Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 143

Thread: Important: User Reputation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg
    Posts
    9,656

    Important: User Reputation

    Included in the new forum software package was a system to rate posts positively or negatively. Each post rating is reflected by adding or deducting a number of points to or from the poster's tally. More than anything this is intended to get the quality of the posts up.
    We have been running this system for a week now and have now set definitive numbers for the various variables.
    These variables control who can rate and how many points they can rate with.

    Minimum post count to rate: 100
    Minimum reputation to rate: 25
    Reputation power:
    Default reputation power: 1
    For every 5000 posts: 1
    For every 100 reputation points: 1
    For every membership year: 1

    So in my case with around 220 posts, 41 reputation and less than a year memebership, every rating I do would add remove 1 point.

    It's also important to note that you can only rate 20 times per day and that you have to rate 20 other members' posts to rate the same user's posts again.

    Remember: you are rating posts not members! We want to increase the quality of the forums and not start a popularity contest.

    Thank you for your time and enjoy your forum vistits,
    Wouter Melissen
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 06-12-2004 at 12:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    auckland, new zealand
    Posts
    562
    Most people actually rate members rather than posts. Just thought I'd let you know.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Minimum post count to rate: 50
    Minimum reputation to rate: 20
    Reputation power:
    Default reputation power: 1
    For every 1000 posts: 1
    For every 100 reputation points: 1
    For every membership year: 1
    I just thought I'd say that I'm really happy with this system. It seems pretty well thought-out, and should work quite a bit better than our system so far...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    It's also important to note that you can only rate 20 times per day and that you have to rate 20 other members' posts to rate the same user's posts again.

    Remember: you are rating posts not members! We want to increase the quality of the forums and not start a popularity contest.

    Thank you for your time and enjoy your forum vistits,
    Wouter Melissen
    I am not totally convinced yet.
    I would like to point out that the first para and the second are contradictory. If one member does two posts that I like, do I have to wait for 20 other posts before I can express my appreciation?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    238
    I bet I am the only one with a negative rep!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ???????????
    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorer1
    I bet I am the only one with a negative rep!
    i gess so lol
    how r we suposed to make it go up and i just saw i guy who just signed in and he has only 2 post and has double of my rep and i have a bout 800 post WTH is that

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    I have two qualms with the system, and this is what I'd do to fix them:

    • Make an increment of 1 the minimum, so any user can rate people
    • Get rid of the "spread more reputation around" thing


    If you think about it, the whole "spread more reputation around" thing goes against the whole principle of the system. If people can't rate the users who they actually beleive to be making good posts without forcing themselves to go and find half-decent posts by others, then what use is it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I have two qualms with the system, and this is what I'd do to fix them:

    • Make an increment of 1 the minimum, so any user can rate people
    • Get rid of the "spread more reputation around" thing


    If you think about it, the whole "spread more reputation around" thing goes against the whole principle of the system. If people can't rate the users who they actually beleive to be making good posts without forcing themselves to go and find half-decent posts by others, then what use is it?
    This is what I posted earlier


    "I would like to point out that the first para and the second are contradictory. If one member does two posts that I like, do I have to wait for 20 other posts before I can express my appreciation?"

    so I am with you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40
    I would expect my reptuation to be blow zero begofe long
    40 OZ. to freedom.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorer1
    I bet I am the only one with a negative rep!
    Some guy has negative 3
    40 OZ. to freedom.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    close to home
    Posts
    29
    I fail to see any reason to quantify someone's 'reputation'.
    You guys are kidding yourself if you think that ANY form of quality control can be applied to a person's opinions.
    Who has the right anyway?
    Is it THAT important that you apply a 'system' to this site that seeks to distinguish between individual's opinions, let alone infringe upon their rights of free speech.
    Are you trying to say something?
    Come out and say it, are you afraid of being flamed?
    Please explain your reasons (if you can be bothered) for such a system, I would appreciate the thought processes that go towards such a concept.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to impugn the idea, I'm only concerned about it's worthiness.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg
    Posts
    9,656
    Since this system was implemented the number of posts consisting of just 'lol' or a smilie have all but completely disapeared. These are the type of threads that need to be rated negatively, just like derogatory and deflamatory remarks. Not agreeing with someone is not a reason to rate that particular post negatively.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    close to home
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Since this system was implemented the number of posts consisting of just 'lol' or a smilie have all but completely disapeared. These are the type of threads that need to be rated negatively, just like derogatory and deflamatory remarks. Not agreeing with someone is not a reason to rate that particular post negatively.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I'm sorry, but again I preface my question with 'what is the point?', and what's wrong with a 'laugh' or a 'smilie'.
    I can see that some people have an extraordinary number of posts, do you you seek to reduce the number of posts and if so, is this in an effort to reduce someone's workload?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    B.C Canada
    Posts
    391
    Should we rate negatively for poor grammar and therefore improve user's english as well as the quality of their posts? The question is how far do we rate posts?
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    B.C Canada
    Posts
    391
    How is it that people who joined 1 day ago and are yet to post have 10 reputation? where I've been here since October and tried to give positive input and useful posts and have the same Reputation? Doesn't strike me as fair.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •