Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homework Help !

Homework Help !

I know this isn't the right place to come and ask for help on homework but it it was my only choice, so don't bitch about it. I've asked everyone to help me on this problem but know one seems to get how to do it. So i'll ask yall.

Heres the problem:

Tickets for a football game cost $4.00 for adults $3.00 for students. A total of 1787 people paid admission to the game. The total revenue from the sale of the tickets is $5792. How many of each kind of ticket were there?

If somebody knows how to do it and get the correct answer, please help me out and post how you did it. Don't forget to post how you made the eqaution to solve for this problem and what the equation was.

Thanks for the help in advance.

x + y = 1787

4x + 3y = 5792

y= 1787-x

4x +3(1787-x)=5792

x = 5792 -3(1787)

x = 431

341*4=1724

5792 -1724 =4068

4068/3 = 1356

y= 1356

therefore 431 at $4 and 1356 at $3 = $5792

my bills in the post (or maybe just a gmail invite )

edit : i used simulataneous equations any questions just pm me and i'll get back to tomoroow
    Last edited by derekthetree; 03-09-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Edit: Beat me to it.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 03-09-2005 at 04:05 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Cheater.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

y = amount of students who came ?

and

x = amount of adults who came ?
    Last edited by shr0olvl; 03-09-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shr0olvl

and

yes..
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

and

if u didnt knowthis by now you should spend some time consulting your teacher.

dont end up like those kids who are afraid to ask questions
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    if u didnt knowthis by now you should spend some time consulting your teacher.

dont end up like those kids who are afraid to ask questions
    Im not afraid to ask questions. It's just that my teacher sucks at teaching and everyone in my class yells and hollars to piss her off cause shes a mean old bag. So you can't really pay attention or ask questions cause you can't hear anything with the stuff goin on around the room.
    Last edited by Matt; 03-10-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Im not afraid to ask questions. It's just that my teacher sucks at teaching and everyone in my class yells and hollars to piss her off cause shes a mean old bag. So you can't really pay attention or ask questions cause you can't hear anything with the stuff goin on around the room.
    no offense, but it's not the teacher's fault for not teaching you guys well if you don't like her and piss her off. Respect is a two-way street.
    Last edited by Matt; 03-10-2005 at 03:37 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    no offense, but it's not the teacher's fault for not teaching you guys well if you don't like her and piss her off. Respect is a two-way street.
    Nah, you don't under stand. This teacher is the worst teacher ever. She sucks at teaching and gets pissed off when you ask her for help. Then, after she teaches a lesson, she gives us a quiz over it and the questions on the quiz are not even like the lesson she taught us. So everyone hates her now and just pisses her off.

Aghhh crap. I need some more help on this homework. I tryed to do this problem and I can tell it is completely wrong.

The cost of 4 boxes of small paper clips and 9 boxes of large paper clips is $15.75. Eight boxes of small clips and 7 boxes of large ones cost $16.65. Find the cost of each box of each size paper clip box.

If someone can list the steps of solving this one like the one before, please do it !

Thanks.

I guess that could be true, I was just thinking that because my friend's english class is so badass that they went through 3 teachers and have just started their 4th... Not long before they'll see a 5th teacher to teach that class and it's only been like 7 months.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The cost of 4 boxes of small paper clips and 9 boxes of large paper clips is $15.75. Eight boxes of small clips and 7 boxes of large ones cost $16.65. Find the cost of each box of each size paper clip box.

Can anyone list the steps of solving this one. I still can't figure it out.

ok shroolvl, i'll help you. When you have problems like these first you have to look at it and ask yourself, "how many variables do i have". ok so you have two sizes of paper clips and you don't know their prices, so those are your variables. so say x is small boxes and y is large boxes. now you have to write your equations, in a problem with two variables, you need at least two equations. so you can write out:
    4x + 9y=15.75
    and
    8x + 7y=16.65
    now you take one of those above equations and solve for a variable, doesnt matter which one, just pick one and solve. ok say you solve the first equation for x and you got
    x= 5/y
    so then you would plug into the second equation
    8(5/y) + 7y=16.65 then you solce this algebraically for y, now you know what y equals now plug it back into your original x=5/y or whatever it really is and then you'll know what x equals, and once you find x you know how much a small box costs, and for y of course you find the amound of the big box.
    hope that helped if any of this is confusing tell me.

Can anyone list the steps of solving this one. I still can't figure it out.
    its the same as last time just with different numbers. also if youre stuck on this kind of thing just look at a textbook they tell you how to do it and give plenty of examples.

Thread Information