Thread: Subaru Australia takes on tuners

Subaru Australia takes on tuners

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Subaru takes on tuners
    James Stanford
    17dec04

A POWERFUL Subaru WRX is being developed in Melbourne to take on after-market tuners.

The WRP10 WRX, slipping into the Impreza range between the 168kW WRX and the 195kW STi, will cost about $50,000.
    The limited-edition WRP10 showcases components from the STi range, including an STi engine control unit (ECU) and free-flow exhaust that boosts power to 175kW.

It also has matt-black STi wheels, Pirelli tyres, carbon-fibre front suspension strut-brace, lowering kit and stiffer suspension springs.

Subaru Australia general manager Nick Senior says the WRP10 is perfect for a customer who would have considered buying a WRX and having it customised.

"We are aware that a lot of people do modify their WRXs. We are offering them something a little bit different, but without all the compromises with after-market gear, warranty etc.

"We wanted to give people a safe alternative.

"We know from our experiences that some of the (after-market) stuff sold is not good.

"This shows what we can do using some STi components, but is also a stepping stone between a WRX and an STi.

"This is a slightly different interpretation because it is lowered, it has different alloy wheels. It's for someone who wants something a little bit different, who may not be able to stretch to an STi."

The WRX WRP10 is an important model for Subaru Australia because it is their first car to be developed locally.

Most of the development was done by a team that included former rally co-driver Greg Foletta, who is also an STi product development engineer, and Subaru Australia chief engineer Hee-Loong Wong.

Engineers at Melbourne Docklands rally centre also will build Club Spec WRX STi cars for Australian Rally Championship competitors.

Subaru Australia is celebrating breaking its yearly sales record a month early.

A boost pushed Subaru sales to 31,406 to the end of November. The performance was a 20 per cent improvement on the same month last year, and Senior says the company can finish the year with more than 33,000 sales.

All of Subaru's four models have sold strongly this year.

The Forester wagon is the best-selling, with 11,054 to the end of last month. In the same period, Subaru sold 7640 Imprezas, 6509 Libertys and 6203 Outbacks.

Herald Sun
    I am the Stig

I'm not sure they entirely get it. The people who want a modified one will buy the STI. The people that dont may buy the WRX or WRP10 but generally those inclined to modify will modify anything. Its more of a personalisation thing. So some people will probably be more incloned to buy a WRX and do their own thing.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I thought it would have heaps more power, I was thinking maybe a 230kw+ when i read the headline on the thread but was shocked it's not even 190kw
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Yeah i was hoping it'd be something about the STi, not something below it. the last thing we need is a 3rd model, theres already barely anything in it between the STi and WRX since the rex gained power and the STi lost it
    I am the Stig

That's why APS shits on them all here They dont go up 10-20kw they go 60kw+ I like that
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Like the idea but its not well executed.

First, sell it with no stereo in it. 99% of people who buy it are gunna put in a new one anyway.

2ndly, sell it with a gift voucher to Super Cheap Auto

Lol spastik...how about opening an AutO Barn store in all subaru dealerships with an upholstuor to mix and match clashing colours for the cars interior....mmmmm mmmmmm rice right from the dealership

I'd be interested to see how successful an STi stripper would sell (dont get the wrong idea Slick )

like just something like what ends up getting put in the ARC under group n (GT-P even to an extent), just with everything to make it road legal, for those remaining few out there that buy the damn things for its performance, grip etc.
    I am the Stig

Long gone are the days with factory walk throughs....It would be good if HSV and FPV walk their drivers through the builds so they can get rid of anything unneciscery from the car and get additional seam welding done from the factory and stuff....like the a9x days....

You could imagine the possible extra publicity from it all though, GT-P is now part of the V8 Supercar brigade and ARC seems to be growing and growing in appeal, Subaru could milk it for everything by offering an STi with a roll cage, stripped interior, retuned ECU and blueprinted engine
    I am the Stig

Yeah well theirs also the aspectof yougin thinking "im invincable" or problyjust as bad i own one of these cars im a racer...and it musant be too profitable if manufactuors havent done it since the late 70s....

Well you could also argue that since the 70's, cars havent really been worth doing such a thing to, its only the last 5-10 years cars have become pretty good again for what they are.

Perhaps if you needed like a CAMS racing license to buy one, just as a step so that they know its resonsible people buying them, and even then, would it really take that much trouble to get a first level CAMS license?
    I am the Stig

Thread Information