Thread: Aston Martin Vanquish S gearbox

Aston Martin Vanquish S gearbox

How does the Vanquish S gearbox compare with the 'standard' Vanquish? And is the gearbox really as bad as Jeremy Clarkson say it is? Anyone with personal experience?

The standard Vanquish's gear box was connected to a manual. The Vanquish s's is connected to an automatic like the DB9 I think
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by Gal_TT
    How does the Vanquish S gearbox compare with the 'standard' Vanquish? And is the gearbox really as bad as Jeremy Clarkson say it is? Anyone with personal experience?
    IIRC it is the same basic 'box, but the software has been upgraded.

I think the standard car also recieved the upgrades.

I don't think it is really as bad as some people make out, but it definately isn't great.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    The standard Vanquish's gear box was connected to a manual. The Vanquish s's is connected to an automatic like the DB9 I think
    ?

Gearbox connected to a manual/automatic?

Just "?"

The Vanquish is only available to a paddle-shift manual.

The DB9 is an auto.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    ?

Gearbox connected to a manual/automatic?

Just "?"

The Vanquish is only available to a paddle-shift manual.

The DB9 is an auto.
    sorri. I really don't know what i'm talking about. I heard that somewhere thought or read it
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

The vanquish's gear box is a big let down it seems. And ok have the paddle shift one, but why not offer a normal manual as well?
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

dont you know.. its "technology" and "technology" makes every thiong better. why use a clutch? why use a gear shift? why steer? anythin that gives us less to do in the car amkes us unjoy the driving experience more, right?

(sarcam)
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Naaah, more controle on your car means more fun, if a computer inside your car does everything for you, than where's the fun

An automatic gearbox with f1-paddles gives you the ultimate sportfeeling, but driving in a normal automatic is very comfortable especialy in slow moving traffic ( traffic jams, rush houre, ... ) but when it realy comes about DRIVING and not tranporting yourself from point A to point B, an F1 gearbox would be perfect, not? In F1 they don't drive with full automatic, it's just the change of gears that happens automatic, the drivers decide when to shift up or down, that's better.

And come on, if you want to side inside a car, doing nothing but feeling it drive, you should better get yourself a ticket on a rollercoaster. And i think that every car enthousiast will agree that less controle on the car by yourself, is less fun!
    (which doesn't means that less controle is less comfort, but in real car sport, the car isn't associated with comfort at all! )

Who disagrees... prove my wrong!

From the spy pics ive seen, the AMV8 should be a manual. Well atleast the development car had a gearstick .. although that could just mean theyve used something like an XKR as a donor car. The AMV8 has a shorter wheel base than the DB9 hasnt it?

AMV8 is a completely new platform.

There is a manual 'box for the DB9 which is almost certainly the same for the AMV8.
    I think its a transaxle though (can't be bothered to check) so wouldn't fit in the Vanquish.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    AMV8 is a completely new platform.

There is a manual 'box for the DB9 which is almost certainly the same for the AMV8.
    So a manual is available on the DB9 after all??
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

It will be. I'm not sure when it is being introduced.
    Thanks for all the fish

The Vanquish and the S version have the same basic 'box. It is a paddle shift manual.

The S has had 1st lengthened, and 2nd, 3rd and the diff ratio shortened.

The AMV8 will first come as a manual, with the paddles due about 12 months later.

The DB9 is a auto with a paddle control (as soon as you use the paddles it wont revert to auto mode till you press the Drive button again). There will be a manual comming sometime soon (mid year).

The complaints about the paddle controled manual 'boxes at takeoff relate to the computer not having infinite control over the cluch take-up. They can only set the take-up at increments (0,15,35% etc) so they can be a little jerky and the early versions had trouble in slippery hill starts and the like. This has been pretty much fixed.

sorry no imformation from me!i dont really know about gearboxes!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Imaj
    sorry no imformation from me!i dont really know about gearboxes!
    then dont post
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information