Thread: Can you get a car with no CD player?

Can you get a car with no CD player?

Just about to buy my first car (bear in mind I know very little about cars) and I was wondering about audio. All the cars I've seen advertised come with a CD player. I don't use CDs; all I want is some speakers and a socket to plug my mp3 player in. Like a mini-jack socket. It would also be nice to have a little holster to put my mp3 player in when I'm in the car.

Is this quite an unusual set up? Could I buy anything like this or will I have to spend loads of money getting it installed? It seems like everything still revolves around CDs in the car world.

Any thoughts?

what kind of a stupid assed retard question is that ?

you serious, of course you can

firstly you can buy adapters to plug your MP3 player into your sterao, and secondly you BUY the holster for it too.

oh and you know it is possible to remove it yourself
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    what kind of a stupid assed retard question is that ?

you serious, of course you can

firstly you can buy adapters to plug your MP3 player into your sterao, and secondly you BUY the holster for it too.

oh and you know it is possible to remove it yourself
    What I now see as CD players in cars look rather difficult to remove as they have become an integral part of the centre console. It was not such a dumb question at all, and you gave not the friendliest of replies to somebody who openly admits not to know too much about cars.
    Last edited by henk4; 03-26-2005 at 06:17 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If you're talking new cars then yes most of them come with CD-players these days, Not many peeps wanting the ol' tapes these days As henk said most have them built into the dash making them hard to remove.

Older cars have a DIN standard mounting that your CD/tape/radio slides into, you could just remove that and blank the hole off.

Ive never seen a set-up like you decribe, but its definatley possible Thing is I doubt an MP3 player's ability to drive a regular speaker setup, considering they're designed for those small headphones. May need an amp of some kind, im no expert on car audio

Most CD players will play disks of MP3s...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    What I now see as CD players in cars look rather difficult to remove as they have become an integral part of the centre console. It was not such a dumb question at all, and you gave not the friendliest of replies to somebody who openly admits not to know too much about cars.

yeah i know sorry about that henk i was gettin kind of frustrated with something off the forums.

Note to self *calm self down before forums*

Sorry to Dizzy driver BTW
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

It should be possible, but you'll have some difficulty getting it done. I'm sure the dealer will offer some option to whether or not you want the CD player.. if not, get them to manually remove it or you can do it yourself.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I saw a stereo a while ago somewhere for sale, you could plug your USB mp3 player into it and it'd play all your songs.

i was looking at a company site somwhere, and it actually costed an extra $200 to get a tape deck instead of a CD player
    pondering things

bmw 3-series has a port in the dash for Ipods i think
    Last edited by SPHFerrari; 03-26-2005 at 09:54 PM.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Thread Information