32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Halo 2

13 40.63%
  • Half Life 2

19 59.38%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half Life 2 vs. Halo 2

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    you can upgrade an xbox. its just a computer with a permanent system on it, ive seen many upgraded xbox's. upgraded procesors, harddrives, vid cards, sound cards, everything.

you can't upgrade anything else except for the processor and hard drive.....a processor can't help you much with better graphics.

still......i saw nfsu on both xbox and pc, believe me the graphics were a LOT better on PC.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

i know someone personally who has upgraded the vid card. w/e, who cares really, everyone has a pc.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by Decave
    ok first of all ur completely wrong that halo 2 is the exact same as the first halo. it has xbox live, it has completely different levels, the AI is much better, and there are a LOT more new weapons not just a few. also, the only reason that half life 2 has better graphics is b/c its on PC (and yes i know b/c of its new engine) but MANY MANY pc games have better graphics then console games and its only b/c they have the capacity to have better graphics. also u cant make judgements about half life 2 if u havent even used the weapons yet!
    Looks like we got a Halo2 fanboy here. I've played both, Half Life 2 is twice the game that Halo2 is. Halo2 is fun, but theres nothing really new, its more an update than a sequel. Evolution not revolution if you will. Half Life 2 has an awesome story, setting, gameplay (using the Antlions to take the beaches - awesome idea), and is brimming with inspiration. It's graphics aren't as polished as I would like, but animation and scripted events make up for this.

Halo2 - Good.
    Half Life 2 - Instant classic.

so... u like halo 2?
    yes i see images of the game but i dont play..but i would like to play
    ucp's Biggest lotus fan***

Narb's collection of pictures...

Half life, Play Counterstrike at a pc cafe with about 20 kids and it's the best mutilplayer game ever
    Graphics game play fun it's all in there
    But got to say that underground 2 is bloody unreal, It might give GT4 heart burn
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Im with wolf03, Luciferous, TheOne.

Halo 2 is like a halo expansion pack. Same enemies, few more guns and vehicles, online gameplay, and yeh FPS console sucks.

Half Life 2 is..well the best game out there. The graphics, gameplay and sheer detail make it completely amazing.

Definitely Half Life 2

Yep, HL2 is fantastic. Plus it contains CS Condition Zero!

Big Thumps up.
    Michael and Ferrari - Sempre il numero 1!
    You can never go plenty fast enough...

Halo 2 is compared to Halo as Unreal Tournament 2004 compared to Unreal Tournament. Yes, there are better graphics, yes, a few more weapons have been thrown in, yes, a couple of unecessary features have been added to make it "good" but it's nothing revolutionary or anything that screams "I need that game!" I would choose UT04 over Halo 2 any day because it is customizable (new maps, skins, and FREE online play, unlike with Halo 2 where Microsoft is ripping people off), so obviously I would take Half Life 2 over Halo 2. Again, Half Life 2 has FREE online play and it's a sequel worth checking out, unlike Halo 2. I would not be so harsh on Halo 2 if it wouldn't be so over-rated!! I also heard that they're planning on making a Halo movie, I mean Microsoft just doesn't stop sucking money out of people. I mean what game has been turned into a game so early? No, this doesn't prove that the game was that good, it proves to what lengths Microsoft will go to rip people off.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by CoTTerik
    few more guns and vehicles
    ummm.....few more guns? 5 weapons were drastically changed in damage/rate of fire wise, and the rest were completly changed, in every respect.
    im not saying half life 2 is bad, im about to buy it even. but.....no gun is truly useable for what is was used for before except of course, the rocket launcher, sniper, and fuel rod. all other are either new, or accuracy/power/rate of fire was changed.

yea u guys need to stop bashin halo2 so much! i'll give u that its pretty stupid that they're making a halo movie... they should focus their energy on making another game or something but yea half life 2 was revolutionary and yes it does have free online play which is a big plus. but it really bugs me when i play Counter Strike b/c everybody cheats and it takes away from the game a bit. yes also you guys were totally on when you said that it was overrated it is but i also think that half life 2 is as well. also u guys need to give halo2's plot some more credit. besides the end it is very goood has many good twists. i've just always loved halo and i feel that i need to uphold its reputation. (idk i guess im crazy)
    I like SUVs because they can tow my 36 foot sailboat.

you are crazy decave:P

yea u guys need to stop bashin halo2 so much! i'll give u that its pretty stupid that they're making a halo movie... they should focus their energy on making another game or something but yea half life 2 was revolutionary and yes it does have free online play which is a big plus. but it really bugs me when i play Counter Strike b/c everybody cheats and it takes away from the game a bit. yes also you guys were totally on when you said that it was overrated it is but i also think that half life 2 is as well. also u guys need to give halo2's plot some more credit. besides the end it is very goood has many good twists. i've just always loved halo and i feel that i need to uphold its reputation. (idk i guess im crazy)
    Why should we stop? I reckon the game is overrated and I'm dissappointed by it. It seems a lot of people agree with me. Halo2 received heaps of hype because Microsoft desperately needs good games on the Xbox, and so tried to convince everyone that Halo2 would be the next revolution in FPS's. Its not and I'm annoyed.

The game needs actual good ideas to keep the genre moving along, like the pheremone things in Half Life 2, and fighting the Striders, plus little things like having Dog help you out. Thats what makes a game good, not throwing in more weapons and changing some details. Halo2 doesn't have a lot of good ideas in it. Why would you possibly want the pistol and shotgun to be be weaker? Why would you want the Sword to have one hit kills? Its just bored programmers over-tweaking a game that should've had an overhaul.

hmm very interesting comments by alot of you, some very understandable, and a few that show strong evidence of xbox or pc fanboys.

I dunno why Halo 2 is so over-rated. It's the same game as Halo except with better graphics and a few weapons thrown in. I asked a lot of people at school at most of them don't like Halo 2 because there's nothing special about it.
    Well theres the first problem with this statement. I could rant on for hours stating all the technical changes done to both games but i sure as hell wont, becuase i know that it is undeniably inevidable that some fanboy will try to prove me wrong. Straight to the point, a lot of you are judging h2 on the outside, and not what has been done on the inside. In other words a lot of the changes are not really recognisable, but have enough of a change to effect gamplay in a better way.

Moving on, anyone heard the saying that if your on a winning / successful formula, stick to it. I know i have, and it has been proven to be successful so many times. Why do a total overhaul of a game if the vast majority of gamers already love it, it could in fact make the game worse. Yes, hl2 has a new graphics engine, thats becuase it had to, imaging a new half life game coming out on the the engine. Halo2 had a formula that equalled success, and by using the same formula they have created a stunning seqaul that goes beyond my expectations. Little things such as the marines never saying the same thing twice, swearing and birds flying off bulidings etc all make the experiece all the worthwile.

Halo2 has numerous ideas that are worthy of praise, the vehicle manovering and controlls put half life 2's boat and buggy rides to absalout shame. I was damn bored of spending so much time in a water vehicle and doing the same old blowing barrels up, now that is not original, its scripted crap. Half Life2 relies TOO MUCH on physics. After one hour, the jumping the bridge and going back and forth had me yelling at the screen for something new to happen....no the same old grab the rocket launcher, 3 hits and the ugly looking craft gets blown up. Woopdy doo. And dog is crap, yes he looks good in the game, but cmon, its not the first time some mechanical thing has helped you out in a game. Even Perfect Darks lapto gun puts dog to shame.

let me see, sowrd one hit kills, makes sense to me, something as powerful as that isnt going to leave a small dent in your armour.

Half life 2 has some serious problems with linear gameplay, i dont know how many times i could guess what was coming around the next corner, ravenholm was the worst of all levels, i had fallen asleep following the crazy irish priest everywhere. The grav gun is also over rated, yes it is fun at first, but then again, moving crates and barrels gets severly boring as well.

Halo 2 is like a halo expansion pack. Same enemies, few more guns and vehicles, online gameplay, and yeh FPS console sucks.
    Same enemies, not neccesserily, many of the enemies charactersitics and details have been re developed and new enemies implemented. Not many new enemies that are memorable in hl2. The combine are autrocius and lack originalitiy, and the sand ant thingys, come on people, someone at Valve was watching Starship troopers one too many times.

Half Life 2 has an awesome story
    Wow, first time ive heard that, linear gameplay = foresight. Its undeniable evident that most players can guess whats going to happen next, and the ending sucked more that h2's, the gman makes no sense and gordon never speaks.

There is a link i could give that is about 4 pages of changes dont to both hl2 and halo2, and when you put aside the graphics engine, they have done equal amount of changes, its just that half life2 has so many noticable exterior changes from its predessor, it 2 had a semi-winning formula ( hl1 was crap ) but it had to have a new engine to run the game.

What must be understood is that both games are brilliant examples of gaming evolving, neither game is revolutionary, but that they evolve our perception of what gaming is. I finish by saying that half life2 is outdone due to the fact taht h2 multiplayer aspect is so damn good it has counter strike geeks flooding the forums with stupid reasons to condemn h2. HL2 outdoes h2 in its campaign aspect but only slightly, i got severly bored with the repetitivness. Anyhow it the mulitplayer aspect that makes halo2 edge just ahead of it mutual enemy, its so damn fun and makes me happy that i stopped playing cs months ago. Now if you excuse me, i have some french to kill.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

half life 2 is technically a better game, but a lot of it is due to the fact that pc hardware is a lot more advanced than xbox hardware, so they can do a lot more.

for me though, i had just as much fun playing halo 2 as i did playing half life 2, and thats basically all that matters. i couldnt care less if a game is technically better, if its not fun then its crap.
    halo 2 - november 9

I couldn't imagine Halo 2 getting ripped on, being called sucky! It's definitely a 9/10 game, a great experience.

But I'm sticking to Half Life 2... like i said, the experience is unrivaled by any other FPS and you'll always to be able to try new mods out on the game... and oh, there will be a flood of mods...

I must have spent a week just messing around in Half Life 2 after I beat it. I mean every level I found cool shit worthy of a screenshot. Now I've played through the entire game 3 times (the 2nd and 3rd time very long due to dicking around.)
    It is'nt hard to make full thoughts, just as it is'nt hard to spell full words. It is uncommon to see either on the internet.

Thread Information