Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Romeo 159 (Progetto 939) 2005–2011

Alfa Romeo 159 Q4 2007

Q4 and Q-Tronic: cutting-edge technology for the Alfa 159
    The Alfa 159 returns to Frankfurt with a number of novelties in terms of its specifications and equipment. The saloon on display is the TI (Turismo Internazionale) sports version, equipped with the powerful 210 bhp 2.4 JTDM engine and the Q4 system. It also features the sophisticated Blue&MeTM Nav system, which offers a number of telematic services that are activated by dedicated keys, making it possible to make emergency calls and to ask for information, but also to stipulate insurance policies at advantageous conditions. An Alfa 159 Sportwagon will also be on the catwalk in Frankfurt, equipped with the brilliant 2.4 JTDM engine and the 6-speed ‘Q-Tronic’ transmission. A description of the two cars follows.

The 200 bhp 159 Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM with the Q-Tronic transmission

The Frankfurt stand will include an Alfa 159 Sportwagon with Light blue paintwork and 18” alloys with special hub trims from the Unique Alfa Vintage range. Inside there are several items from the Collezione range; the facia and panels are upholstered in beige leather, while the seats are covered with luxurious beige ‘pieno fiore’ Frau leather.

The car on show is powered by the powerful 200 bhp 2.4 JTDM 20v engine combined with the Q-Tronic transmission, delivering peak torque of 400 Nm at 2000 rpm. The torque delivery reaches its peak at very low engine speeds, and highlights the immediate, prompt response to the accelerator pedal. With this equipment, the Sportwagon reaches a top speed of 222 km/h and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 8.6 seconds.

The 6-speed Q-Tronic transmission can operate in automatic or sequential mode, exploiting the potential of the 200 bhp 2.4 JTDM engine in full. The ‘Q-Tronic’ control lets you drive the car automatically, with only a few simple moves of the gearshift, and all the functions of an automatic transmission (park, reverse, neutral and drive), or in sequential mode.

The name ‘Q-Tronic’ is the result of the combination of the letter ‘Q’ and the term ‘Tronic’. The ‘Q’ revives the root adopted for the ‘Q4’ technology of the four-wheel drive developed by Alfa Romeo, confirming the research undertaken by the brand into technologies and devices at the service of racing performance, driving comfort and active safety. The term ‘Tronic’, on the other hand, explains that the system incorporates an electronic control unit that governs gear changes optimally and intelligently.

This is how it works: the automatic transmission ensures the best exploitation of engine performance and excellent comfort, particularly in town. The ‘Q-Tronic’ combines these advantages with easy gear changes, with fewer impulses perceived by the driver. What is more, drivers who do not wish to forgo the entertainment of a sporty driving style can use the innovative system sequentially, like a transmission with fixed ratios in a sequence: moving the gearshift forward (towards the ‘+’) changes up to a higher speed, while an impulse in the other direction (towards the ‘-’) changes down to a lower speed.

The ‘Q-Tronic’ gearbox, which is exclusive to the 200 bhp 2.4 JTDM version, also offers two operating modes, ‘Sport’ and ‘Winter’. When the car is started and with the gearshift in Drive, the ‘Comfort’ mode is activated, which guarantees smooth gear changes and balanced consumption because speeds are engaged at a relatively low engine speed. Pressing the button next to the shift changes to ‘Sport’ mode, which emphasises performance and guarantees a brilliant, entertaining drive, with gear changes set at the higher engine speeds, to bring out the car’s sporty attitude. And finally, holding the button down engages ‘Winter’ mode, which maintains maximum grip even if the road surface is particularly insidious, for example on snow-covered roads.

Alfa 159 TI 2.4 JTDM Q4

This saloon stands out for a number of features peculiar to the TI specification. Starting from the low stance, the sideskirts and the dark 19” alloys. The sportiness of the instrumentation merges with elegance in the refined interior, with black stitching on the leather upholstery of the seats, steering wheel and gear lever gaiter. The equipment of this particular car includes ‘8C Red’ bodywork and the Blue&Me Nav system.

TI (Turismo Internazionale)
    TI for Turismo Internazionale, the name that Alfa Romeo once gave only to the most lavishly equipped of its cars. They were derived from standard models but stylistic touches and mechanical changes turned them into thoroughbred sports cars for everyday driving. And today those two letters, so simple but so glorious, reappear on cars in the Alfa 159 family (saloon and Sportwagon). Underlining that the Alfa Romeo brand means the quality and guarantee of work performed right in the plant for this particular sporty characterisation.
    Destined to a young, sporty public, the cars with the TI logo promise more entertaining driving, better handling and more powerful braking. In a word, the dynamic behaviour of a car that brings the sensations of the racing circuit to our everyday roads.
    Models for people who want the maximum in terms of sportiness. And they want other people to know about it, albeit without ostentation. As a result, the exterior lines of the cars are not radically altered, and any intervention is limited to a few small touches. This is why the cars are still immediately recognisable from outside, but appear more assertive, literally ‘glued’ to the road, thanks in part to their low stance, larger tyres, 19” alloy wheels, sideskirts and larger brakes with red callipers.
    Inside, the TI ambience is expressed in the sporty shape of the leather covered seats, the new steering wheel with its sports grip, the gear lever knob covered with perforated leather, and the dark upholstery of the ceiling and pillars. The same sporty look is evident in the instrument graphics, the pedals and the heel-high strip with the TI logo. And finally, the burnished aluminium trims and satin-effect housing of the wing mirrors (optional) that characterise this particular version, which also offers a superb array of standard equipment, including a climate system with dual-zone temperature and air distribution control, foglights and the VDC system. These are cars that give great sensations and authentic driving pleasure in everyday use, that interpret brand values one hundred percent and that are ambassadors of the ‘sportiness’ that makes them famous all over the world. In a word, the new TI specification is the perfect answer for customers who wish to enter the world of Alfa Romeo sports.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

The ‘Alfa Q4’ system
    The Alfa 159 also adopts an evolved version of the permanent 4x4 system with three differentials (with a Torsen C self-locking unit at the centre). The heart of this design is the ‘Alfa Romeo Q4 four-wheel drive’ system, which splits torque constantly and dynamically between the four wheels, reaching the highest levels of active safety and sportiness. The Torsen C self-locking differential sends drive torque 57% to the rear wheels and 43% to the front. The system also guarantees excellent traction in all grip conditions by automatically checking any slipping.
    The torque split between the front and rear axles is modulated constantly by the Torsen C central differential on the basis of grip.
    This feature harnesses sportiness to enhance active safety. Modulation is mechanical, continuous and gradual, to enhance the perception of optimal, enjoyable, easy driving. There are no gaps in the torque delivery. Where grip is concerned, the behaviour adapts gradually and smoothly to changing road conditions. This ‘mechanical’ control is backed up by electronic stability control, which boosts performance and safety margins, in line with the Alfa Romeo philosophy.
    The car is the state of the art in technical terms and offers important advantages:
    • Q4 permanent four-wheel drive with a Torsen C self-locking differential makes for better roadholding, entertaining driving and smooth responses. Other technological archetypes with electronically controlled joints do not achieve the optimal balance between understeer and oversteer or the smoothness that are innate in the Alfa 159, and translate into superb active safety.
    • The torque split in favour of the rear axle makes driving even more entertaining, because the car is even easier to handle, without detracting in any way from stability during sudden lane changes on the motorway, or other emergency manoeuvres.
    • The possibility of travelling safely when grip is poor without having to use electronics to split torque, enhancing the enjoyment of driving.
    We could say that the Alfa 159 Sportwagon Q4 interprets four-wheel drive from the Alfa Romeo point of view: it is basically a ‘mechanical’ system enhanced by cutting-edge electronic technology to guarantee maximum comfort and entertainment, combined with superb performance and absolute safety.

The Blue&MeTM Nav system
    The Alfa 159 is available with the brand-new Blue&Me™ Nav system, the latest evolution of the Blue&Me™ system which is proving to be a huge commercial success just one year after its launch: in fact it is requested by 20% of purchasers of all Fiat Group Automobiles models.
    Today, Blue&Me™ takes another step forward, with the new Blue&Me™ Nav version. In addition to the version marketed until now (hands-free with Bluetooth® interface and advanced voice recognition, USB port, MP3 player and SMS text interpreter), the new Alfa Romeo model will offer a new version that incorporates the convenience of a navigator at an extremely competitive price. Blue&Me™ Nav is already wired to enable a range of telematic services developed in partnership with Telecom Italia, such as:
    • SOS calls: in an emergency the driver only has to press the SOS button and a call and text message will be sent to the control centre giving the car’s position. This service is also activated automatically when an airbag inflates. The vehicle is located rapidly so that roadside and medical assistance can be sent. The SOS button is also used in the event of a sudden indisposition or danger. These services are free of charge during the warranty period.
    • INFO: information at the motorist’s service. Wherever he goes, the driver can receive updates about events, films, museums, road conditions, trains, restaurants, bars and plenty more. He only has to press the INFO button to speak to an operator who will answer his every query. INFO services are ‘pay-as-you-use’.
    • Insurance services: thanks to the satellite location system and agreements with the major insurance companies, it will be possible to obtain discounts of up to 20% on Third Party insurance and of up to 50% on Theft and Fire insurance. If the car should be stolen, the tracking device will trace it. It will also be possible to establish how many kilometres the car travels and, on the basis of this, to draft specific insurance policies, which are more advantageous because they are based on the customer’s habits and real needs.
    Blue&Me™ Nav offers a simple, intuitive pictogram navigation system that features an innovative method of introducing the destination using voice controls.
    The destination is located in real time: the map of the country is memorised on the USB pen drive, and this makes access to the data faster and quieter than when a CD is used.
    And with Blue&Me™ Nav, all the functions are built-in, and the telephone, music and navigation information is available on the instrument panel. What is more, as he navigates, the driver can listen to his favourite music, which he has memorised, together with the map, on the same USB pen drive or media player, or make a hands-free telephone call.

All the strong points of the system
    Blue&Me™ was developed in 3 years by Fiat Group Automobiles and Microsoft. The partnership was ratified in July 2004, with the long-term goal of designing innovative telematic systems for cars, and it has created a product that has established itself on the market, exploiting a perfectly integrated technology that is in complete harmony with the user, as its name suggests.
    Based on the Windows Mobile for Automotive system, this device features an open system that is always in step with the times, updateable, flexible and modular. With the help of Magneti Marelli, Fiat Group Automobiles and Microsoft offer a platform that adapts to most cell phones, music players and other personal devices, replacing current expensive, rigid hardware, with the great benefit of being able to constantly adapt to innovations on the market, remaining perfectly integrated into the car. All at an accessible price.
    Blue&Me™ is extremely safe and easy to use. The voice control system, which is perfectly integrated into the controls on the steering wheel and the information on the instrument panel, allows a customer with a Bluetooth® cell phone to use it even if the phone is in a jacket or bag, without taking his hands off the wheel. And the advanced voice recognition system allows immediate interaction, because the voice does not have to be ‘learned’, and even allows incoming text messages to be interpreted aloud.
    Occupants can listen to hours and hours of digital music in MP3, WMA and WAV format recorded on an iPod, a cell phone, an MP3 player or a USB pen drive, by connecting the digital device to the USB port.
    The customer who purchases the Blue&Me™ Nav system will receive a navigation kit comprising a USB pen drive with the memorised map, and a back-up CD that can be used to transfer the map onto a personal MP3 player or iPod.
    The Nav key connects directly to the navigation menu, which can also be accessed via the controls on the steering wheel, or vocally. The USB key is inserted to start navigating, and the driver uses the keys on the steering wheel to choose his destination by selecting the initial letters of the address; he can even complete it vocally.
    Like all other information, the navigation details can be displayed on the control panel: destination address, pictograms of the directions to follow, information on arrival and the usual vocal suggestions of what manoeuvres to make, reproduced through the speakers. Unlike other navigators, on which it is not possible to navigate and listen to music CDs at the same time without a CD changer, with Blue&Me™ Nav the driver can navigate while he listens to the music saved in his media player.
    The navigation program can be used on a personal computer together with the back-up CD, to save the maps of a number of countries, purchased separately, on the USB pen drive. Then the driver can select a whole country (for example Italy, France, Germany, etc.), or part of a country (for example northern/central/southern Italy), or even a region that groups together maps of different countries (for example northern Italy and Switzerland, Austria and southern Germany).

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

This car is hot.

When is Alfa Romeo going to come back to America, by the way?

Can't wait to see them on our streets.

A black 159 SW Q4 with TI option is so high on my wish list that I can't describe it.
    The TI option is pure sex interior wise...
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 11-30-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Why am i getting so many errors with the pics?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Yeah, strange, me too.

Typical Italian reliablility....

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    It could be that they are saved as CMYK (instead of RGB) and UCP doesn't support it.
    ( Gt1Street should able to tell us )

That thing is sex.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    That thing is sex.
    Oh yeah, of course.

The photo errors that I'm still getting don't help it though.

You can find roughly the same pictures in this thread.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...o-159-a-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    It could be that they are saved as CMYK (instead of RGB) and UCP doesn't support it.
    ( Gt1Street should able to tell us )
    they are RGB, im aware of that prob and i take it into consideration when ever i rob media sites...

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    they are RGB, im aware of that prob and i take it into consideration when ever i rob media sites...
    weird, still, thank you for the pics and info
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

3/02/2009

Alfa Romeo 159 (sedan and Sportwagon) with the new engines

Space at Geneva also for the Alfa 159 and the Alfa 159 Sportwagon models: the first is an exclusive sedan combining refined Italian style with the “elegant sportiness” of Alfa Romeo. The Alfa 159 Sportwagon on the other hand combines the style, performance and handling of a genuine sports car with the flexibility of use and luggage space versatility of a prestigious station wagon.

The versions exhibited offer two new Euro 5 compliant engines which will be available from the beginning of April: the 1.75 liter 200 HP TBi engine and the 2.0 liter 170 HP JTDM engine. In detail, the Alfa Romeo 159 is fitted with the new 1.75 liter TBi engine (Euro 5) - maximum output 200 HP from 4750 to 5500 rpm and maximum torque of 320 Nm at 1400 rpm – giving it a maximum speed of 235 km/h and acceleration of 0 to 100 km/h in barely 7.7 seconds.
    Standing out against a delightful Rosso 8C, the powerful Alfa Romeo sedan is offered in the TI sporting version, featuring lowered geometry, bigger tires, 19 inch alloy rims, miniskirts and large aluminum brakes with red calipers. So, a very determined-looking car with a decidedly “ground-hugging” look. Inside, the TI environment is recognizable from the shaped sports seats in perforated leather with the Alfa Romeo logo stitched in red, plus the steering wheel with sports grip and the gear knob covered in leather with red stitching.
    The internal coverings are black and the insignia are in “brushed dark aluminum”. The same impression of sportiness appears in the instrument panel graphics, the pedals and the aluminum scuff plate with TI logo. Finally, this particular version comes with high-end equipment including triple-zone climate control, VDC system with Electronic Q2, Blue&Me Nav GPS and entertainment system, Bose Hi-Fi system and Cruise Control.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Alfa Romeo 159 #16
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information