Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus Warning

Virus Warning

A UCP member has been infected by the bropia virus via Messenger.

As more and more UCPers use IM to communicate we are all open to this spread.

This has NOTHING to do with the UCP site and UCP aren't responsibel or involved in it in any way.

IF you use IM then it is possible you may have been trapped by the trojan this virus uses to spread via IM.

IM is now being used to trasnfer viruses by making it look like you have a picture or video from a friend. you accept it in IM and then open it in IM. Sadly that wasn't a fiel from your friend it was the bropia trojan adn your sytem is then infected and the little b@st@rd now uses YOUR IM contacts list to send it out to eeryoen else.

So on IM do NOT open a file unless you knwo the person has sent it. In this case I asked them to confirm and they said they didnt' so I was able to stop the trojan and help the other person clean their system. SO DO NOT ACCEPT or OPEN files without confirming with th other person it's contents.

NOW, how do you know if you are infected ?
    Run your virus scanner.
    IF you don't have one then PLEASE get one.
    In the meantime go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp pr one of the many other free online scanner and run it.
    it will detect and delete it if it finds it.
    OR you can download the instructions and tool at http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html from Symantec to remove bropia if you know you're infected.
    THEN get yourself a virus scanner and run it to defend from these.

Hopefully we can nip this before it spreads through our IM contacts.

Good luck and hope you aren't einfected

Again let me re-iterate this trojan/virus has NOTHING to do with UCP.
    It is only IM users who are possibly affected and only from other IM users.

I'm posting this here as a friendly service to fellow UCPers who have and use Instant Messengers to talk outside of UCP.

EDIT: I've made this sticky for a month to make sure it doesn't get missed and then we'll drop it out.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-15-2005 at 10:26 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It was Me, I thought it was a mobile video of a mate.

But im clean now, but as Peter says be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    It was Me, I thought it was a mobile video of a mate.

But im clean now, but as Peter says be careful.
    In a way I am not totally surprised it was You . Anyway, my scan is running now as well.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

ive had several people try and send me things via msn and my firewall had detected them all and blocked them before they could get to me.

i also did a check and im / my PC is fine
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    In a way I am not totally surprised it was You . Anyway, my scan is running now as well.
    Why? it spreads through everyones contacts, and no one knows.

What are you saying .

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    Why? it spreads through everyones contacts, and no one knows.

What are you saying .

I just liked the capital Me
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Has MSN provided a patch to correct the problelm?

EDIT: way to be looking out for the family matra...

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    I have a virus! But its not that one.
    Its SO complicating I can't figure it out.

Its like this. Every time I start my PC my Symantec Anit-Virus says thats it has deleted a virus by the name of Beagle W32 something and that access is denied. Fair enough. Now the next time I start my PC, the same thing happens.

Then, sometimes when I go into my C Drive I find it lurking in some folders. When I get to the folder the sign comes up again and the program(virus) is no longer there. Its like its running away.

Can someone help me?

i was wondering why people were trying to send me files disguised as pictures

Thnks for the heads up matra
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout

Its like this. Every time I start my PC my Symantec Anit-Virus says thats it has deleted a virus by the name of Beagle W32 something and that access is denied. Fair enough. Now the next time I start my PC, the same thing happens.

Then, sometimes when I go into my C Drive I find it lurking in some folders. When I get to the folder the sign comes up again and the program(virus) is no longer there. Its like its running away.

Can someone help me?
    This should help you out. Download the removal tool, and then run it. http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
    IIRC Beagle was one of those self-copying virii. Which is why it's hard to get rid of.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

yeah at least 5 of my frinds linked me last night, im just like nah
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Can someone help me?
    you might have this
    http://[email protected]

you said that you have Nortons, and Nortons says that it blocks this Virus if it tires to infect you.

the reason I say it is this virus out of all the beagle viruses is because that many of the beagle viruses do not do anything if it is passed a certain date, which the dates are from a year ago.

since the virus is there, it starts it'self when you start your cpu. and then it starts to spread, but Norton blocks it and stops it from doing it so that's why that window opens.

so just download the tool and follow the instrucions they give you and you will be clean

hope this helps!
    Last edited by Karrmann; 02-15-2005 at 02:17 PM.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    This should help you out. Download the removal tool, and then run it. http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
    IIRC Beagle was one of those self-copying virii. Which is why it's hard to get rid of.
    I appreciate it a lot. But look at this! These two apperaed at the same time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I appreciate it a lot. But look at this! These two apperaed at the same time!
    http://[email protected]

/\ here is the link you need.

from what you are looking at, Bill Gates must be a ****ing idiot.

I suggest that before trying to remove the worm, search for it in the task manager when you press ctl+alt+del and when you find it, press end task and stop it from running.

then try to remove the worm.

then get a Macintosh

Thread Information