Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Mustang (1st gen) 1964–1973

Ford Mustang (1st gen) 1964–1973

Ford Mustang First generation (1964–1973)

As Lee Iacocca's assistant general manager and chief engineer, Donald N. Frey was the head engineer for the T-5 project—supervising the overall development of the car in a record 18 months—while Iacocca himself championed the project as Ford Division general manager. The T-5 prototype was a two-seat, mid-mounted engine roadster. This vehicle employed the German Ford Taunus V4 engine and was very similar in appearance to the much later Pontiac Fiero.

It was claimed that the decision to abandon the two-seat design was in part due to the low sales experienced with the 2-seat 1955 Thunderbird. To broaden market appeal it was later remodeled as a four-seat car (with full space for the front bucket seats, as originally planned, and a rear bench seat with significantly less space than was common at the time). A "Fastback 2+2" model traded the conventional trunk space for increased interior volume as well as giving exterior lines similar to those of the second series of the Corvette Sting Ray and European sports cars such as the Jaguar E-Type. The "Fastback 2+2" was not available as a 1964½ model, but was first manufactured on August 17, 1964.

The new design was styled under the direction of Project Design Chief Joe Oros and his team of L. David Ash, Gale Halderman, and John Foster—in Ford's Lincoln–Mercury Division design studios, which produced the winning design in an intramural design contest instigated by Iacocca.

Favorable publicity articles appeared in 2,600 newspapers the next morning, the day the car was "officially" revealed. A Mustang also appeared in the James Bond film Goldfinger in September 1964.

To cut down the development cost and achieve a suggested retail price of US$2,368, the Mustang was based heavily on familiar yet simple components, many of which were already in production for other Ford models. Many (if not most) of the interior, chassis, suspension, and drivetrain components were derived from those used on Ford's Falcon and Fairlane. This use of common components also shortened the learning curve for assembly and repair workers, while at the same time allowing dealers to pick up the Mustang without also having to spend massive amounts of money on spare parts inventories to support the new car line.

Original sales forecasts projected less than 100,000 units for the first year. This mark was surpassed in three months from rollout. Another 318,000 would be sold during the model year (a record), and in its first eighteen months, more than one million Mustangs were built. Several changes were made at the traditional opening of the new model year (beginning August 1964), including the addition of back-up lights on some models, the introduction of alternators to replace generators, and an upgrade of the V8 engine from 260 cu in (4.3 l) to 289 cu in (4.7 l) displacement. In the case of at least some six-cylinder Mustangs fitted with the 101 hp (75 kW) 170 cu in (2.8 l) Falcon engine, the rush into production included some unusual quirks, such as a horn ring bearing the 'Ford Falcon' logo beneath a trim ring emblazoned with 'Ford Mustang.' These characteristics made enough difference to warrant designation of the 121,538 earlier ones as "1964½" model-year Mustangs, a distinction that has endured with purists.

All of the features added to the "1965" model were available as options or developmental modification to the "1964½" model, which in some cases led to "mix-and-match" confusion as surprised Ford execs hurriedly ramped up production by taking over lines originally intended for other car models' 1965 years. Some cars with 289 engines which were not given the chrome fender badges denoting the larger engine, and more than one car left the plant with cutouts for back-up lights but no lights nor the later wiring harness needed to operate them. While these would today be additional-value collectors' items, most of these oddities were corrected at the dealer level, sometimes only after buyers had noticed them. The 1966 model was basically unchanged, but featured revised side scoops, grill and gas cap, as well as the deletion of the four bars protruding from the Mustang emblem in the grille. The Falcon-based instrument cluster was replaced with a sportier unit designed specially for the Mustang.

Ford's designers began drawing up a larger versions even as the original was achieving sales success, and while "Iacocca later complained about the Mustang's growth, he did oversee the 1967 redesign.". From 1967 until 1973, the Mustang got bigger but not necessarily more powerful. The revised Mustang retained the original body structure but styling was refreshed, giving the Mustang a more massive look overall. Front and rear end styling was more pronounced, and the "twin cove" instrument panel offered a thicker crash pad, and larger gauges. Hardtop, fastback and convertible body styles continued as before. Federal safety features were standard that year, including an energy-absorbing steering column and wheel, 4-way emergency flashers, and softer interior knobs. For 1968 models, the 1967 body style continued, but with revised side scoops, steering wheel, and gas caps. Side marker lights were also added that year, and cars built after January 1, 1968 included shoulder belts for both front seats. The 1968 models also introduced a new V8 engine, the 302. This small-block engine was designed for Federal emissions standards that were to take effect, and ended up being used in a large number of other Ford vehicles for many decades - including most styles of Mustang until 1995.

The Custom Sliver with Black stripes 1967 Mustang Fastback as Eleanor in the Gone in Sixty Seconds 2000 remake film reprises her role again with Memphis Raines, played by actor Nicolas Cage as her leading man. Eleanor as the 1967 Custom Mustang Fastback became a super star and popular culture status over night.

The 1969 restyle added more heft to the body as width and length again increased. Weight went up markedly too. Due to the larger body and revised front end styling, the 1969 models (but less so in 1970) had a notable aggressive stance. The 1969 models featured "quad headlamps" which disappeared to make way for a wider grille and a return to standard headlamps in the 1970 models. This switch back to standard headlamps was an attempt to tame the aggressive styling of the 1969 model, which some felt was too extreme and hurt its sales. It's worth noting though that 1969 sales exceeded those in 1970. Starting in 1969, to aid sales and continue the winning formula of the Mustang, a variety of new performance and decorative options became available, including functional (and non-functional) air scoops, cable and pin hood tie downs, and both wing and chin spoilers. Additionally, a variety of performance packages were introduced to appeal to a wider audience, notably the Mach 1, the Boss 302 and Boss 429. The two Boss models were introduced to homologate the engines for racing but received fame on the street and to this day they still demand premium pricing for their pedigree. 1969 was the last year for the GT option. However, a fourth model available only as a hardtop, the Grande, (pronounced 'grund-ai') met a degree of success starting in 1969 with its soft ride, "luxurious" trim, 55 pounds (24.9 kg) of extra sound deadening, and simulated wood trim.

Developed under the watch of "Bunkie" Knudsen, the Mustang evolved from "from speed and power" to the growing consumer demand for bigger and heavier "luxury" type designs. "The result were the styling misadventures of 1971 — 73 ... The Mustang grew fat and lazy,"Ford was out of the go-fast business almost entirely by 1971.This was the last major restyling of the first-generation Mustang.The cars grew in every dimension except height, and they gained about 800 pounds (363 kg).The restyling also sought to create the illusion that the cars were even larger. The 1971 Mustang was nearly 3 inches wider than the 1970, its front and rear track was also widened by 3 inches, and its size was most evident in the SportsRoof models with its nearly flat rear roofline and cramped interior with poor visibility for the driver. Performance decreased with sales continuing to decrease[38] as consumers switched to the smaller Pintos and Mavericks. A displeased Iacocca summed up later: "The Mustang market never left us, we left it."[39]

In the Original 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds, the Star car Character Eleanor 1973 Yellow Mustang Fastback is the only Ford Mustang history to receive a Starring Credit in a Motion Picture, with her leading man Maindrian Pace, played by actor, director and produce H.B. Halicki.

Mustang past and future

*You can see the year and trim level in the filename.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 08-23-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Ford Mustang #2

Ford Mustang #3

Ford Mustang #4

Ford Mustang #5

Ford Mustang #6

Ford Mustang #7

Ford Mustang #8

Ford Mustang #9

Ford Mustang #10

Ford Mustang #11

Ford Mustang #12

Ford Mustang #13

Ford Mustang #14

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Most say that the '71-'73 got fat and ugly. They got fatter alright, but were actually only about the same size as the "benchmark" muscle cars like the Chevelle and Challenger. And ugly is a subjective thing...I happen to like the '71-73's, and so does my Dad, and many others - as evidenced by the compliments my Dad's mach gets.

The 80's Box-body Mustangs are the ugly ones to me, but have amazing bang for the buck and are also among the lightest Mustangs.

Anyway, great pics, thanks for posting them. Got a little fastback-heavy on the '67-70 models, but I guess that's what people want anyway. So who am I to complain?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information