Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make spoilers work the most efficantly

How to make spoilers work the most efficantly

well these are ways you can make a spoiler run more efficantly.

with cars like the VW beetle, the back is sloped down, increasing drag, it makes it where it doesn't get as much fuel ecomnomy as it should. so with a spoilerm sloped down instead of up ( / <that direction)
    well it camn decrease drag and boost fuel economy. it was proven in a road trip by a person. many cars can get a boost of fuel economy by using this type of wing (the Prius is a exception cause it is very aerodynamic)

also it can help[ performance, casue wings on like the mustang are sloped down, and that will slow the car down by decreasing the aerodynamic efficency, so if it is sloped up (/) it will make the car faster cause again it will make the air run smothly over the car and maybe speed the car up.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

on your highly technical pictures of the slope of the spoiler (hah), which way is the car pointing? if it's pointing left, then that's just a normal spoiler. If it's pointing right, then that's just a big air dam.

That's why I didn't post. I couldn't understand what on earth the diagrams were trying to show.

ok car is like this

spoiler is facing thsi way (/)

on cars espically the Beetle,It will reduce drag and increase fuel economy, espically because of it's position

Could you post more info about the spoiler on the beetle? I wonder how much it would add to the 50mpg we get now.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

ok well this was an atricle ijn a Science Magazine, adn according to the kid who did it, it boosted the fuel economy up to 60.3 MPG, because he eliminated a LOT of drag by creating a smoother way for the air to glide over the car bu making the wing face the opposite directi0n that normal wings, and he said that if the wings were installed backwards, it can reduce drag and by my thoughts, baybe make them faster because the way the wings currently are, or at least on the Mustang, it slows the car down.

On a car like the mustang the spoiler is there for downforce, placing it the other way would create lift.

(im sure knife will give us a couple detailed paraghraphs)
    Last edited by kko; 03-23-2005 at 08:14 PM.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    ok well this was an atricle ijn a Science Magazine, adn according to the kid who did it, it boosted the fuel economy up to 60.3 MPG, because he eliminated a LOT of drag by creating a smoother way for the air to glide over the car bu making the wing face the opposite directi0n that normal wings, and he said that if the wings were installed backwards, it can reduce drag and by my thoughts, baybe make them faster because the way the wings currently are, or at least on the Mustang, it slows the car down.
    yeah that's a load of bull, itll just increase air resistance and screw up the balance at speed

if you're talking about a front spoiler then itll increase front lift cuz ur making more air go under the car, if you're talking about a rear wing it just wont work

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    On a car like the mustang the spoiler is there for downforce, placing it the other way would create lift.

(im sure knife will give us a couple detailed paraghraphs)
    newtonian physics will say if the spoiler was installed that way with the leading edge above the trailing edge that the force of the air acting on the wing will push the wing up and since the wing is attached to the car will lift the car up, this is "good" for economy because its less of a vertical load therefore less frictional force for the engine to overcome, but the thing is when you're talking about a car, which has to turn, this will severly mess up the balance and on the highway WILL lead to accidents since you're getting less grip

it's important to not however ALL aerodynamic aids will increase drag, it's just a fact, aero mods work by creating turbulance changing the pressure of the air across the wing or spoiler or splitter ect. turbulance always slows down airflow increasing drag, the only exception i can think of is if your car is so damned non aerodynamic that the mod actually smooths out the airflow, this almost never happens since the car itself is designed to cut through the air as soon as possible

its important to note that the manufacturers try as hard as they can to minimize air resistance and increase downforce, almost all cars suffer from lift at speed by its tuned so that its still enough to maintain the balance and handling, ways you can decrease drag on a car are to have a flat bottom (engine and tranny parts will create turbulance and lift, but the air also has a cooling effect so i dont recommend sticking a sheet of plywood under ur car anytime soon)

If your spoiler or airdam or what have you manages to re-attach the air flow, then you will get drag reduction....

^^called that one.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    If your spoiler or airdam or what have you manages to re-attach the air flow, then you will get drag reduction....
    wha? me no understand u

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    ^^called that one.
    haha, i wrote that all 4 u

how about putting some kind of plate under it like on the R34 skyline GT-R?(there's a pic in ucp's nissan page of the underside of that car, it looks like most of it is covered.)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Thread Information