Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F1 Technology Overrated?

ok, saying production cars are unlimited, is not right. if they were, we would have broken 250+ mph a while ago. they have to pass crash regulations, sight regulations (how well the driver can see), and then there are things like the track racers. the comp coupe viper, the clk gtr/clk dtm, the c5r/6r, all amazingly fast cars, but illegal on normal roads. they are limited.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by What
    I think paddle shifting is overrated also. Continuous transmissions have much more potential.
    Williams a couple of years ago tried to use a CVT on their cars, but after the first tests basically it was ruled illegal
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    ok, saying production cars are unlimited, is not right.
    You're taking that too literally. In a production car, for ever "limit" that is set, there is a way around it...unlike F1 racing regs. For example, you can use ANY size engine you please in a production car, you can't in F1. You can use any transmission in production cars, almost any shape, and any weight.

I didn't say that the technology used in "F1" didn't work, I said that it isn't THE BEST. There are better things out there that aren't allowed on race cars.

EXAMPLE:
    Production supercars no-a-days boast that they have a "flat panel underbody", just like in F1.
    *now-a-days*

the only supercar i know of that has a flat underbody is the saleen s7, Saleen, the man, was gloating in an interview about how his was the only car in production with a smoothe underbody

and i think F1 cars have a channeled underbody, its like the most technically advanced racing in the world, i think they would use the best technonogy

For example, you can use ANY size engine you please in a production car
    not so, the engine in the noble M12 cant be used in a production model, thats why it is sold as a kit car, it can be liscensed accordingly
    Last edited by targa; 01-20-2005 at 05:53 PM.
    pondering things

then be more specific. not my fault you didnt type exactly what you meant. so, according to what you did say, your wrong. type your full thought next time.

You're taking that too literally. In a production car, for ever "limit" that is set, there is a way around it...unlike F1 racing regs. For example, you can use ANY size engine you please in a production car, you can't in F1. You can use any transmission in production cars, almost any shape, and any weight.
    There's ways around things in F1 too remember. The 2005 rules were aimed at restricting downforce by 25%, but do you really think that that will be the end result? By the end of the year, teams may only be down 10% compared to last year, with the tyre rules being the main thing slowing them down
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    Saleen, the man, was gloating in an interview about how his was the only car in production with a smoothe underbody
    Note that was a quote from Saleen, what did you expect him to say ?
    My latest acquisution, the Quantum is flat underbody - it's 8 years old !
    Mates Stryker is flat underbody - as is every other Lotus 7 copy in the world
    The Alpine A610 - a 1992 car - has bolt on panels to provide a flat underbody.
    Ultima - flat
    Radical - flat or tunnelled if you opt for the race trays

It's best not to trust a company director, a salesman or a president/prime minister. They all twist the real truth to their benefit. Saleen's talking UP his product, can't blame him really.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That's where we differ. I do not believe that Formula technology is the pinnacle of automotive technology. Formula 1 technology is LIMITED to keep races competitive. There are no limits with production cars. Eventually, I believe that production car technology should SURPASS F1 technology. And I'm not saying that production cars should be able to out-race F1 cars...(or am I?). Everything in F1 is limited. Aerodynamics, horsepower, weight...EVERYTHING. More efficient designs exist. The Enzo was designed off of a limited technology.
    ... yes there are, they're called laws

and production cars will never surpass racing technology, if it ever did no one would watch racing, its just one of those things

355 had flat underbody .. sortof, just the bit at the rear wasnt

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    and production cars will never surpass racing technology, if it ever did no one would watch racing, its just one of those things
    another good point. "what", your wrong, no way in hell are normal production cars are more hi tech. look at an f1 car. you call that limited technology?!?! le mans lmp racers are about as close to a production-like race car, and they were capable of 230+ mph in the early 1970's! not even track legal! and the f1's are even lighter, and about as fast.
    also, what, i can disprove everything youve said about production cars being hi-er tech then racing cars, with a single sentence.
    If production cars are hi-er tech, then why do most production car technologies for practically all sport type cars come from race car technology?
    if you are right, you should be able to answer that. if you cant, then you are wrong. fool.

the only supercar i know of that has a flat underbody is the saleen s7, Saleen, the man, was gloating in an interview about how his was the only car in production with a smoothe underbody
    That's wrong. Many cars, including the recently introduced Ferrari F430 have a flat underbody that was "F1" inspired.

and i think F1 cars have a channeled underbody, its like the most technically advanced racing in the world, i think they would use the best technonogy
    No, F1 cars have a completely flat underbody. No channeling.

not so, the engine in the noble M12 cant be used in a production model, thats why it is sold as a kit car, it can be liscensed accordingly
    I said that production cars can have any engine SIZE. The Noble's engine is relatively small; only 3 liters. If it couldn't be licensed because of the engine, I promise that it has nothing to do with the engine size.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    what, i can disprove everything youve said about production cars being hi-er tech then racing cars, with a single sentence.
    If production cars are hi-er tech, then why do most production car technologies for practically all sport type cars come from race car technology?
    if you are right, you should be able to answer that. if you cant, then you are wrong. fool.
    Have you read anything that I've written? I didn't say that production cars are technologically more advanced than F1 cars, did I? What I did say was that the so-called "advanced" technology used in today's supercars that manufactures boast about because it was "borrowed" from F1 is overrated. What were you reading? Production cars should possess technology that exceeds F1 cars because there are no limits in the creativeness and ideas that can be used in production cars. Why did Ferrari use a flat underbody for the F430 instead of a channeled underbody? The channeled underbody would offer more suction, thus increasing down force. But the channeled underbody isn't an "F1" product, is it. Saying that my car has a "flat underbody" just like the F1 cars is a GIMMICK. There are better underbody designs, but they aren't allowed in F1 racing. I feel like we the people have been cheated out of the best design possible for marketing purposes. Do you?

And I'm not saying that a production car should out-perform F1 cars just because I say production cars should be more technologically advanced. For example, I believe that production cars have a more advanced braking system than F1 cars because production cars are allowed to use ABS, but production cars don't brake as well as F1 cars.

Bottom line:
    I feel like shouting out to the world that your car has F1 technology incorporated into the design is more of a marketing ploy than an assurance of top-of-the-line performance technology.

F1 technology is a performance limited technology set in place to keep the sport competitive. Production cars are limited only to insure the safety of drivers and enviroment; rules aren't created for production cars to keep each car company's performance close and competitive. As for as I know, there isn't a horsepower cap on production cars.

you just said something stupid anyway. production cars ARE LIMITED!!!!!!!!

That's wrong. Many cars, including the recently introduced Ferrari F430 have a flat underbody that was "F1" inspired.
    well, not quite, most of the underbody is channeled on the F430, only like a 2 foot section in the middle isn't.

I said that production cars can have any engine SIZE.
    i missed that, sorry
    pondering things

one thing tho. just because you have a bigger engine, does not really mean anything. look at the lotus elise. not even 200 horsepower, yet its quite fast. why? not much to move around.
    also, about where "what" said something about race tech and production car tech, cant find by quickly skimming, and im at school. if i remember later ill try to find it.

Thread Information