Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renault Sport Spider 1996-1999

Quote Originally Posted by Forever92
    I've always thought that was a nice little car. Then the Elise came along and blew it away.
    Gallic v Brit styling. You either love it or loathe it
    The Renault has sexier curves especially without that ugly window stuck on to keep the British vehicle inspectorate happy
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The windshiedless one must be as close to a motorcycle feel you can get on 4 wheels. No protection makes it a little impractical for anything but perfect circumstances.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I think the Ariel Atom might be a little closer.
    Before Posting Please Watch This Short Video... URL=http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The windshiedless one must be as close to a motorcycle feel you can get on 4 wheels. No protection makes it a little impractical for anything but perfect circumstances.
    Drive it with a helmet

Also for 'normal' use the deflector is VERY effective, it relaly is a neat solution. Just, being an engineer, I quickly guestimated that it coudl never deflect a stone kicked up from a car in front. The only times I didnt' wear a helmet driving it was when "posing" at low speed around town
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Drive it with a helmet

Also for 'normal' use the deflector is VERY effective, it relaly is a neat solution. Just, being an engineer, I quickly guestimated that it coudl never deflect a stone kicked up from a car in front. The only times I didnt' wear a helmet driving it was when "posing" at low speed around town
    Full-faced helmet and a motorcyling jacket to protect the collar bone from stones. If I had this car, I'd fashion a Porsche speedster style windshield and more fully enjoy being topless

Lucky to have driven it
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Full-faced helmet and a motorcyling jacket to protect the collar bone from stones. If I had this car, I'd fashion a Porsche speedster style windshield and more fully enjoy being topless
    Speedster screens dont' protect you from stones either
    I'd rank the spider's aerofoil as similar in protection just

Speedster screens dont' protect you from stones either
    I'd rank the spider's aerofoil as similar in protection just less engineered.

the interior looks simple
    Attached Images Attached Images

it looks quite dangerous to me at any speed.. (taken at the Alpine record attempt in Zolder 2004)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

yeah , ain't any front glass strange that they don't have to wear a helmet on the track...(1000 posts )
    Last edited by forza_autodelta; 10-28-2005 at 02:33 AM.

It's something beautiful Renault has created, creating another excuse for me to live another day in my life.
    UCP's FIRST proud owner of a Nokia N70.
    UCP's HIM and Avenged Sevenfold fan.
    UCP's watch expert.

Quote Originally Posted by forza_autodelta
    yeah , ain't any front glass strange that they don't have to wear a helmet on the track...(1000 posts )
    Looks like it was typical of this years Renault events with hundreds of cars taking to tracks all over Europe. it was all slowish speeds If it had been a proper trackday then helmet is compulsory - even for tintops.

The UK were the ones who forced the windscreen to be developed.
    France accepted the principle of the aerofoil as "protection" for ordinary road use !!
    It really works better than you can imagine.
    As I'd said it was the engineer in me who could imagine a large stone, but in the times I drove the aero one I never had anything hit.
    ( I'm biased about things hitting as I had a wheel nut bury itself in my Mini's oil filter and empty the contents on the motorway. Seeing the mess it made punvhing through the grille and ripping the filter apart makes me more circumspect than others would or need to be )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-28-2005 at 02:40 AM.

Ehh... sounds like the equivilant to hockey players not wanting to where facial protection. Then they get a puck or stick in the face.
    Before Posting Please Watch This Short Video... URL=http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    ( I'm biased about things hitting as I had a wheel nut bury itself in my Mini's oil filter and empty the contents on the motorway. Seeing the mess it made punvhing through the grille and ripping the filter apart makes me more circumspect than others would or need to be )
    lol I've seen a SS which had taken a bolt in the radiator from a SZ , weather was stuffy and some laps later the guy had broken the engine just in front of me , a shame

Quote Originally Posted by Forever92
    Ehh... sounds like the equivilant to hockey players not wanting to where facial protection. Then they get a puck or stick in the face.
    well the difference might be that there aren't homicidal maniacs out there swinging sticks and pucks at you as you drive past

Thread Information