Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 10 fastest current production cars.

The 10 fastest current production cars.

Mercedes CLK DTM AMG - 199mph+
    There are a number of cars that could take this last spot here, Saleen’s S7, the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, Pagani Zonda and a good few others, but this Mercedes is here as it’s been restricted to 199mph. Remove that leash and it’d comfortably exceed the 200mph and perhaps even be snapping at the rear of its far more expensive SLR relative. That’s hardly surprising given that the CLK DTM AMG uses basically the same engine as the Mercedes McLaren SLR, the 5.4 supercharged V8 in this installation producing 572bhp. Essentially a race car for the road, the CLK DTM AMG is a limited run production version of its successful German touring car. Costing £180,000 only 100 of these focussed be-winged ultimate CLKs are to be built, and every single one of them has already been sold. Mercedes CLK DTM AMG

Aston Martin Vanquish S - 200mph+
    The original Vanquish could never really be accused of being short of power, but such is the pace of development these days its cheaper DB9 relative was snapping at its heals in the performance department. Costing some £60,000 more than the DB9 that simply wouldn’t do. So the Vanquish S was born, raising power from its front-mounted V12 to 520bhp, a hike of 60bhp. That also pushes the top speed of this British bruiser up beyond the 200mph barrier. As well as the engine modifications the S has a tweaked chassis to provide a more focussed, rawer driving experience, marking it out from the still available regular Vanquish and the DB9. Still largely hand built, in tiny numbers, the Vanquish S is a perfect British riposte to the thoroughbred Italians here; sophisticated, yet brutally fast Aston Martin’s flagship is a very desirable and useable 200mph+ machine.

Ferrari 575M Maranello - 202mph
    200mph+ performance with GT civility, the Ferrari 575M Maranello and its 550 Maranello predecessor changed our expectations of what to expect from a series production Ferrari flagship. Its 508bhp V12 engine is mounted in front of the driver, allowing Ferrari to add some day-to-day usability to its supercar. Far less overt than the Testarossas and 512TR spin-offs that it replaced the 575M Maranello is a hugely accomplished supercar with few compromises. A hugely successful car it’s sold in massive numbers for something costing £160,000+, though as it’s now the oldest Ferrari in the line-up a replacement featuring an engine based on the Enzo’s is expected late 2005/early 2006. It’ll certainly be faster too…

Ford GT - 205mph
    Among all the exotics mainstream manufacturer Ford muscles in with its 205mph GT. Fittingly, the first production Ford model to break the 200mph barrier looks almost identical to the Ford GT40s that were the first race cars to break 200mph at LeMans. Power for the retro inspired machine comes from a supercharged 5.4-litre V8 engine producing 550bhp. Only 101 will ever be officially imported into Europe making it a rare sight, yet despite this it’s the cheapest car so far in our top ten, costing a mere £125,000, which in this company is a bargain. Ford could have sold the European allocation 20 times over, such was the interest in the car, proof indeed that racing heritage builds popularity. A phenomenal machine, that’s about as far removed from a Fiesta as you could possibly imagine.

Lamborghini Murciélago - 205mph
    Here’s a 200mph+ machine that looks positively cheap compared to its rivals. You’ll get little change from £400,000 from the cars above, indeed for some you’ll need to dig behind the sofa for several thousand more, but the Murciélago comes in at just £168,000. That’s genuine 200mph+ capability for British bungalow, not Mediterranean villa, money. The most useable Lamborghini ever, Audi’s input has refined the bull, but not restrained it. Lamborghini’s should be about drama and the Murciélago doesn’t disappoint, the 6.2-litre V12 producing 570bhp, more than enough to propel it beyond 200mph. Four-wheel-drive and active bodywork to cool that mighty V12 means you can actually use its performance too, while the fantastic looks, scissor doors and fantastic engine note are pure undiluted Lamborghini.

Porsche Carrera GT - 205mph
    Unveiled to a surprised audience at the Paris motor show a few years back the Carrera GT is the result of an abortive race programme. Rather than leave the virtually finished project to languish in a corner of the factory in Stuttgart, Porsche decided to make the Carrera GT into a hypercar for the road - and what a job it’s done too. Unable to match the lofty top speeds of some of its rivals the Carrera GT remains one of the best cars of its type. A tricky, involving drive its V10 punches out 604bhp enabling it to reach 205mph. It’s open-topped too, meaning if you’re brave you can reach maximum velocity with wind tearing at your hair follicles. Sure, it’s not as fast as some, but it’s the hypercar you’d be happy to use all day on road and track.

Maserati MC12 - 205mph+
    The MC12 is a thinly veiled racer based on it’s parent company's Ferrari Enzo which allows Maserati to go endurance racing. It’s expected to dominate much like Ferrari does in F1, to underline the company’s superiority on road and track. To satisfy the racing regulations stating that cars must be based on production models, the MC12 fulfilling these rules to the letter, if not the spirit. Just 50 road cars are expected to be built over two years and like the Enzo its structure is built almost entirely from carbonfibre, while power comes from a 6.0-litre V12 – which in the MC12 ‘only’ produces 630bhp. The limited production ensures that it’s more exclusive than the 400 run of Enzos, while if you want your 200mph projectile from Maranello with a removable roof, then you’ll also need to pick the Maserati over the Ferrari. Maserati MC12

Mercedes SLR McLaren - 208mph
    Two famous names collaborate to produce the mighty SLR. An unusual car in the 200mph club due to its grand touring credentials and automatic transmission, the SLR sledgehammers its way to 208mph in comfort that’s more akin to a Mercedes saloon than your usual edgy, focussed supercar. The supercharged 5.4-litre V8 engine produces 626bhp and a sound like a Messerschmitt 109, the side exiting exhausts, and cooling strakes on the wings being very reminiscent of classic Mercedes 60’s supercars like the 300SL Gullwing. At £313,465 they’re not a common sight, but some buyers have been rumoured to have bought several for each of their houses worldwide. Ever faster production AMG Mercedes models are already near the SLR’s top speed, such is the current pace of development in the company.

Ferrari Enzo - 217mph+
    The Enzo is the latest in a line of Ferrari flagship hypercars that usefully punctuate the changes in the supercar world. This £450,000 monster produces 650bhp from its 6.0-litre V12 enabling it to push onto its claimed 217mph+ top speed. Ferrari has utilised its F1 expertise in almost every area, from the brakes, aerodynamics, suspension and of course, the engine and gearbox. Only available with the F1-paddle shift Ferrari wasn’t gunning to make the fastest supercar in the world when it created the Enzo, rather it wanted to make the best. The 217mph+ ability is just a bonus then. Just think too, that the F40, Ferrari’s flagship in 1989, is now outgunned by the new "entry-level" F430…

Koenigsegg CCR - 241mph
    Although rumoured to be very very fast, this car did not officially set a high-speed record until February 2005, when it recorded a top-speed of 388 km/h - 241 mph - at the Nardo test track in Italy, and as such has finally toppled the previous record set in 1998 by a modified McLaren F1. Only a handful of these 806 hp Swedish hypercars are sold each year, though at a price-tag of £400,000 this is hardly surprising. They are equipped with a 4.7-litre V8, belting out an incredible 171hp per litre. However, a new challenger is rapidly approaching in the rear-view mirror: The Bugatti Veyron together with a monstrous 1000 hp engine, which may at long last see the light of day in September - See our story on this .
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

From the Koenigsegg comment this article must have been written very recently.

The Enzo hasn't been a "current" production car for two years nearly.

They've also stopped producing MC12s, although I hear they are supposed to be making 25 more this year.

Also the Mercedes Benz CLK DTM isn't in production either.

Rubbish article.
    Thanks for all the fish

I'm pretty sure the S7 has been pushed to at least around 210 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by carlover
    I'm pretty sure the S7 has been pushed to at least around 210 MPH.
    The TT version?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    The TT version?
    Probably. I'm pretty sure the TT version could go really fast if somebody pushed it to it's limit on the salt flats or some place like that.

Edit: Actually the TT versions top speed hasn't been calculated yet. But I'm pretty sure you could get it going REAL fast.

UCP says it goes 200 MPH.

Couldn't they take off the DTMs "speed limiter" thing for the test? It would go much faster I bet.
    Last edited by carlover; 03-22-2005 at 02:24 PM.

I got this article on MSN, I just skimmed through it and thought I would post it up here, partly because I didn't understand their logic of putting the clk dtm in.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Speaking of stupid stuff, in the shcolastic book of world records 2005 they said that the most expensive current production car is the Ferrari Enzo. Is this because of the 400th enzo being built for tsunami relief?

Crap journalism, that is their reasoning.

They have a bunch of people who know nothing about cars writing about them.

At least they could have actually picked a list of cars in production, but that must be to much like hard work.
    Thanks for all the fish

Few of these cars listed have ever been pushed beyond the 200 mark with proof to show of it.
    eat cicada

there is alot of bullshit when it comes to this topic, a program i was watching claimed that the Saleen S7 was the fastest production car in the world, when its obviously the CCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    there is alot of bullshit when it comes to this topic, a program i was watching claimed that the Saleen S7 was the fastest production car in the world, when its obviously the CCR.
    By any chance was the show a Discovery Channel or BBC affiliate?

In the future I would like to see all top speed tests done on the infinite straightaway, under controlled conditions of the parallel universe in the lost city of Atlantis.
    eat cicada

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    and as such has finally toppled the previous record set in 1998 by a modified McLaren F1.
    Haha .. utter bullsh*t. For a start it set the record in about 1995 and the car was completley unmodified. Secondly, id like to see someone try to modify one .. the current power is perfect because it also keeps weight down .. i dont think you could get much more out of it without ruining dynamics completley. Rofl .. I bet this person comes from sc.net

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    By any chance was the show a Discovery Channel or BBC affiliate?

In the future I would like to see all top speed tests done on the infinite straightaway, under controlled conditions of the parallel universe in the lost city of Atlantis.
    Oh .. the lost city of atlantis has been found. Read all about it on Yahoo news a while ago .. has the geophys or whatever its called of a long straight huge ass wall underwater .. definatley man made. An american found it .. american tourists get everywhere nowadays j/k

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    and the car was completley unmodified.
    Apart from a few modifications.

Namely taping over the indicators (which were different to production models) and raising the rev limiter.

All road going F1s will top out at 220mph, as there was some concern about the small risk of a resonance being set up at a certain point in the rev range which would do very bad things to the engine.

Since only a few owners have even reached Vmax, and only then usually just the once the "lost" 20mph outweighs the potential risk.
    Thanks for all the fish

I picked up a local book and the front had a porshe and it said worlds fastest car @ 389kph ? Anyone seen this? Some new model i think.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information