Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brad Reviews A Bunch Of Albums For No Apparent Reason...

Brad Reviews A Bunch Of Albums For No Apparent Reason...

Don't say I didn't warn you........

Anyway, I got bored, so I decided to review of a bunch of albums I've purchased in the year, starting with my most recent, Pink Floyd's 'Is There Anybody Out There?'

Wow. Absolutely stunning. After hearing such wonders by the Pink as 'Animals' and 'Wish You Were Here,' I was beginning to lose interest in 'The Wall.' I reluctantly bought this album because someone recommended it to me, and I owe him big. Don't buy 'The Wall.' Buy this. This is Pink Floyd gone Led Zeppelin-their live renditions of 'In The Flesh (?),' 'Young Lust,' and 'What Shall We Do Now?' are really things to behold. I got the remastered edition, which comes complete with interviews from the band on the stage performance, and then on the behind the scenes crew about the animations, puppets, inflatable props and the wall.
    In order to properly understand this incredible last effort from the classic Pink Floyd, one must understand the premise of 'the Wall' and how the show was performed. Roger Waters described poor human nature in how people wall themselves in from the hurtful outside world by stacking up bad memories. It seems to backfire after a while and the menacing evil memories would eventually drive the person mad. The premise in the show follows that, as Side 1, from the introduction to intermission, is about the growing up of the charachter, who is supposed to be named 'Pink Floyd,' but as we really know is Roger Waters, and how he just stacks up his bad memories around him and it benfits him. During the performance, backstage men would work with hydralic lifters to assemble a 30 foot tall wall of cardboard boxes. Once the intermission came along, the wall was complete, and for about %90 of Side 2, the band performed from behind it. The only thing to keep the audience watching something were Gerald Scraffe's satiracal cartoons, dramatic sequences, and David Gilmour belting out 'Comfortably Numb' from the top of the Wall.
    In conclusion, this is my favourite Pink Floyd album. GO BUY IT.

Supertramp
    'Crime Of The Century'

This is my all time favourite album. This is Supertramp at the height of their career, before fame struck them by storm and put the pressure on them for more records.
    Like 'Dark Side Of The Moon,' this album is about Syd Barrett. Well, at least Side 1. On the original LP album, Side 1 was the story of Syd Barrett (under the alias 'Jimmy Cream') and tracks 1-4. It was about his youth, coming of age, and eventually, insanity. Side two (tracks 5-8) was about a fictional charachter 'Rudy,' the quintessential supertramp. (note-by definition a supertramp is somebody who is very smart, but does not really use it, and is usually lazy. That's a pretty good description of the band, too).
    All of the writing on the album (save 'Hide In your Shell' and 'Dreamer') was done by uber-dark Rick Davies, who really shocases his drak genius on this album. Such sound effects such as cuckoo-clocks, trains and screaming children add to the overall aura of insanity, giving you incredible imagery of whats going on. The album also presents us (indirectly) with a question, a question that can be beared from the song 'Asylum;' Would you know if you were insane?
    Listen to the record. You won't be sorry. If you like Pink Floyd, you'll love this album.

Pink Floyd
    'Ummagumma'

I'm not in the mood. Come back to this later.

Chicago
    'Chicago Transit Authority'

Some people may be able to relate to Chicago's later albums, with sydicated Roman Numeral titles, like those seen in my avatar. However few may be able to associate with their premiere album, 'Chicago Transit Authority.'
    First off, the name. After getting a recording contract, 'The Big Thing' changed their name to 'Chicago Transit Authority,' and after being courticized for the long name and from threatened legal actions by Chicago mayor Daley, CTA changed their name to Chicago.
    Anyway...this album is incredible. The late Terry Kath get's his chance to shine as the greastest guitarist in the world, as seen clearly in such pieces as 'Liberation,' 'Poem 58,' and most importantly ,'Free Form Guitar.'
    The album opens with 'Introduction,' which is a long piece about CTA's introduction to the music industry.
    Track 2 is the full version of 'Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?' which includes the piano intro. I'd never been fond of the song, but hearing it with the piano intro is something else.
    3rd is 'Beginnings,' if you hadn't heard this great song, get a life.
    4th is 'Questions 67 & 68.' This is one of their masterpieces, including grand, impressive, godly guitar work and supreme horns. The instrumental is excellent too. Might I add that you get full effect of this song when rolling down the Kennedy Expswy in Chicago, staring at the huge mass of skyscrapers.
    Next is 'Listen,' one of the shorter songs on the the album. It's just good. I'll leave it at that.
    After that is 'Poem 58,' which is an excellent Hendrix-esque piece which takes full advantage of every instrument in the lineup.
    'Free Form Guitar' is just Kath, a Stratocaster, and Snowman amplifier messing around for 7 minutes. Puts Jimi Hendrix to shame.
    'South California Purples' follows, which is a typical Chicago (city, not band) style blues song.
    CTA's remake of 'I'm A Man' follows.
    Next is a combination of two songs-'Prologue, August 29, 1968' and 'Someday (August 29, 1968). The first is about 2 minutes of raw recordings from the riot that day at the Democratic Nat'l Convention in Chicago. (This is only the first political song by Chicago out of LOADS). Immeaditely following is 'Someday,' which is excellent, but at only 3 minutes the shortest track on the album (save 'Prologue,' which really isn't a song).
    Finally comes the masterpiece of the album, 'Liberation.' It was recorded live at a small gig in Chicago, and at 16 minutes is by far one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. The only word's are 'Ohhh, My beautiful,' but they are probably the most moving, beautiful lyrics in any song. It moves from a classic tune (which I'm sure you have heard before, but never knew where it came from), then moves into an 8 minute guitar solo with the band playing nonstop behind that, then into a movement focusing more on the keyboards, then it all stops for a few moments, and you hear Kath's guitar springing to life, in an erie, freaky way. The horns follow, and the whole thing turns into a mess of expiremental music. It all climaxes and then cuts off into (im my opinion) the most beautiful riff I've ever heard. Only the guitar starts, slowly the drums are introduced, the bass, keyboards and finally horns. Kath yells the lyrics, and then it returns to the beggining. A Bonham-style drums solo and climax and the song's over.
    In short, buy this album, 'Liberation' is worth all the money alone.
    Whew-that's a lot. I'll do more when I have time.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Can I review some of my albums?

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Can I review some of my albums?
    No. It is prohibited by international digital law.

*mumbles*bloodyinternationaldigitallawpoliticiansa ndmehhwaa*mumbles*

Lol, i thikn eggnog ment "yes".

I know

So are you gonna do some reviews then???

you shoulda bought the 2 disc set of THE WALL if you want some quality listening. maybe my most favoritest album ever. also, get Pink Floyd, Live at Pompeii, an awesome DVD that mixes awesome floyd music with trippy film sequences and interviews with the members of the band. also, you have to watch 'the wall' movie. some crazy ass trippy shit there. Ummagumma is one of my least favorite Pink FLoyd albums, which means it kicks most other albums asses.

but the wall is an unbeleivably great album. i listen to the entire thing, both discs almost every day.

AND NOW!!! I Shall review some of my other Pink Floyd Albums (yes, this will be an extremely long post)

Meddle:
    Starts out with "One of these days" which is a nice slow beginning which builds up to some nice guitar. this moves it on to "A Pillow of Winds" which is a kinda 'dreamy' trippy slow song. "Fearless" is next and is just a good song. plain and simple. slow classic sounding guitar. "San Tropez" is next and is kinda a fun song which is hard to explain. "Seamus" is the weakest song in the album, but still nice. the album concludes with one of my favorite songs, "Echoes". A 23 and a half minute long sequence of trippy sounds, great music, awesome guitar solos, and some very strange but intrriging lyrics.

now that ive started playing echoes i cant bring myself to turn it off and move on to the next album so ill be back in 20 to write my next one. god i love pink floyd. fav band ever.

didnt turn out THAT long cuz now im listening to echoes. ill be back
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Smashing Pumpkins: Gish.

One of the first albums by the Smashing Pumpkins.

It has a mixture of soft rock and hard heavy metal, sometimes songs mixing both, such as Rhinocerous. It starts off with I am one, a quite heavy, metal song, with a great beat and some fantastic guitaring. Also worth mentioning in my opinion is the drumming in that song. Next is Siva, another heavy metal song, but a fair bit faster than I am one. Then Rhinocerous, my personal favourite, with an easy going relaxed beat and great vocals, then with some metal coming in the end.
    Crush is like Rhinocerous, again with a nice easy going beat. Perfect sunday afternoon song if you ask me.
    Snail seems to have a bit of Lou Reed thing going with the Instrumental if you ask me, which can't be a bad thing.

Overall one of my favourite albums, and if you ask me one of the best the Smashing Pumpkins ever made.

I guess I'll contribute my two cents on 'Meddle...'

Take the time to listen to this piece if the cover has got you confused.
    This is what is often considered to be the first true Pink Floyd album, such albums like Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother were just Pink Floyd developing. Dave Gilmour's second favourite album (first was Wish You Were Here), along with the 25 minute flagship song 'Echoes' being Gilmour's all time favourite piece. The album rips open with 'One Of These Days,' a lenghty instrumental topped out by Nick Mason's message to the band's faulty, failing equipment. 'One of these days I'm going to cut you into pieces!' The following tracksare all almost perfectly exectued, except it's kind of weird to hear the dog 'Seamus' singing! Once you've digested the those tracks, it's time for 'Echoes.' This is probably one of the greates Floyd pieces of all time. It's starts out slow, with what Gilmour described as 'this perfect chord, that jsut kind of developed from there' and then the band built the piece around that. It is nothing short of perfect. The lyrics to 'Echoes' are undoubtedly some of (if not the) best lyrics of all time.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
    And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
    The echo of a distant tide
    Comes willowing across the sand
    And everything is green and submarine
    And no one showed us to the land
    And no one knows the wheres or whys
    But something stares and
    Something tries
    And starts to climb towards the light

Strangers passing in the street
    By chance two separate glances meet
    And I am you and what I see is me
    And do I take you by the hand
    And lead you through the land
    And help me understand the best I can
    And no one calls us to the land
    And no one crosses there alive
    And no one speaks
    And no one tries
    And no one flies around the sun

And now this is the day you fall
    Upon my waking eyes
    Inviting and inciting me to rise
    And through the window in the wall
    Comes streamin in on sunlight wings
    A million bright ambassadors of morning
    And no one sings me lullabies
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide

The song progresses into Gilmours first big guitar solo, which seems to have jumped from straight off the 'Chicago Transit Authority' album. It then continues into a series of weird squeals, sounds that could scare small children. Hell, I don't listen to it at night because it creeps me out! But it eventually blasts back into the song, and eventually fades out to masses of people ominously yawning the same note.

Incredible.

*Note* If for some retarded reason, you decide to buy the 'Best Of' album, 'Echoes,' instead of individual albums, make sure you also buy 'Meddle.' In the 'Echoes' best of album, the editors snipped off 8 minutes of 'Echoes,' which kind of butchers it.
    Last edited by Esperante; 01-15-2005 at 08:51 PM. Reason: yo momma
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

yea, echoes cannot be understated. it is brilliant and yes the lyrics are awesome. i think that everyone who sees them perform it in "Live in Pompeii" will have a much greater love for the song. simply awesome.

im listening to it as we speak actually, great beat, not sure about the sounds in the begginning, that freask you out esperante? man you must be a pretty skittish person
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

NONONO, not the beeping at the begginning, wait til you get to about the 10 minute mark, form there til about the 14.30 mark its pretty creepy. i dont listen to it when im goin to sleep like i do other pink floyd songs either, freaky.

ok, yeah i just hit that part, i had to go to the next song, its freaky!!! it sounds likea dying fox, which is not a pleasant sound
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

no go back, skip ahead til the end of that part if you must. the part after that is almost as good as the beginning.

Thread Information