Thread: Need advice: which first car?

Need advice: which first car?

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask. Anyone know a more suitable forum for first time car buyers?

Anyway, I live in the UK and I'm about to buy my first car and I know very little about cars (total newbie) so I would appreciate any advice at all. I want to know what you all think are important features when buying a car? What should I know about? I know nothing!

I'm looking to spend very little — less than £1,500 — and I would like the following features (in order):

1. Very low insurance.
    2. Feels good to drive (I've driven about 6 different cars and by far the best "feeling" car was a new Vauxhall Corsa)
    3. Hatchback, so I can carry bigger things around in the back (like the keyboard I play).
    4. Safe construction in case of accidents.
    5. Ideally, good miles to the litre, as I make a lot of long distance trips.
    6. I prefer small cars.
    7. But... I have long legs!

I don't really care what the car looks like since it's my first car and I'm told I'll have a few scratches in my first year. But my personally preference is curvy cars, like Ford's 2-seater Streetka. The Streetka and the Audi TT are the only two cars I like the look of (excluding sportscars). When I've been driving for a while I definitely want to get a Streetka as a second car — which is why I'd like this first car to have really cheap insurance.

Any advice at all (from anywhere in the world) would be really appreciated. I want to get my car bought soon! Thanks!

You've come to the right place A Streetka's probably waay outta your budget right now, but just a normal Ka would be easily affordable I expect. Ka's are very good, very sharp handlers, Economical, small, funky design...

as you are on a relatively tight budget you do not have many options, but in your case I would have a look for a late Peugeot 205 diesel, which would give you a good economy for your long trips and reasonable comfort. Turbo versions are definitely faster but may be above the funds available.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Im looking to get back on the road for a even tighter budget i was hoping for another Mini but prices seem to have trebled since I last owned one :S

In terms of cheap insurance, ones Im looking at are older Fiestas, VW Polo, Pug 106, Corsa, Micra or Metro. Even so Im looking at around £1000 for insurance They're all around the 1litre mark so won't drink petrol, and (I think) all hatchs.

im not too in-tune with the lower priced UK market but how about a Peugeot 106?
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

New cars seem to be out of the question with your budget but then again, I don't know the pricing on most cars in the UK. I'd recommend a used VW Lupo or a Vauxhall Corsa though.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'm not sure how insurance rates relate to England, but have you looked at VW Golfs? Mk2's and 3's are fairly cheap. And I think they came with TDI's in Europe (we only got gas engines in Golfs; Jettas had the TDI's.). Otherwise, look for a 1.8L 4. Polo would be another good choice if you need something smaller than that.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information