Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Call : Jag will die as long as Ford owns AM

My Call : Jag will die as long as Ford owns AM

OK as we all look at this title and say "Hey what the hell does that mean?", let me explain. From looking at Jags new Tonka-toy-excuse-for-a-sports-car concept, then taking a look at AM's stunning (if slightly repetitive) AMV8 Vantage, I've put my finger on why Jaguar haven't been allowed to make a good sports car since.... well since they've had the money to. I mean, surely a company like Ford can't be so inept as to let Jag slip into the state its in accidently can it? Can it?

As we look back through Jaguar and AM's sports cars, we hit the car that brought AM back into the spotlight, the Vanquish. Now I like the look of the Vanquish, however the problem is that it looks like a Jag. Sure it has the trademark AM grille, but it has a certain sleekness of proportion which was pretty much Jag's thing. AM's have usually had stubby muscular proportions in contrast to Jag's more sleek, delicate lines. And now AM has the sleek lines. Hmmm. Where does that leave Jaguar? Well, I don't know but when a company is marketed and supported on sticking with tradition, then its tradition is taken away, Jaguar arent in a good spot. The way I see it, they aren't allowed to make a stunning sports car (like we all know they can), because of the fear it will come out looking like an Aston.

Whadda we think?

I think Jaguar right now is making the best cars that it has in 30 years and are definitely moving in the right direction.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

yes the new XK is their new direction, sort of the boxster is to 911 as jaguar is to aston martin, the cheaper slightly less fast, slightly less good looking cousin, but i might be able to convince my dad to get the new xkr in a few years!
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Tell you what, I'm gonna get a job with Ford doing design in a few years, I'll worm my way into the Jaguar division and then you guys let me know what to do, together we'll make a beautiful car
    Signature? We don't need no steenking signature

The new XJ sedans are amazing. The Jag Diesel was praised by all, maybe they are moving from sports cars and focusing on Sedans. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Jaguar won't die because they are Ford's luxury saloon department.

Aston Martin make practically unrivalled sports GT coupes, Jag is more of a BMW/ Merc rival.

Jaguar can make good sportscars along side AM though, but so long as they don't compete in terms of performance and price.

Jag couldn't do a £75,000 2 seat coupe because of the AMV8, but they can do a more luxurious 2+2 sort of like the DB9 for £60-70,000.
    Thanks for all the fish

yes, you cant forget the xj, s, and x-types, they are all saloons that jaguar sells alot of

I've heard the X, S and XJ don't sell very well. Ford is ruining Jaguar IMO, because they didn't dare to put the F-type in production (wich everyone loved), but instead they put money in the Jaguar F1 team (wich is now bye bye)
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

since jaguar made a diesel engine, it hasn´t been the same company for me.
    **** ford and **** diesel!!!
    Live and let die

Que le jodan al diesel y que le jodan a ford
    Live and let die

calm down son
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

It amazes me that some people would rather see a company go bankrupt and disappear rather than change their business practices and products to meet changing market demands.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    It amazes me that some people would rather see a company go bankrupt and disappear rather than change their business practices and products to meet changing market demands.
    Jaguar would be in a better financial situation if they had put the F-type in production, definitely!
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

says youk, im sure people who have spent their lives working in car design and marketing know better than any of us, thats their job, they do it well, i persoanlly like jaguar, and my grandparents support them (Xj and S-type) they are a great blend of luxury and sporting heritage

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    Jaguar would be in a better financial situation if they had put the F-type in production, definitely!
    If so, they would've built it. Just because you build a nice car that a lot of people buy does not make it successful. Obviously it would have cost them a lot of money to tool up and build the car. And obviously they had found that there wasn't quite enough of a market for it. Companies don't just arbitrarily decide to not build a car. They have good reason.

Thread Information