Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 Technology Overrated?

F1 Technology Overrated?

You hear about all of these production cars having "F1 technology" incorporated into the design, but is F1 technology really that special? F1 technology shaped the not-so-pretty Enzo, but was it worth it? Or is it gimmick...

There is better technology to be had. The Enzo has a gimmick design. "What" do you think.

Formula 1 manufacturers such as Toyota, Ferrari, Honda, McLaren-Mercedes and BMW all claim that they incorporate "Formula 1 technology" into their roadcars. I believe that this is very much a gimmick to attract ignorant potential buyers. The technology used in formula 1 itself is absolutely amazing and is by far the pinnacle of automotive technology, BUT obviously this doesn't immediately translate a roadcar into the "ultimate roadcar" by claiming that F1 technology was used in its design.

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    ...The technology used in formula 1 itself is absolutely amazing and is by far the pinnacle of automotive technology...
    That's where we differ. I do not believe that Formula technology is the pinnacle of automotive technology. Formula 1 technology is LIMITED to keep races competitive. There are no limits with production cars. Eventually, I believe that production car technology should SURPASS F1 technology. And I'm not saying that production cars should be able to out-race F1 cars...(or am I?). Everything in F1 is limited. Aerodynamics, horsepower, weight...EVERYTHING. More efficient designs exist. The Enzo was designed off of a limited technology.

Of course formula 1 cars are limited. Without restriction, speeds would be outrageously dangerous and it wouldn't be competitive because the team with the biggest budget would always win. You see, the reason why I believe it STILL IS the pinnacle of automotive technology is that the teams are able to work WITHIN a certain set of regulations and produce the fastest car possible while still adhering to the rules. They must find the delicate balance between power, weight, strength and endurance to produce a winning car. They exploit every trick in the trade to do this and use every last resource available to them. Of course, this makes F1 very expensive, but the net result is an interesting, highly advanced and fair racing series.
    Also, roadcars DO have regulations. Not explicitly stated by the law per se, but manufacturers must keep their cars profitable. In order to do this, they're not going to produce the fastest, most advanced car possible because this would be absurdly expensive. They want to produce good quality cars which are efficient, not necessarily with space-technology.

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    the team with the biggest budget would always win.
    So... whats the diference from what is hapennig currently in F1 ???
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

because toyota had the biggest budget. look where it got them
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

i think alot of this "F1 Technology" is in the shifting. i know the scaglietti has a 'F1a' transmission which, from what i've read is just like a regular clutchless robitic shifter with the paddles everyone is crazy about.
    Last edited by targa; 01-20-2005 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    i think alot of this "F1 Technology" is in the shifting. i know the Scagleiti(sp?) has a 'F1a' transmission which, from what i've read is just like a regular clutchless robitic shifter with the paddles everyone is crazy about.
    scaglietti
    f1 technology is not only about shifting, its about materials you're using, brakes, suspenion and many more

Quote Originally Posted by What
    Eventually, I believe that production car technology should SURPASS F1 technology.
    Pfft....like F1 would ever become a technological dinosaur to road cars.
    I am the Stig

What are you all on?

A "gimmick"?
    "Claim to incorperate it to fool ignorant buyers"?

Where do you thing traction control comes from?
    Why do you think things like fuel injection were developed?
    Disc brakes came from racing, and carbon ceramic brakes are becoming more mainstream - they aren't a gimmick - they stop you more quickly, which is what you want in any car.
    What about all the aerodynamic knowledge? The same theory and knowledge that sculpted the Enzo's ugly hide is also used to make sure your small family hatch gets efficiency when cruising on the highway, but is also stable at that speed.

Look at any part of any modern car and you will find that the significant majority of the components will have been shaped by motorsport in some priod of their history, a lot of it from F1.

Of course the technology from the Toyota TF104 isn't going to be in the 2005 Corrolla, but there will probably be some of the information and technoology from the TF104 in the 2015 Corrola in some shape or form.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    What are you all on?

A "gimmick"?

Disc brakes came from racing, and carbon ceramic brakes are becoming more mainstream - they aren't a gimmick - they stop you more quickly, which is what you want in any car.
    What about all the aerodynamic knowledge? The same theory and knowledge that sculpted the Enzo's ugly hide is also used to make sure your small family hatch gets efficiency when cruising on the highway, but is also stable at that speed.

Look at any part of any modern car and you will find that the significant majority of the components will have been shaped by motorsport in some priod of their history, a lot of it from F1.

Of course the technology from the Toyota TF104 isn't going to be in the 2005 Corrolla, but there will probably be some of the information and technoology from the TF104 in the 2015 Corrola in some shape or form.
    Thanks for posting this, I would've had to do it if you didn't.

Got to make myself useful I suppose...
    Thanks for all the fish

yea cars like the enzo are not going to have half the quality components used in f1 cars , if it did then it would cost just as much as a f1 car and defeat the object in making a sutibly cheap roadster/sports car , you might as well go get yourself an f1 car for that money and you would have tentimes better handeling and speed

f1 technoology has to be refined and made simpler to engineer and fit, otherwise the manufacturing costs would be way too high!
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by What
    That's where we differ. I do not believe that Formula technology is the pinnacle of automotive technology. Formula 1 technology is LIMITED to keep races competitive. There are no limits with production cars.
    Haha .. thats the funniest thing ive ever heard. There are far more regulations in Roadcars than F1. Road cars have to protect passengers and be capable of protecting children. They also have to protect pedestrians and obide to emmision regulations. Road cars cant have sharp edges .. they cant use loads of electronics because there are already so many wires in road cars for indicators and stuff. F1 cars are by no means regulated apart from in-race things. I would make easy bets that no road legal car will ever beat the current F1 cars in a straight line or around corners .. ever. Regulations are getting tighter and tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    What are you all on?

A "gimmick"?

I didn't say that the technology used in "F1" didn't work, I said that it isn't THE BEST. There are better things out there that aren't allowed on race cars.

EXAMPLE:
    Production supercars no-a-days boast that they have a "flat panel underbody", just like in F1. Well...a flat underbody isn't the best design for maximum suction. But they won't let you know that, but they WILL let you know that F1 cars have flat underbodies too. I think paddle shifting is overrated also. Continuous transmissions have much more potential.

The McLaren F1 used a fan underneath it to help improve downforce. That's creative. Flat is so gimmicky.

Thread Information