Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renault 5 1972-1996 (Projet 122/140)

Renault 5 1972-1996 (Projet 122/140)

Renault 5: Technical data

1981 Renault 5 TS engine

The baseline Renault 5 engine is modeled on the 4 CV's, albeit in a more powerful configuration with a new camshaft. Below we take look at the main technical characteristics.

Engine

All models: four-stroke engine, four in-line vertical cylinders, set to rear of left axle.
    Baseline model: crankshaft with three bearings. Other models:crankshaft with five bearings.
    Side-mounted chain-driven roller camshaft, in-line overhead valves (opposed overhead valves in the Alpine) operated by pushrods, rockers and tappets.
    Removable wet cylinder liners.
    Light alloy cylinder head.
    Pressurized lubrication by gear-type oil pump.
    Sealed circuit cooling system comprising pump, thermostat, radiator, expansion chamber with visible gauge, belt-driven fan (Renault 5) or intermittent heat-controlled fan (TL, GTL, Automatic, TS, Alpine).
    Manually operated choke carburettor.

Suspension

Baseline model, TL, GTL, Automatic and TS: 4 independent wheels, anti-roll bar, telescopic hydraulic dampers.
    LS 1975: 4 independent wheels, longitudinal torsion bars at front and lateral torsion bars at rear, telescopic hydraulic dampers. Anti-roll bars at front and rear.

Steering

Rack and pinion steering with no return.
    Renault 5 LS 1975: rack and pinion floating seal type, with no return.

Brakes

Renault 5: drum brakes on front and rear wheels with pressure drop gauge.
    The TL, GTL, Automatic, TS and Alpine models: Disk brakes on front wheels, drum brakes on rear wheels, brake liquid gauge on Nivocode instrument panel.
    The LS 1975 model: disk brakes on front wheels, drum brakes on rear wheels, hydraulically controlled servoassistance with load-sensitive rear wheels to prevent locking. The system also includes a pressure gauge with warning light on the instrument panel.

1979 Renault 5 TS interior Electrical equipment

Battery: 12 volts
    Alternator output: 35/40 Ah in Renault 5L and TL, 30/40 Ah in the GTL, 50 Ah in the LS and TS.
    Battery capacity: 140/28 Ah in Renault 5 L, TL and GTL and 180/36 Ah for the TS and LS 1975.

Tyres

135x13 on the Renault 5, Renault 5 TL, Renault 5 GTL, Renault 5 Automatic, LS 1975.
    145 SR 13 on the Renault 5 TS.
    155/70 SR 13 on the Renault 5 Alpine.

Capacity

Fuel tank capacity: 38 litres for all models except the Renault 5 LS 1975 (41 litres).

Clutch

Single dry disc clutch. Single-spring mechanism of diaphragm type. Hub disk. Torsion damper. Ball thrust bearing.

1981 Renault 5 Alpine Turbo Gearbox

- Manual: four (five on the Alpine) fully-synchronized speeds and reverse, operated by floor-mounted stick. Combined light alloy housing (cast iron in the LS 1975) for gearbox and differential-final drive unit.
    - Automatic: three forward and one reverse gears: epicyclic gear train, two-pinion stepdown, final drive and six-point gear selection control.

Weight

Renault 5 1979: 730 kg, 435 at front and 295 at rear.
    Renault 5 LS 1975: 770 kg, 460 at front and 310 at rear.
    Renault 5 TL 1979: 775 kg, 460 at front and 315 at rear.
    Renault 5 GTL 1979: 785 kg, 465 at front and 320 at rear.
    Renault 5 Automatic 1979: 810 kg, 495 at front and 315 at rear.
    Renault 5 TS 1979: 800 kg, 475 at front and 325 at rear.
    Renault 5 Alpine 1979: 850 kg, 495 at front and 355 at rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Renault 5: Queen of the City

It was in 1972 that the Renault 5 hit the small car market, dominated at the time by the Renault 4 and Citroën's 2 CV. It swiftly carved out a place for itself. More powerful and sexier-looking than its competitors, it asserted itself as "the" small car of the 1970s and 80s. Its high tech and high style were confirmed by high sales of over five million units.

The Renault 5, a new concept in cars

In the early 1970s, the automobile market was sharply segmented into only three classes of vehicle: big, small and medium-sized. Though all three were generally sturdy and reliable, only big cars could lay claim to comfort, elegance and power.
    In 1968 Renault CEO, Pierre Dreyfus, sensed the market was ripe for a new concept in small cars. He envisioned a vehicle which was as robust as the 2 CV and Renault 4, but more stylish and faster on the open road. The concept was dubbed "Project 122", and was to give birth to the Renault 5. Designers, graphic artists and engineers went to work.

They soon determined the basic blueprint: a stubby bonnet, two long side doors, a full-size tailgate down to the rear bumper, large windows, and rounded lines. The Renault 5 would revolutionize the market by marrying seemingly opposing features.

1971 Renault 5 TL Miracle recipe

Practical yet stylish, compact yet spacious, it was both good on the open road and streetwise in built-up areas. The Renault 5 was a car that reconciled opposites in a miracle recipe of many ingredients. Its body was built on a crushproof central structure. Its two long doors with embedded handles lent it sleekness. Its spacious boot boasted 270 dm3 of stowage space, which could be more than tripled to 900 dm3 when the back seats were folded down. All at an affordable price.

Its technological advances related mainly to engine power. Although more powerful with its new camshaft and/or greater capacity, the baseline Renault 5's powertrain was modeled on the Renault 4L's engine, in turn derived from the 4CV's. It also boasted new safety features. The front of the car collapsed on impact, so affording the central passenger cabin full protection.

1972 Renault 5 TL interior Modern interior

The Renault 5 was positioned as the antithesis of the bourgeois car. Its style was youthful and groovy. It had a stowage box instead of a glove compartment and rush-like compressed fiber roof padding instead of fake velour. The instrument panel housing dials and indicator lights was square. The vehicle's interior colours were vivid - greens, oranges and even bright red. Plastic was proud to be plastic and no longer sought to imitate leather.

Advertisement for the 1972
    Renault 5 Successful launch

The launch campaign targeted a range of motorists: buyers of affordable vehicles (the Renault 5 was a small car, after all), young people, city dwellers and women. To hit home, adverts depicted the Renault 5 as a cartoon character, "Supercar". Never before had a motor vehicle been likened to a person who talked and had smiling eyes. The cute and chummy Renault 5 wooed and won the public at large.

Instant commercial success

By 1972 the Renault 5 had already secured a 5% share of the French automobile market. Two years later in the wake of the first oil crisis which sent shockwaves through the global market, it clinched top spot with 11% of sales. Its low fuel consumption struck a chord with consumers. Already number two in Europe that year, it was number one by 1977. And when the four-door hatchback hit the market, the Renault 5 became the world's second most widely sold car.

Renault 5

Best-seller

Vital statistics

In 1972, Renault released a cute, compact hatchback playing on the twin qualities of practicality and fun.
    Release was heralded by a highly original advertising campaign featuring cartoons instead of photographs, to effectively drive home the underlying concept rather than merely boast actual product virtues.
    Virtues there were, and in abundance, since the Renault 5 combined city-smart features (like a compact footprint and wrap-around reinforced polyester bumpers) with good open-road capabilities (four independent wheels, suspension, etc.).

The Renault 5 very soon rose to become France's biggest selling car, making nonsense of previous claims that a three-door hatchback would be unsaleable in France. The strong emphasis on motoring pleasure was backed by down-to-earth versatility and functionality: the Renault 5 had something of a split personality. Market appeal was further enhanced by low fuel consumption, an important factor around the time of the second oil crisis.
    A five-door version followed in 1979, and sporting variants (Alpine and turbo) aroused considerable interest.
    Over the years, production would top 5,325,000 units, and the Renault 5 would enjoy a brilliant international career.

Data sheet

Name: Renault 5
    Model year: 1973
    Engine: Renault four-cylinder, in-line - Bore 65 mm - Stroke 72 mm - Capacity 956cc
    Power: 47 bhp SAE
    Gearbox: Four forward synchromesh gears and reverse
    Brakes: Drum brakes at front and hydraulic control at rear
    Coachwork: All-steel body forming shell with chassis
    Dimensions and weight: Length 3.50 m - Width 1.52 m - Height 1.40 m - Weight 785 kg
    Top speed: Over 135 km/h

Renault 5 #4

Renault 5 #5

I've driven one of theese! hehe
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Never a huge fan of the Renault 5 .. the R5 Turbo was pretty beefy though. Id take an R5T over a Clio V6 if I could keep the change Got any pics of the Turbo?

A small correction.
    4dr sedan version of Renault 5 (post #3, second picture) was actually called Renault 7.
    Inerestingly, the Renault 7 was supposed to replace the Renault 8 but for some reason Renult's management changed their minds. So in order not to loose the investment, the Renault 7 was put on a market where sedan cars were very popular: Spain.
    Thus, Renault 7 was only built in Spain from 1974 to 1982, in Valladolid factory and was only sold in Spain.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    Never a huge fan of the Renault 5 .. the R5 Turbo was pretty beefy though. Id take an R5T over a Clio V6 if I could keep the change Got any pics of the Turbo?

Look down about 3 or 4 threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    A small correction.
    4dr sedan version of Renault 5 (post #3, second picture) was actually called Renault 7.
    Inerestingly, the Renault 7 was supposed to replace the Renault 8 but for some reason Renult's management changed their minds. So in order not to loose the investment, the Renault 7 was put on a market where sedan cars were very popular: Spain.
    Thus, Renault 7 was only built in Spain from 1974 to 1982, in Valladolid factory and was only sold in Spain.

Cheers!
    Read the release in #3. There was a 5-door released in 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Read the release in #3. There was a 5-door released in 1979.
    Well, my post was exclusively about 4-door sedan version not 5-door hatcback.
    To be more precise, my point is that a Renault 5 with a boot was called Renault 7.
    If you look closely second picture in post #3, you can just about see the boot.
    And at least one of the girls is full-blooded Spaniard Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Look down about 3 or 4 threads?
    Cheers

Renault 5 #6

Hi

I am about to buy a 1972 Renault 5 (in good condition) and wondered what I can expect it to do to the gallon on normal driving. Its the 850cc engine.

You may think I'm an idiot but the Alpine Turbo has got to be one of the sweetest rally cars I've seen, a shame they weren't released in New Zealand

Thread Information