heroic signature you got there

I like some classic european, but otherwise not really. I'm not a fan of new cars at all no matter where they're from, as I'm sure you know. So it's not just European cars, rest assured. But I will admit to one thing, and that's having a hard time overcoming the somewhat pompous image BMW has here in the States.

A short list:
    Nearly any Ferrari late 50's-early 60's with a Pininfarina body
    ~'58-'71 Mercedes 280SE's (especially 3.5's!)
    50's Mercedes 230SL Cabrio
    Mercedes 300SEL 6.3
    BMW 503/3200CS
    Most any Rolls or Bentley before their acquisitions (yes, even EFI ones!)
    Aston DB5/6
    Most late 50's/60's Alfas
    First-gen Maser Quattroporte
    And quite a few more, those are just a few representative examples.
    Last edited by jcp123; 12-07-2004 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    I like some classic european, but otherwise not really. I'm not a fan of new cars at all no matter where they're from, as I'm sure you know. So it's not just European cars, rest assured. But I will admit to one thing, and that's having a hard time overcoming the somewhat pompous image BMW has here in the States.
    Fair enough, I suppose. Funny thing is that over here Mercedes' have the pompous asshole image, but BMW have their fair share of idiot followers. BMW, however, more often then not make damn good cars. Don't get me wrong I still loathe whoever de-badges their 3 series to try and make it look sporty in in order to get rid of the 318i badge....

Yeah, Mercedes used to have the pompus image here, but BMW has wrested that title from them. Actually as Euro cars go, Mercedes would have to be my favorite. Well engineered and comfortable with an emphasis (up until a couple years ago) on quality. Would love to have our ol '79 300SD back, that thing was great.

I did once see a Honda Civic here with BMW badges. Even had the 330i on the deck lid. What a tool.

I can't stand the company that Mercedes' has turned into. They're looking cheaper and cheaper with each model, and beginning to rely on the badge rather than the car.

I think the term 'Tool' applies anywhere when concerning the phrase 'I saw a Honda Civic with a...'

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferous
    I can't stand the company that Mercedes' has turned into. They're looking cheaper and cheaper with each model, and beginning to rely on the badge rather than the car.

I think the term 'Tool' applies anywhere when concerning the phrase 'I saw a Honda Civic with a...'
    Couldn't agree more on both

Bangle should be sacked

I know it is a matter of opinions but I have said this before in other threads. Mr Bangle should have been sacked years ago. I don't agree he and BMW are progressing designs "forward". If they are (or attempting to do), I hate to see the next wave of BMWs. I rate the new 5 series as one of the ugliest sedans in the world.

How can you? Look at the E-class next to a five, it looks soooo borring. Today's BMW's push the envelope, break new ground and look good while doing it. I have never understood why so many people hate their designs.
    I rate Bangle, really rate him cos he has had the bravery to put one of the most hallowed names in motoring into a design revolution. I promise you, in a few years, today's BMWs would have aged beautifully and people would really appreciate the acheivements of an enthusiastic and talented designer. Until then, he has to face a hell of a lot of flak.

German Cars have been an excercise in conservative design for years. While they are reputed for build quality and luxury/comfort, the have retained a styling faithfully throughout different models. Amercian, Asian and many other European cars change designs, sometimes radically over a period of years. (both of the pictures are of commodores). BMW have alienated their traditional customers and not really won over many new ones with the radical designs. Maybe a bit too academaically designed for its own good
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferous
    6 series, Z4, the 7 Series, the 1 Series
    Are we talking about Bangle as a designer, or design director?

The M5 is the responsibility of Ulf Weidhase, head of design for BMW M and Individual.

The 6, 7 and Z4 were all the produce of a van Hooydonk.

The 1 series was Chris Chapman(?).

Bangle did the E46 3 series though, according to most reports.
    Thanks for all the fish

the reason why bangle has sucseeded is, when you see a new bmw on the road u look twice or either cant stop looking. in my own opinion tho i have likes every single one of his designs, but the most disapointing thing is these pics of the new 3 series. there rediculous looking. therefore well done bangle

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Are we talking about Bangle as a designer, or design director?
    As being a design director, and introducing flame surfacing to the populace. He cops all the flak so I reckon he should get the credit too.

Since Bangle became the designer all of the BMW's have been master pieces. I can't wait to see what he does with the M3
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Yeah I'll be disappointed if its as restrained as the M6, but my prediction is that the M2 will be a cracker

Thread Information