• 05 Impreza WRX STI

13 36.11%
  • Other (S15, Type R, Supra, etc.)

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 99+' RX-7 or 05 WRX STi

99+' RX-7 or 05 WRX STi

Hey All,

This is my first post, and ive been reading alot of the asian car forum so far and there are already a few comparisons threads with these 2 cars mentioned. However i need some help deciding which of the 2 i should buy, as im gonna buy a new car within the next few months. Ive alreadi been to quite a few specific forums on both the RX-7 and the STI and read about them specifically, but id like to know what you guys think aswell and get some technical discussion going as to why u prefer either one.

The versons ill be getting would be 99-02 FD3S directly imported 2nd hand from Japan, or WRX STi Australian version thats available locally (2.0 ltr engine). Cost for FD is estimated at 40k (AUD) to import and STI is 56k new, but after taxs and costs up to 62k, which is alottt more in price. The guys over in the sti forums really love their new STi's and im liking it alot too but the price is abit hefty. If i got the RX7 id probably end up spending abit on mods, whereas if i got the STI i probably would leave it stock, cept for maybe the exhaust.

Other cars ive considered are Integra Type R and Type S, S15 Silvia/200sx and 96 twin turbo Supra. But i like the RX-7 and WRX for their more unique engine types. Have a vote and tell me why you think one is better than the other. Sorry for the longass reply, hehe cheers guys.

well... last i heard ( i know they have mad improvements ) but dr wankels engine was still a little on the thirsty side and if not worse unreliable.

i base this knowledge off magazines. (CAR and MOTOR.)

personaly 05 STI would be your smartest choice because
    A) its brand new so it will be in a better condition.
    B) its not really cramped inside
    C) its got a great sterio (or so ive heard)
    D) its a subaru. ive only seen ONE subaru with its bonnet up. and that was in the northern teritory where many many cars (my friends dads spankers Xr8 even was over heating) die..
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

The STi would DEFINITELY be a lot more reliable than an imported FD. It would be pretty fast as well! Go for the STi...

What's your budget and how old are you?

Budget... depends on how much my dad is willing to lend me, ive been working full time now for 1 n a half years and have 33k saved up as of today. If i keep working for a month, then manage enough hours part time while at uni then i might be able to get another 5k this year, so if i do get RX-7 wont need to borrow much from my dad at all, but, if i went for the STi id probably have to borrow a shietload, and he would probably not like that. Im 21 in march, i deferred uni in August 2003 and started working fulltime coz i wanted a good first car. I been driving around in an old 88 mazda 626 since i started driving.

33k could get you a second hand 4th Gen. Integra Type-R on the spot. If I were you, I probably wouldn't go for the STi- it's probably a bit expensive. How about a "normal" WRX? They're relatively cheap and pretty fast as well.

Yeh the price of the STI is huge, and not to mention the insurance if theyll cover me at all. The thing with a normal wrx is id be inclined to mod and tune it an aweful lot, i mean theyre fast i guess, but not at all unique, the 04/05 STi looks pretty awesome, but so do the S15s and Type Rs. The current WRX's are ok, but dont appeal to me as much as the Current STI coz of the power/handling characteristics, but that can be fixed i guess. Also, normal rexs tend to be abit too common nowdays, dont wanna be another rex driving hoon on the road, lol. What other cars have you considered?

I'd go for the RX-7, very unique and rather rare here, and for the difference in price between that and the STi, you could get a Renesis from the RX-8 and get it turbocharged. Eventually. But whatever you go for, please refrain from whacking some huge can on the back and calling it a muffler. If you do mod the exhaust, do the whole system and go for a dual pipe. Much classier, doesn't sound so stupid, and you don't get sneered at. With no drawbacks in performance. Sounds better too.

Quote Originally Posted by staryknight
    Yeh the price of the STI is huge, and not to mention the insurance if theyll cover me at all.
    i checked my insurance company while i was at work today, they don't cover wrx drivers under 25

They wouldn't cover a driver for any of these kinds of cars under 25.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    They wouldn't cover a driver for any of these kinds of cars under 25.
    actually they cover the integra, rx-7, silvia, and even monaro's, for drivers under 25.

I'd take a S15 Silvia, personal preference, but they IMO just kick some much ass. They're really cheap in NZ, cause we got lots jap imported...

wow, they cover the rest, but not wrx, lol, thats definitely a consideration. Yah i always leaned towards the RX7 for price and the rotary engine is unique. I guess if i cant find a decent quote for STi insurance then, ill just have to cross it off the list. Im starting to like these forums coz of the amount of aussies that are active here, nice to have some people close to home to discuss things with.

yeah, but depending on its age/worth/whether its turbocharged etc the premium is pretty hefty, like up to $3000. i know its $1000 for a current model integra

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    yeah, but depending on its age/worth/whether its turbocharged etc the premium is pretty hefty, like up to $3000. i know its $1000 for a current model integra
    Is it the same for the baseline Integra and the Type S or R? Did you get an quote or something? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by staryknight
    Im starting to like these forums coz of the amount of aussies that are active here, nice to have some people close to home to discuss things with.
    Same. This forum's a great place.

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    Is it the same for the baseline Integra and the Type S or R? Did you get an quote or something? Thanks in advance.
    its $1000 for an '05 model integra type S, because i'm only 19. and thats with it under my mums name with me listed as the main driver. i assume similar with the base integra because there isn't that much difference in price, i'd guess roughly $800 for a base model

Thread Information