Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "An Unfair Advantage..."

Oh I just remembered a story told by Claude Roulle when I went to the MoTEC seminar, he used to run a Toyota Supra in European Touring car in the 80s. He says in those days every one cheats and they all know about it. For the Spa 24 hours they entered a car that's underweight but when they went for prerace scruitineering they put these special wheels on the car that's like 40 kg each. They just roll the car onto the scale and push it back to the pit. The car retired in the race but he said he wouldn't know what to do if they actually finished. Apparently one wheel at one point rolled away from their pit stall down the pitlane(approach to Eau Rouge is downhill, and thats where the sportscar/touring car pitlane was), the wheel went through 2 concrete wall at the bottom of the hill...

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    The techs knew it was happening, but could never pin it on anyone. There was also a story how this failed, a shot was rusted in the hole it came out of, and wouldn't come out when Waltrip pulled it, then while coming in to pit, the shot came out and as it rolled under the rear tires it shot all over rit row. I don't think they used it after that...

Very cool thing here about cheating in F1.
    Another good article here Excerpt: "Cheating in Formula One is the easiest thing in the world" "There are simply things in the software area that can't be controlled. There are programmes that can erase themselves,"- Heinz-Harald Frentzen
    Though watching nascar is more boring then...erm...nascarhere's a short article on cheating there.
    If you're really interested in this I would suggest you get a book by Mark Donahue called The Unfair Advantage. I believe it to be the finest book about cars written to date, also has tons of fascinating stuff on slight cheats that helped him win through the years.

Thread Information