Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Your first ride was.....

Does your dad think he can insure it in his name and put you down as a named driver ?

Sad to break the news that the insurance companies have closed that loophole
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

This kids just keep thinking we're stupid don't they? Have you ever drove sitting on day's lap?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Will My Porshce actually get a Porsche? I don't know, I remember when I was thirteen I thought if I saved every single dollar I'd get something cool too. As time passed, I blew every single dollar I earned instead. His parents are giving him 10 grand, he won't be the first kid to get that much for a car. I know in Europe you've gotta be 18 to drive, but for the most part it's 16 in the States and that's when most of us drive, on the other hand, you've gotta be 21 to drink(legally, ha) in the US it's just different culture and neither is better. It's risky to drive at 16, so what? I'm glad I did and I survived, truth is, most kids do survive. Even if he didn't spend large amounts of money on a Porsche he could still get himself and 80's F Body for next to nothing and kill himself, he could also go to party, get wasted and die of alcohol poisoning or maybe he'll do any of the millions of dumb things that a 16 year old can do because driving is only one of them. Being 16 is the dangerous thing, but it's also a lot of fun so lay off of the kid.

Oh, after spending every dollar I ever made, my first car is the 1980 AMC Spirit that I drive today, thanks to my parents. Worth about $1500 at purchase. Of course, I didn't get a car as soon as I got my license, so I drove the New Beetle that we had at the time until I got a car. They're kind of gay looking but it was still a blast to drive, handled great. I took it off road once in my 16 year old stupidity(I'd probably do it again though) i got to the other side of the field, which was quite a feat in a car that's 2 inches off the ground and then there was a ditch that I had to get through, I just kind of barrelled through it and messed up the front fascia a little, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCoelacanth
    Will My Porshce actually get a Porsche?
    hopefully, i saw a carrera rs 1973 and it was so beautiful, i want one now, well not a real one but a replica, or a 1995 993 carrera, the only thing that is bad is insurnace, i could afford the car, but my dad will only pay for "so" much insurance
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by AMCoelacanth
    Being 16 is the dangerous thing, but it's also a lot of fun so lay off of the kid.

thanks dude! they all poke fun of me for wanting (and probably getting) a porsche. im getting a german car no matter what i already know that, basically an

BMW:
    2004 X5 4.4i
    2000 330i

Audi:
    2002 A4 3.0
    2000 A6 4.2
    2001 S4

Mercedes:
    1999-2001 CLK 430
    2004 CLK 320

Porsche:
    1995 Carrera
    1973 Carrera
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

im turning 16 this summer and get a car a few days after my birthday and here are some cars that im aiming for -

98-99 Mitsubish Eclipse GS-t Or GSX
    or a Eagle talon TSi - basicly the same thing

Volvo 850 T-5 or T-5R

91-94 Nissan 240sx

97-01 Grand Prix GTP

How ever much money I have by my birthday will determine which car i will get

Quote Originally Posted by shr0olvl
    im turning 16 this summer and get a car a few days after my birthday and here are some cars that im aiming for -

98-99 Mitsubish Eclipse GS-t Or GSX
    or a Eagle talon TSi - basicly the same thing

Volvo 850 T-5 or T-5R

91-94 Nissan 240sx

97-01 Grand Prix GTP

How ever much money I have by my birthday will determine which car i will get
    you're being really optimistic for only having $905

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I got a little shafted on my first car. I got a 2000 Ford Focus. Handled well, but cornering isn't my favorite pastime ever, and the Ford guys were pretty uninterested in doing warrantee work on it. So like AMC dude, I drove my Mom's New Beetle for a while after selling the Focus, and before I got my Mustang. New Beetle was okay, had decent pickup with the 1.8t engine (torquey little sucker, for its size), but alwasy felt really topheavy + extremely prone to understeern and plowing to me compared to the Focus as far as hendling went. Also having to turn off traction control bothered me. I'd like to just...not have it. Had some fun though pulling up the handbrake, droppin it into first, and just lfooring it. You could leave any lengh burnout you cared to.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

My first car was a Renault 5 1.7 GTX. I know own a Renault Clio 1.8 RSi.. I have it for 4 weeks now, and it's a very nice car!

The first car ever was, believe it or not a Ford Taunus build in 1977, I bouhgt it in 1979 with not the standard engine in it. The engine was tuned to a 150 hp. The car lasted for three months, 10.000 km and than was smashed agains a traffic light.

I really wan't ready for that kind of car. So I tried again with a Simca LX 1500 TI with a simular kind of HP and again, smashed it within 3 months against a mini cooper with no lights on. So I just sawe it right before it crashed into my headlights.

Again, trouble, also with the insurance, so the third car came. A Opel rekord build in 1972. It lasted for two years, than again it crashed. Insurance said I was wrong, but I still doubt that.

The next car came, a Peugot 504 this one lasted for a year, than I changed to a Mazda 818 stationwagon. That was crashed ( again, yes again ) under a army truck. Just not my fault, but really a accident. It was snowing, in Germany, he came hedading ot me and I really went to the right to let him pass, and i bumped into that piece of ice so with nothing to grap on we carambowled under the truck.

Again a new car. A VW Scirocco GT, nice and fast car. I didn't liked it anymore that I always had trouble, so I did a all risk insurance, very expensive, but what the heck. I drove the Scirocco for three years and sold it ( complete and with noi damage ) and bought myself a Saab 99 2 liter. This one I didn't crash, but I crashed two engines of it. So there was another car, a corsa 1,2, my girlfriend liked it, it went, and I bought a VW golf, it went and I bought a Honda Accord, it went and we bought a renault 11. It went and we bought a Opel Kadett 1.6i. And then we split up, dhe took the car, and I only had my bike. After a while I bought a VW Golf again. Sold it, and got a Peugot Partner as lease car. Then I got the Renault Clio 1.9 DTi MTV. Great car, even when it was small. But it did ride like hell. Then I went to another comapny and I got a Opel Zafira Elegance. 7 seats in it, and we don't have kids. But nice to go camp with it. Loads of space. Then I went to another comapny and didn't got a car. So then I bought the Opel Calibra. Great car and fast. But after a while I thought it would be a shame when I smashed it into the fence. So, I bought also the Beemer, and for just work/home traffic, I had again a Opel Corsa.

Well, those are the rides I had and still have.

Greetz from Robert aka Bad Dragon
    The Nordschleife, Heaven on Earth, ride like Hell with the Ring Dragon ( BMW 320i tuned )
    and
    Tuning, fun for the boys with the Street Dragon ( Opel Calibra 2.0 16v tuned )

hi Robert, I loved the way you described many of the "events" in your car ownership as "IT crashed". Nice way to avoid driver responsibility At least with the later ones you ownded up and used "I" Wish I'd thought of that approach in those early years of me crashing cars - I coudl have blamed the cars all this time
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

First car was a 1970 Valiant VG Pacer,cornered like a drunken sailor,but had plenty of stick for a 16 yr old.The ad campaign was VG Pacer Family Racer,they ran at Bathurst and won their class.Sold mine for peanuts,now they are very rare and quite expensive.Power by a 245cu 6 hemi engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

No

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Prime example of bad parenting.

1st. Allowing people to drive at the age of 16 is completely nuts, most 18 year olds I know can't drive properly. I'm 18 myself and I am quite carefull because I KNOW my driving skills aren't super yet. 16 year olds are in the middele of puberty and thus completely irresponsible and ****ed up with hormones. Combine that with the shaky ass of a 993 and you get death, seriously.
    2.You really really underestimate a 993, I guarantee you can't handle it.
    3.You underestimate the cost of owning a car. You'll be working a LOT when you're 16 years old to finance a car like that, instead of studying like you should.
    4.Parents that give a car to their children are nuts. If it's a €1000 euro max. piece of shit I could care less, but giving 10k to a 16 year old to buy a car he/she can't handle ? And this has nothing to do with money, heck my parents could buy me a BMW 7 series if they wanted but they don't even finance my little Clio. It has to do with ethics and responsability.
    5.I really hope that in 3 years from now you'll wake up from your dream.
    6.There is no 6, for now...
    Not true.
    You should see my brother drive!!
    "My horse only has one horsepower!!!"
    "Dodge Viper, no strike backs!"

Carmaniac is just a name. I won't shoot you for sport.

Golf Gti

First car 1987 Golf GTi silver with the 80s thin red trim round the front grill. Original Pirelli 'P' alloys. Been hooked on hot hatches ever since

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    yes, and its my dad an mums fault the texas driving age is set at 16, shame on them

and for not handling it, ill prove you wrong, just watch
    No it's not their fault, nobody said that. Dumb argument.
    And nobody forces you to get your license at the age of 16.

I'm afraid you are not going to prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmaniac
    Not true.
    You should see my brother drive!!
    Care to explain why ?
    And what has your brother to do with it.

Thread Information