Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A strange quiz, part deux.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A strange quiz, part deux.

For those of you that don't know. Some time ago I made the thread a strange quiz to test member's knowledege on things outside of the cars. It was pretty popular and a lot of fun so I've decided to bring it back. The main questions involved rocks and minerals but there was some other stuff in there too. Now I gotta think of some questions... Hmmmm. Okay, try these:

1. What is the world's fastest moving tectonic plate?
    2. How big was the biggest diamond ever found in a mine.

That should be enough for now. Have fun! And if I see it's to hard, I'll give you guys a hint.
    Last edited by carlover; 01-19-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlover
    For those of you that don't know. Some time ago I made the thread a strange quiz to test member's knowledege on things outside of the cars. It was pretty popular and a lot of fun so I've decided to bring it back. The main questions involved rocks and minerals but there was some other stuff in there too. Now I gotta think of some questions... Hmmmm. Okay, try these:

1. What is the world's fastest moving tectonic plate?
    2. How big was the biggest diamond ever found in a mine.

That should be enough for now. Have fun! And if I see it's to hard, I'll give you guys a hint.
    70 karats
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    70 karats
    No, not even close.

Pacific plate?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Pacific plate?
    Yes! That one went fast. After the diamond one has been completed I'll post the next set of questions.

3,106 karats for the diamond?
    and I stick to my Pacific Plate answer. I remember learning that 2 years ago.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Yes! Wow, you got both answers Rocke! And in a record amount of time! Nice Job!

Blimey, thats was fast, didn't have a clue myself
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

I dont know the name of it but I know the speed and general location.
    eat cicada

1. Oceanic Plates
    2.273.85 karats
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    1. Oceanic Plates
    2.273.85 karats
    Which one?
    Do you mean 227,385 or 2.27385? Both of those are wrong. (Sorry if I messed you guys up but I meant weight in carots. Ie: It weighs 37,589,205,782,390 carrots[Not the real answer ].)

Doing some cheating... ermm... I mean... searching...

I found this:

(I do know this doesn't count as the right answer, just something that might be of interest to some of you guys)

""""LOS ANGELES (AP) -- If anyone's ever promised you the sun, the moon and the stars, tell 'em you'll settle for BPM 37093.

The heart of that burned-out star with the no-nonsense name is a sparkling diamond that weighs a staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.

The hunk of celestial bling is an estimated 2,500 miles across, said Travis Metcalfe, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"You would need a jeweler's loupe the size of the sun to grade this diamond," said Metcalfe, who led the team that discovered the gem.

The diamond is a massive chunk of crystallized carbon that lies about 300 trillion miles from Earth, in the constellation Centaurus.

The galaxy's largest diamond is formally known as a white dwarf, or the hot core of a dead sun.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that white dwarfs crystallized, but only recently were able to verify the hypothesis.

A paper detailing the discovery has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters for publication. """"

Anybody feel like building the UltimateCarPage.Com Super Spaceship?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Doing some cheating... ermm... I mean... searching...

I found this:

(I do know this doesn't count as the right answer, just something that might be of interest to some of you guys)

""""LOS ANGELES (AP) -- If anyone's ever promised you the sun, the moon and the stars, tell 'em you'll settle for BPM 37093.

The heart of that burned-out star with the no-nonsense name is a sparkling diamond that weighs a staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.

The hunk of celestial bling is an estimated 2,500 miles across, said Travis Metcalfe, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"You would need a jeweler's loupe the size of the sun to grade this diamond," said Metcalfe, who led the team that discovered the gem.

The diamond is a massive chunk of crystallized carbon that lies about 300 trillion miles from Earth, in the constellation Centaurus.

The galaxy's largest diamond is formally known as a white dwarf, or the hot core of a dead sun.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that white dwarfs crystallized, but only recently were able to verify the hypothesis.

A paper detailing the discovery has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters for publication. """"

Anybody feel like building the UltimateCarPage.Com Super Spaceship?
    Wow, imagine actually building a UCP spaceship that would, w/ some super-imaginative tow-system, lug the diamond to the moon where we'd turn it into 1,000,000 diamonds valued at thousands of karats. We'd be billionares for sure.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Time for some math: Pacific plate moves at 8.1 cm a year, so we'll have to convert it to miles per hour. 2.54 cm are in an inch, so we'd have to divide 8.1 by 2.54 and get 3.18897...inches. (in my calculator) Since there are 5,280 inches in a mile, the 3.188.... would have to be divided by 5,280 to be converted in to miles so we get the miniscule figure of 0.00060.... (very small) Now, that is 0.0006... miles a year, so we have to divide this number by how many hours are in a year (hrs in a year = 24 x 365.25=8766 hours in a year). Now, our number 0.0006.. has to be divided by 8766 to get our final figure of about 0.000000069 mph or approximately 6.9 x 10 -8. All that done w/ my trusty calculator and memory. Is that right?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Time for some math: Pacific plate moves at 8.1 cm a year, so we'll have to convert it to miles per hour. 2.54 cm are in an inch, so we'd have to divide 8.1 by 2.54 and get 3.18897...inches. (in my calculator) Since there are 5,280 inches in a mile, the 3.188.... would have to be divided by 5,280 to be converted in to miles so we get the miniscule figure of 0.00060.... (very small) Now, that is 0.0006... miles a year, so we have to divide this number by how many hours are in a year (hrs in a year = 24 x 365.25=8766 hours in a year). Now, our number 0.0006.. has to be divided by 8766 to get our final figure of about 0.000000069 mph or approximately 6.9 x 10 -8. All that done w/ my trusty calculator and memory. Is that right?
    Well according to my popular science magazine no, and I think they would know. But very close. Since the only way anyone will figure out this is when they know how many inches a year the plate moves I'll just give it to you and let the better (quicker) person at math win. 4 inches per year is how fast the plate moves. Now math away!

Thread Information