Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: painting tamiya models

Quote Originally Posted by manik_890
    what do you think are more difficult to make 1/24's or 1/12's?
    I find 1/24 more difficult due to the smaller size of items and the extra effort to add realism. SOME kits have photo-etch parts available which relieves some of that - and the contents of your wallet

More parts in 1/12 but that means less scratch-build which can be fun but more difficult.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by manik_890
    what do you think are more difficult to make 1/24's or 1/12's?
    I think it depends entirely on the model, as with every kit no matter what size...some are easier than others.

Just because a model is larger doesn't mean it has more parts, and more parts doesn't always equal more realism.

The main thing is getting building experience, learn some techniques that work for you then apply them to every model build. Along the way you will learn how to overcome difficlties in the buiilding process.

At my age and eye conditions complicated 1/43 scale kits (such as Tameo F1 kits) are probably the most difficult to do. There is also a hell of difference between a well engineered 1/12 kit like the Tamiya's or a "random set of parts" that you get to make a Protar 1/12. Turning the latter into a proper model is however sometimes very rewarding.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    At my age and eye conditions complicated 1/43 scale kits (such as Tameo F1 kits) are probably the most difficult to do.
    Yeah, I can't really work in 1/43. Never happy with the quality of my own work. Hands not steady enough and eyesight getting worse Old age you know ?

Anywa, I wish I coudl for these French model companies kits.
    NOW, some of them need a LOT of work and some go together sweetly. But to build a complete Le Mans winners grid I can but dream
    http://www.mafma.com/liste.php?Marqu...on_KIT_LE_MANS
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

LeMans Miniatures produces quite a few of those in 1/24, but they are mostly curbside.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    LeMans Miniatures produces quite a few of those in 1/24, but they are mostly curbside.
    I've got the Alpine and Matra ones Fisher do a nice 1/24

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I've got the Alpine and Matra ones Fisher do a nice 1/24
    Are they worth the money? I never ventured out into the world of resin kits.

Lots of work, filler, shaping and trimming to fit.
    The Fisher kits are VERY good. He's a really nice guy to work with too. VERY helpful. We arranged a bulk-purchase for the club and got a good discount

The BIG plus is you get the more unusual models in the more unusal scales.
    The DOWNSIDE, is you don't want "old stock" I broke tyres when assembling them on hubs before I realised that the resin goes brittle .
    Now I "warm" things up in an attempt to ease them and am a LOT more careful with second-hand kits.

Check out the NEW 1/24th model from PROFIL ......

99Euros a bit steep, IF I get a chance to look at the quality I think I'll add this one 380 Euros built !! So if anyone woudl like a built one I can do it for 300 Euros
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-03-2005 at 09:22 AM.

a ghost Matra, but I would never buy a complete model, not even from you, the fun is (or should be) in the building process.

aw damn, it ALWASY happens every time I go to the MAFMA site.

Another 1:24 resin kits..... must find credit card ADMN the kids will ahve to go hungry again

PS: Agreed on the building. I've bought some pre-built kits and while they are pretty to look at I dont' "enjoy" them as much as those that I built !!!

for the masking tape paint leaking question... what do u mean using toothpick? use the toothpick to press the tape harder? or to press the paint out?? or to clean the paint?
    thx!

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    for the masking tape paint leaking question... what do u mean using toothpick? use the toothpick to press the tape harder? or to press the paint out?? or to clean the paint?
    thx!
    both, you can use a toothpick to make the tape stick at places where you cannot properly use your fingers, and you use the toothpick for gently removing excess paint, without risking to scratch the underlying paintwork (a metal tool will invariably give scratches)

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    thx!
    The best way to seal your masking is to put on a light coat of clear after you mask and before your next color. But as henks says, use you fingernail or a toothpick to run across all your edges to get them down.

One good quality of Tamiya masking tape is it is semi transparent so you can better tell if you have the edges down properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia

One good quality of Tamiya masking tape is it is semi transparent so you can better tell if you have the edges down properly.
    your eyes must be better than mine

Thread Information