Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Mercedes McLaren road car

"McLaren is hoping to use carbonfibre construction for the new car, although there are doubts about the economic viability of using the material for a car with a projected price tag of about £110,000. One insider suggested that the composite monocoque would have to come in at £3000, factory cost. 'Very challenging,' he added..."

"It will be mid-engined thought, partly to make it distinct from the front-engined Mercedes SLR McLaren.

Another source told evo that if the car does go ahead, it will probably have to be built by Mercedes, as McLaren's new Woking factory is tied up producing the SLR and doesn't have the spare capacity."

evo #069 July '04
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    its just way sexier/faster(in some things not i know i know), and more beautifull.
    Thats just your opinion

Why Cant Mclaren build it them selves, without having this stupid merc badge on it?
    Who does what?? I presume mclaren do the most - obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    Why Cant Mclaren build it them selves, without having this stupid merc badge on it?
    Who does what?? I presume mclaren do the most - obviously.
    McLaren can't build it themselves for several reasons:-

As mentioned, the McLaren factory is making SLRs. There is no where for them to build any other cars. So unless Ron Dennis has some fancy dimension bending sci-fi equipment it'll have to be built somewhere else. Seeing as Mercedes are building the engine and transmission anyway, why not use their ample facilities?

Mercedes own a very sizeable chunk of McLaren - they can get their own way.
    I think Mercedes plan on taking full ownership of McLaren, using McLaren Cars as a sort of AMG plus, so why not put their badge on it?

Those images are pure speculation, with journo's putting the Merc badge on there for no reason. It hasn't been announced either way as to whether or not it will be Merc badged.

I should imagine that McLaren will be incharge of designing the car to fit around the Mercedes running gear. If, as Evo suggest, the car will not be made out of carbonfibre they might as well built it somewhere where they can build it out of metal.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information